My conversation with an elder

by Dune 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Dune
    Dune

Well this happened to me a few weeks ago, but i chose to post it later because i'm paranoid.

Anyway, I was riding in field service with an Elder and our conversation turned to apostasy. Well, he turned it to apostasy because he usually dominates 99% of the conversations we have.But i digress, this is how our conversation went.

Elder: Well Dune,I was out with Brother Daniels last week and we called on a guy we've been talking to for a few weeks now, his mother was a witness and we were studying with him. Now this guy was always pleasant before, but that day he was different, at the end of the study he went on to start talking about 1975 and how JW's ruined his life.

ME: 1975? I think i heard about it.

Elder: You did? How do you know?

Me: Oh, um, Brother Blue told me about it.

Elder: Oh, well he started complaining about how he didnt go to college and now he's working at a dead end job and how he is blaming jehovah's witnesses for what happened and calling them false prophets. Thats when i had to tell Brother Daniels that we shouldnt go back anymore. Brother Daniels really liked him, but he's clearly an apostate. That just goes to show you, Apostates are everywhere.

Me: hmmm, so what happened in 1975? Brother blue just told me that alot of people left, he called it the great exodus *chuckle*

Elder: O, well, you know, people started thinking that the end was going to come in 1975, and when it didnt alot of people left.

Me: Oh, So JW's just thought that the end was going to come, for no reason, out of nowhere? *innocently*

Elder: Well yes, they were looking for signs, and thought 1975 was the date for armageddon, and it never came, but society corrected them.

Me: Interesting.

I wanted to prod more, but this elder isnt exactly an idiot, It took alot to restrain myself though, lol.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Elder: O, well, you know, people started thinking that the end was going to come in 1975, and when it didnt alot of people left.

Me: Oh, So JW's just thought that the end was going to come, for no reason, out of nowhere? *innocently*

Elder: Well yes, they were looking for signs, and thought 1975 was the date for armageddon, and it never came, but society corrected them.

BWAAAH HAAAH HAAAH

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Dune, Im not sure exactly what your situation is but it would have been impossible for me to maintain the composure that you did in that situation. That elder would have been jumbing out of the car praying to Jehovah for forgivness for sharing the same O2 as an apostate. LOL

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

LMAO... sins of omission... It is very hard to keep a straight face when these so-called 'elders' try to gloss over the societies false prophesies, isn't it?

I doubt I could do it. Most likely laugh myself silly.

Jean

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

UNBELIEVABLE!

Does anyone have any WT info concerning this 1975 stuff? I keep hearing so much about it but I would like to read about what all the fuss has been about over it.

• Dune
    Dune

He was newly appointed, in 2003. So i really dont blame him for not knowing, but i dont know,lol.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Heres just a few for you to get you started.

41) Since the time of Ussher intensive study of Bible chronology has been carried on. In this twentieth century an independent study has been carried on that does not blindly follow some traditional chronological calculations of Christendom, and the published timetable resulting from this independent study gives the date of man's creation as 4026 B.C.E. According to this trustworthy Bible chronology six thousand years from man's creation will end in 1975, and the seventh period of a thousand years of human history will begin in the fall of 1975 C.E. 42) So six thousand years of man's existence on earth will soon be up, yes, within this generation. Jehovah God is timeless, as it is written in Psalm 90:1, 2: "O Jehovah, you yourself have proved to be a real dwelling for us during generation after generation. Before the mountains themselves were born, or you proceeded to bring forth as with labor pains the earth and the productive land, even from time indefinite to time indefinite you are God." So from the standpoint of Jehovah God these passing six thousand years of man's existence are but as six days of twenty-four hours, for this same psalm (verses 3, 4) goes on to say: "You make mortal man go back to crushed matter, and you say: 'Go back, you sons of men.' For a thousand years are in your eyes but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch during the night." So in not many years within our own generation we are reaching what Jehovah God could view as the seventh day of man's existence. 43) How appropriate it would be for Jehovah God to make of this coming seventh period of a thousand years a sabbath period of rest and release, a great Jubilee sabbath for the proclaiming of liberty throughout the earth to all its inhabitants! This would be most timely for mankind. It would also be most fitting on God's part, for, remember, mankind has yet ahead of it what the last book of the Holy Bible speaks of as the reign of Jesus Christ over earth for a thousand years, the millennial reign of Christ. Prophetically Jesus Christ, when on earth nineteen centuries ago, said concerning himself: "For Lord of the sabbath is what the Son of man is." (Matthew 12: 8). It would not be by mere chance or accident but would be according to the loving purpose of Jehovah God for the reign of Jesus Christ, the 'Lord of the Sabbath,' to run parallel with the seventh millennium of man's existence.—Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God (book) 1966 pp. 26-30

6,000 Years Completed in 1975 … In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existence and also the first 6,000 years of God's rest day come to an end? The year 1975… Hence, the fact that we are nearing the end of the first 6,000 years of man's existence is of great significance. Does God's rest day parallel the time man has been on earth since his creation? Apparently so. From the most reliable investigations of Bible chronology, harmonizing with many accepted dates of secular history, we find that Adam was created in the autumn of the year 4026 B.C.E. Sometime in that same year Eve could well have been created, directly after which God's rest day commenced … There is another chronological indication that we are rapidly nearing the closing time for this wicked system of things. It is the fact that shortly, according to reliable Bible chronology, 6,000 years of human history will come to an end. After six thousand years of toil and bondage to sin, sickness, death and Satan, mankind is due to enjoy a rest and is in dire need of a rest. (Heb. 4:1-11) Hence, the fact that we are nearing the end of the first 6,000 years of man's existence is of great significance. In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existence and also the first 6,000 years of God's rest day come to an end? The year 1975. This is worthy of notice, particularly in view of the fact that the 'last days' began in 1914, and that the physical facts of our day in fulfillment of prophecy mark this as the last generation of this wicked world. So we can expect the immediate future to be filled with thrilling events for those who rest their faith in God and his promises. It means that within relatively few years we will witness the fulfillment of the remaining prophecies that have to do with the 'time of the end.—Awake! October 8 1966

If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold: 'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way towards its finish, if not actually gone! This is why parents who base their lives on God's prophetic Word find it much more practical to direct their young ones into trades that do not require such long periods of additional schooling… True, those who do not understand where we are in the stream of time from God's viewpoint will call this impractical. But which is really practical: preparing yourself for a position in this world that soon will pass away? Or working toward surviving this system's end and enjoying eternal life in God's righteous new order? Awake! May 22 1969

• AlmostAtheist
  • Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

StillAwitness, lots of us graduating high school in the 70's weren't allowed to go to college, even tho we had scholarships. I was in 10th grade in 1975 and no amount of pleading from my teachers would change my parents minds, because it was more important to preach in the last hours before Armageddon struck. My Grandfather handed my Father a check for 15k to pay my way through college and my Father handed it back to him. He never asked ME what I wanted to do. Many in the Hall sold their homes and bought trailers so they could full time pioneer, after all, it was just for a few months and then the end would be here! So! Here we all are, and some of us are angry that this happened to us, but to make it worse, they are doing it again, to the next generation of college age people. Aviod higher education, preach, preach, preach, the end is coming any second, bla-bla! Every time I think about that check, it riles me up, because I wound up struggling to pay my own way later.

• DannyHaszard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit