The Marks of a cult

by mouthy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• mouthy
    mouthy

A while back some asked what are the marks? I read this I thought it worth posting
    1)The first mark is manipulation of Scripture The Bible is twisted to fit the leaders or groups interpretation. Private interpretations are forbidden because the leader of the cult is the only one( or ones) who understands Gods voice properly
    2) Many times cults manipulate peoples minds. No individual thoughts allowed. Education is usually discouraged - the new convert is bombarded with the cults doctrine & literature. Member are encouraged to leave or neglect their own family & life-style for a brand new one.
    3) Manipulation of Time....Since salvation comes exclusively from the teachings of the group,in many cults members spend much of there time working for their organization. Family,school,leisure,sleep,& even food are most often neglected.
    4) Finally ,cults typically manipulate reality...They tend to have an exclusive " Us" "Them" mentality in which society & old associates are all out too get them. Any one outside of the group are suspect.

ANY ONE BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!!!!!!!!!! I was !!!!

• mouthy
    mouthy

bttp

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Some great info here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/91207/1.ashx

It is a bulleted list of identifying marks of cults as listed by Steven Hassan in his book Combatting Mind Control.

After each of the author's identifying marks, I matched up Watchtower quotes that match those identifying marks.

Rather interesting if you ask me.

OK, I'm done patting myself on my back.

-ithinkisee

• mouthy
    mouthy

Oh wonderful I missed that post Thanks alot interesting

• CinemaBlend
    CinemaBlend

#1 isn't so much the mark of a cult, as the mark of a crappy religion. Cults don't have to be religious in nature... if we're just talking about cults in general.

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated
    It is a bulleted list of identifying marks of cults as listed by Steven Hassan in his book Combatting Mind Control.

I printed this out and sent it in our DA letter last summer. Hope the elders learned something!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Below are a couple of threads that I wrote a while back

Definition: Spiritual Abuse

Mind Control Techniques and Jehovah's Witnesses

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

What I find interesting is that no matter what scale you use the WTS/JWs fits the criteria.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I know from my time in that the jws absolutely hate being described as a cult. They have written wt articles trying to prove they are not, and most of the time I was in I would not have accepted that I was in any way part of a cult, but there is no doubt in my mind now that I was, and an extremely dangerous one at that.

I suppose that is why the jws won't accept they are a cult, you have to be away from the wts to realise what it really is.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Ah yes I remember one of those articles. If read with a critically thinking mind it is very easy to see the flaws in their logic

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit