The Preaching Work

by TheListener 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheListener
    TheListener

David2002 and I discussed this issue a little bit in a previous thread and agreed to discuss is in another thread.

David2002 I have created the thread but I will leave the first post to you.

Please explain your viewpoint on door to door preaching and its biblical foundation.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I don't think david2002's around, but just in case... *bump*

• ackack
    ackack

Door to door preaching has a biblical foundation? News to me.

ackack

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Ackack:

You need to read the Bible using the Watchtower's patented "ellipses" method of interpretation:

"Go, therefore, and ... preach... door... to... door" (Matthew 28:19 - Acts: 21:30)

Dave

• ackack
    ackack

I clearly need to write an app to make the shortest possible sentence out of the NWT when I get home. I'll add to my WT parody page

(for reference's sake: JW Parody

ackack

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

I think that topic is covered so well in "Christian Freedom" that there is no real need for further discussion.

In a nutshell - NO - unless you need to peddle massive amounts of literature....

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The majority of the preaching work described in the bible was not door to door, but where the people were. To crowds on a hill, in the market places, in synagogues.

Other religions grow at the same rate as JWs without going door to door. How? Because they preach to people, not doors. At work, to friends, in the pub, wherever. It is the difference between preaching with sincerity and preaching under obligation.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Other religions grow at the same rate as JWs without going door to door. How? Because they preach to people, not doors. At work, to friends, in the pub, wherever. It is the difference between preaching with sincerity and preaching under obligation.

From the Yearly Service Report it looks as if other religions are putting Watchtower efforts on the back burner. Er, I mean Jehover is finally closing the door of the Ark so you'd better trot up the gangplank as fast as you can or you're gonna be swimming soon soon soon soon...

• David2002
    David2002

TheListener, Sorry I took a while to respond. I was busy with discussions in the WT Feb. 1 2006 posts, and then I had a problem finding this thread. Well, to begin, I would like to start by saying, as the books of Acts clearly shows, the first Christian congregation was always actively preaching. The apostles had already received training by Jesus. Jesus preached the Kingdom of God publicly, and also peached the message in peoples homes as can be seen by Matt. 5:1, Matt. 9:10, 28, 35). In the very next chapter of Matthew, he instructs his disciples to go out preaching about the Kingdom in Matt.10:5-14. In part he said "When you enter any town or village, find out who is worthy, and stay there until you leave. Greet a household when you enter it, and if the household is worthy, let your peace be on it. But if it is unworthy, let your peace return to you. If anyone does not welcome you or listen to you words, shake the dust off your feet when leave that house or town." (CSB) The finding out of who is worthy obviously required visiting different peoples homes to find them. In Luke 10:1-7, Jesus gives similar instructions, but says also "Do not keep moving from house to house." Some have interpreted that as meaning that the apostles cannot visit peoples homes, and appears to contradict the literal translations of Acts 5:42 and Acts 20:20,21. Apparently Jesus their was alluding to the apostles finding lodging in one home when they entered a new town. The Rev. W. B. Godbey, A. M., in his Commentary on the New Testament, Volume 6 agrees that it does not contradict the apostles method of house-to-house preaching:" 'Into whatsoever city or village you enter, inquire who in it is worthy; and abide there until you may depart.' This is not an interdiction of house-to-house preaching; but their time was short, and the work too great to admit of it. Hence they are commanded to find some place with God's elect, and thence radiate out everywhere, preaching the Word, till they traverse the field." ( Included in the Essential Christian Library CD-ROM) Christians were commanded, by Jesus, to go and make disciples of peoples of all nations, Jesus said the the "good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all nations." (Matt. 24:14, Matt. 28:17-20; Mark 13:10). Also, in the book of Acts, Jesus said his disciples would be his witnesses, and the entire book of Acts show the first Christian congregation action, witnessing about Jesus and Jehovah God. Preaching the good news of the Kingdom, and how God raised Jesus from the dead; how God made Jesus the Lord of the congregation; how Jesus fullfilled the promise of God regarding the Messiah to be King; how God through the Messiah will restore all things in fullfillment of OT prophecies in which all the nations of the earth will be blessed and how Christians were being taken out, separated from among people to be a nation for God's name. (Acts 1:8, 2:17-36; 3:13-25; 4:10-12; 15:14-18) The witnessing method used to preach the good news was in public places, syngogues, in markets, and from "house to house". Godbey agrees that the house to house preaching method was practice in the first century. (All quotes taken from the Essential Christian Library CD-ROM, 2000 edition, which includes his Commentary)

Commentary on the New Testament, Volume 5
    41, 42. This chapter winds up Luke's diurnal history of the Pentecostal revival, graphically describing the wonderful events of the first three days and two nights. Here you see clearly and unequivocally a solution of that vexed question among the warring sects, called Apostolical Succession. The last fifteen hundred years since the great Constantinian apostasy, as the centuries roll by we see the robed priests and plug-hatted clergy of all ages and denominations crossing swords and fighting over the Apostolical Succession, like dogs over a bone, each one claiming it, and anathematizing all of his competitors; all ridiculously stultifying themselves and advertising to the world the egregious folly and silly nonsense characteristic of human ecclesiasticisms. Reader, look here at the inspired record and see, once for all, the fac simile of Apostolical Succession. It certainly means to succeed the apostles, doctrinally, experimentally and practically. The way is open to all who will enter: Get a sky-blue regeneration, assuring you that your name is written in Heaven. Then get sanctified with the baptism of the Holy Ghost and fire, as all the apostles did on the day of Pentecost. Then preach the gospel with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven, on the streets, and from house to house, like the apostles, who had no church edifices. Preach and testify, without fear of men or devils, amid roaring mobs, rocks, mud, clubs, eggs, et cetera, spending the night in jail. When they cruelly thrash you like dogs, in presence of the mocking multitude, go away with bleeding backs and roaring shouts, transported with delight, because you are counted worthy to suffer for Christ's sake. Then you will be in the regular Apostolical Succession. It is free. All who want it can have it. What about the clerical aspirants, going puffing tobacco-smoke and disputing over Apostolical Succession? Not one of them will touch it with a forty foot pole. Luke again here puts to record the facts so prominent in the Apostolic ministry, of preaching from house to house. This is the way to convert the heathen millions and evangelize the slums and the jungles. The Holy Ghost is calling for a round million to volunteer on this primitive Apostolic line of street and household preaching. Who will respond?

Rev. W. B. Godbey, A. M., Commentary on the New Testament, Volume 5
    35. Here we find that the healing of Aeneas was wonderfully blessed of God in the awakening of the entire community, including the city of Lydda and the Plain of Sharon, extending from the sea back to the great mountain highlands of Judah and Benjamin. Consequently, many in those regions turned to the Lord. We see that it is our glorious privilege to serve our Master in the ministry of both soul and body, either proving an inspiration and an auxiliary of the other. Paul commands us earnestly to seek these gifts of the Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:31); among which you will find the "gifts of healings." In the Apostolic succession, we should preach from house to house, everywhere ministering to' the sick in the interest of the soul and body. Thus you will find the Lord will bless your ministry to the sick, making it a valuable auxiliary in your access to the souls of the healthy as well as the sick.
    Rev. W. B. Godbey, A. M., Commentary on the New Testament, Volume 5
    15-21. They constantly everywhere make free to attend the Jewish synagogues on the Sabbath, preaching on the streets and from house to house through the week. Hence they go in and sit in the audience, by physique and costume recognized as Jews by the entire audience.
    20, 21. Preaching and teaching publicly and from house to house, "the whole counsel of God," i.e., "repentance toward God," as all violation of law is high treason against the divine government. Hence repentance is purely Godward. The sinner sees that God Almighty has a quarrel against him. Therefore he trembles and quakes in view of impending doom, weeps, falls and cries for mercy. The proper attitude of faith is "toward our Lord Jesus Christ," since He is our only Mediator and atoning Substitute. When the sinner in utter desperation casts himself on the mercy of God in Christ then and there he receives a free pardon.

I agree with Godbey's viewpoint, that in addition to the other methods of preaching, the first century Christians, and the apostle Paul went from house to house to preach the goodnews. Some argue that in Acts 20:20, where it mentions that the apostle went house to house, that he was referring only to the elders. However, verse 21 clearly shows that he preaching to those in need of repentance. The apostle Paul continues to says regarding his house-to-house preaching that he was solemnly testifying to both Jews and Greeks of repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ." (Acts 20:20-21) The book Word Pictures in the New Testament, by A.T. Robertson, agrees that the apostle Paul preached house to house "By (according to) houses. It is worth noting that this greatest of all preachers preached from house to house and did not make mere social calls." (Vol. III, pages 349-350) Like Jesus, the apostle Paul preached from house to house, in peoples home. In 1 Cor. 11: 1 the apostles Paul wrote "Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ." Today, Jehovah's Christian Witnesses, like the first Christians (including the apostle Paul), preach the word, utitlizing all methods available, including "house to house."

--David2002

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Isn't there a mathematical conundrum to the preaching work? The JW's are 6 million trying to preach to 6 billion, a fair whack of whom are having babies. Is there any way that a group could conceivably call such a work "complete", when there will always be more people coming of age in a given day than there are people preaching in a given day?

If you could stop them all and run around and preach to them, ok. But since you can't, I don't think it's possible. With God all things are possible, of course, but he's agreed not to make a show in this effort, true?

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit