At what age did you start driving a car?

by JH 37 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I always was fascinated with cars and driving. When I was a child going to school, often I sat in the front seat, just to look at the bus driver change gears, press on the clutch and just by looking at the way he did it helped me when I drove my first manual transmission car.

Here is a picture of my first car. An old 1974 Volks Wagen Beetle

The first time I drove a car by myself was in the driveway, advancing and backing up, and I was 8 years old. Then at age 11 or 12, i used to press on the gas pedal and held the stiring wheel when my mom or dad was driving, and I was seated next to them, on the passanger side. I just loved the feeling of driving a car.

Then around the age of 17 I had my drivers licence and drove my parents car every week end, going out in bars.

• Ellie
    Ellie

I was 26 yesterday and I still can't drive

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Hi JH,

You americans are lucky when it comes to driving.
    We are not allowed to take lessons until we are 18. And lessons only from schools, special cars etc. very expensive, easy 2000 $.

I was 20 my first lessons, 21 when i got my licences. Failed 2 times, which is about the avarage here

• blondie
    blondie

Legally?

I actually starrted out with a tractor--at 7.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

I was about 19 when I passed my test, the very same week my best friend and the person who taught me to drive died in a car accident (Going to a district assembly). This had a big effect on me and I hated driving for years, I would finish my journeys just soaked in sweat. I still dislike driving but don’t fear it anymore. I often ponder what the world would be like without cars, I’m sure it would be a much nicer place. It used to be one of my major hopes for the new system

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

17 when my mum illegaly let me drive in empty parking lots. 18 when I got my licence. Got my first car at 18, the love-of-my-car-life

• mouthy
    mouthy

because I was a submissive wife!!! I was not allowed to learn while my hubby lived. BUT!!! when he died I did !!!I was 58 years old

• JH
    JH
    I was 26 yesterday and I still can't drive

What's stopping you?

• JH
    JH
    I actually starrted out with a tractor--at 7

• Ellie
    Ellie

What's stopping you?

I had a few lessons when I was 17 but then I left home and couldn't afford to buy a car so I thought that it was a waste of money continueing my lessons, and now I just have never gotten round to it.

I do have a new provisional liscense though and I'm going to start taking lessons soon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit