Costing a JW video

by Free2Bme 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Free2Bme
    Free2Bme

Just wondered if anyone had any idea how much it costs to produce any of the JW videos?

Free

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

nothing.....all work is done by volunteers

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Well...there is the equipment costs and the materials. So each video should cost approx. $1.00, maybe less depending on if they buy their tapes in bulk or not.

Slipnslidemaster: "I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves."
    - Ludwig Wittgenstein

• Free2Bme
    Free2Bme

Anybody prepared to give a serious estimate?
    I've really no idea. The 'guide' price for it's videos from the WT society is £10.
    I want my JW mum to know that even on a contribution basis the WT is making big bucks.

TY

Free

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Hey! That was a serious estimate. I can by a 10 pack of tapes for about $12.

So then let's very conservatively guess $2 for materials per tape.

At a "contribution" of $20 per tape thats a pretty decent profit.

Slipnslidemaster: "I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves."
    - Ludwig Wittgenstein

• jonjonsimons
    jonjonsimons

Free,
    Hmmmm....let me see.

1. Video camera costs = 0.00 (donated by JW that works at Videos R Us because higher education was a no no!)

2. Actors pay = 0.00 (time donated by out of work JW actors that never won an Oscar and are extremely bitter about it)

3. Editing costs = 0.00 (again time donated by disgruntled JW with stars in his or her eyes)

4. Soundtrack costs = 0.00 (does the name Prince ring a bell, or should I say Brother Nelson)

5. Directors fee cost = 0.00 (because all the members of the GB take turns as Director so as not to cause disillusionment among the rank and file)

6. Food Service cost = 0.00 (Brother Emeril Legasse is in the back room as we speak cooking up some wholesome blood sausage BAM)

7. Materials cost = .79 if you buy the blank tapes in bulk as I'm sure the cost conscious Brothers at Bethel do. (We wouldn't want them spending the publishers donations any other way now would we?)

So there you have it, a grand total of 79 cents.
    And how much are they charging, I mean requesting that publishers
    donate for these tapes???????
    Things that make you go hmmmmm!!!!

In all seriousness,
    Jon

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Wow, really good point!

Whatta good profit! And, if the Kingdom Hall does not pay the full "suggested donation" Thier literature supply (food from God) gets cut off! What a loving arrangement in disguise!

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

The same thing for the CDs, they can be bought wholesale for about $.39 or at most $.49 a piece and they want how much for them, er I mean they suggest a donation of how much?????? Profit city, they are masters at eaking out change from a penny!!! Buff

• Kismet
    Kismet

Note: To house, cloth and feed a bethelite it costs $5,000 per year (circa 1992) add a thousand to keep it current.

Plus utilities for running the equip, plus sets, plus travel

Kismet

• Free2Bme
    Free2Bme

Thanks for your replies.
    Dunno what the 'price' of the cds are but I really appreciate mine that I use to research the literature LOL
    Where do they get £10 from for the videos? I can get top movies for less than that. Like I said in another thread it's not as if Kevin Costner stars in them or they are directed by Spielburg!!!
    To Kismet
    Think about the cost of making even a budget movie. Everyone from extra to star gets a wage. They have to be fed, housed and fussed over for the duration of filming. Not forgetting make-up artists, hairdressers....the list is endless. The film finally is made at huge expense and regardless of being a hit or flop all the above are counting the cash newly padding out their pockets - all except the star who doesn't have pockets big enough to hold his. Next the film goes to video (very quickly these days along with DVD) and obviously the price of video represents a healthy profit for the Movie maker concerned. What sort of price are we talking about? About £12. Not bad considering the enormous cost of the movie.
    Even taking into consideration the cost of housing Bethelites which is paid for by contributions, and taking account of post and shipping,there is no way that the Society's videos cost even a third of their suggested 'price'.

Maybe someone can help me out here? I remember reading an article about the mags from someone who held a position at the factory and had to make a report on printing costs. The report was on the site as well and proved the mags cost something like 0.05cents each to print and distribute when the price of the mag was 25cents. I had it saved but lost it in a crash and can't find it.

Free

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit