The Blood doctrine - A Medical or Scriptural issue?

by Jourles 33 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Jourles
    Jourles

If you were to ask any witness whether or not the blood doctrine is scripturally or medically based, you would receive the same answer 100% of the time. "Scripturally, of course." But is it really?

There is one component in particular which shows the WTS uses medically based information to cement its postion on what is and what is not allowed for a witness to accept. This component is a red blood cell(erythrocyte). All components could be used for this argument, but for this topic, RBC's provide the most damaging information.

The WTS's stance on RBC's has never changed. For decades upon decades, this deep red colored component has been banned. If a witness were to accept a transfusion of packed RBC's, the acceptance of such would result in one of two outcomes: First, the witness in question could automatically be cast out from the organization if they felt that it was needed in order to save their life. This would be the same as disassociating yourself based on your actions. The other outcome would be that a witness accepted the banned component but felt horribly guilty after being transfused and sincerely repented in front of the elders. This would likely result in losing privileges for a time and possibly being privately reproved. In either case, the witness who accepted the transfusion was simply trying to save his or her own life. No one wants to leave a spouse, child, or any other family member in dire straits because of health/medical issues that affect them.

In breaking down the RBC we find that it contains a protien called hemoglobin. This protien makes up 97% of a red blood cell. The remaining 3% consists of an outer membrane. Hemoglobin's primary task is the transmission of oxygen from the lungs to the body's tissue, organs, and muscles. A fairly important job!

So if the WTS bans the use of RBC's, what is the reason for doing so? They have never given a clear cut response to that question. There is no biblical verse which breaks down the various fractions and components of blood. It is simply their own idea as to which components are allowed and which ones are not.

We need to ask ourselves, if RBC's are a banned component but hemoglobin is allowed, what really is the difference between the two? Answer: Only a very thin membrane. Remember that 3%? This measly membrane can mean life and death to anyone that is transused with the wrong type of blood. Ahhh, so what is the big deal with this membrane and how can it cause death? Each RBC outer membrane is made from a mesh-like protien that can bend, twist, and contort itself to make its way through various passages in the bloodstream. Professor Amy Sung of UCSD's Jacobs School of Engineering says this about RBC's: "Red cells are one of the few kinds of cells in the body with no nucleus and only a thin layer of protein skeleton under their membrane: they are living bags of hemoglobin." The membrane surface contains an antigen which classifies a person's blood type. This is where we get the terms ABO and Rh. In very simplistic terms, each of the blood types can be compared to different colored water balloons. A water balloon holds water inside a very thin layer of rubber. The content of different colored water balloons is the same, only what you see from the outside varies. The same applies to RBC's. A, B, O, and Rh blood types are all different "colors." The protiens contained inside the "balloons" are virtually the same.

Ask yourself, why is the WTS allowing the use of a protien such as hemoglobin, but banning the use of the very thin membrane which carries hemoglobin? Remember, the bible is very silent on this matter. If the bible does not provide guidance as to the reason for this stance, what else remains? If a witness felt that they were following the scriptures but the bible is quiet, could it possibly be a medical issue? It obviously appears this way. If there truly was a scripturally based reason to avoid this membrane, where can we read about it? It's nowhere to be found in the bible. Was it simply a man-made rule to avoid the use of this membrane? All thinking witnesses must come to their own conclusion.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

It is neither.

The issue was created by ignorant farm boys who wanted to control the life and death issues of their followers as in Jonestown.

Apart from that, Rutherford was probably terrified that if he had a vaccination or transfusion, the donation might react with the alcohol in his blood and explode.

Seriously though, they argued "scripturally " against all kinds of things. But when you read carefully they just asked "how can we use the bible to support our ignorant assumptions?"

HB

• skyman
    skyman

Good information.

Jourles the bible does not agree with the Blood ban at all. I have mentioned this many times here. I have reseach that totaly proves the Society's stand on blood is not scriptual. I use only the bible and the Insight book. I have shown five different Elders, all agree that my reaseach is correct and out of the Five Elders one has totally quit, another had allmost quit, and one cried and he is on his way out now his wife called and to me to never talk to her husband again. I showed it to two C.O.'s and both agreed that my information was correct. I will sent it through a PM it is very long but if you read it you will be able to prove to yourself and others that the bible does not support the Society in any way shape or form on no blood transfusions. If any body wants a copy please give me a PM.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Was it simply a man-made rule to avoid the use of this membrane?

"Yes? Unless the Governing Body says different, I'm going with yes. Because my conscience gets to decide that, right?"

"But the Blood brochure says my conscience gets to decide...oh, I'm held accountable to men for what my conscience decides...yeah, well the brochure didn't say that part. That does make things different. So, I'll say yes unless the Governing Body says differently, because if it is unscriptural they would know and I might not."

"Well, that's because the Scriptures don't always tell you what is unscriptural. Sometimes you have to depend on God's channel which is a group of earthling men that God said to put your trust in. But it is okay because they are guided by and directed by holy spirit. Don't get me wrong, they aren't inspired by holy spirit, just guided and directed by it, which really means the same thing but there must be some difference otherwise they wouldn't have said it."

"No, that is also one that isn't directly based on the Scriptures, but it must be true because the organization keeps growing."

"Yes, I know many other religious organizations are growing more but they celebrate Christmas, so of course they are growing. It isn't evidence of direction of holy spirit like it is for us. My answer for now would be yes unless the Governing Body says otherwise. Because they are guided by holy spirit to know things that go beyond the things written and to understand things that can't be found in the Bible. Even things about the future, which is a really important thingfor an uninspired prophet to be able to do because without inspiration you could get the prophecies wrong and people would wind up teaching lies. I sure am glad I don't have to worry about that."

"Oh no, you are misunderstandng what happened. They weren't speaking as prophets when they told about what was going to happen before it happened and said that the Bible confirmed that is must come true. They never exactly said the prophecies were from God, even though the Bible is 'God's word' and that is where they said the understanding of the prophecies came from. They are true prophets, they just aren't inspired and don't speak God's words when they prophesy. It's very simple, when you look at it the right way. So, I'll say yes for now unless the Governing Body says otherwise."

"Oh, they said otherwise? Well then, I suppose I'll be willing to die for a group of uninspired 'earthling men' who bear God's name but don't speak for him except when they say they do. After all, I trust them. What does the Bible say? 'Put your trust in nobles and in the sons of earthling men to whom salvation belongs.' I love that Scripture. It is one of my favorites. Psalm 146:3, you know."

"Well, of course I will! What did you expect? You don't think I'm going to leave the ark of salvation do you? This organization is God's means of saving mankind, if I leave I will die forever at Armageddon. I can't afford to do that, better to die now inside the ark than to die at Armageddon with a full supply of borrowed blood."

"Well, yes Jesus is the means for salvation but he is the Greater Noah. No, Noah didn't technically save anybody I suppose. The ark did, and that's why I have to stick close to the organization. Excuse me, please, the Doctor is coming and I have to make sure she knows what the Governing Body said. Oh, Doctor!"

Eerily,

AuldSoul

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

If I asked an informed JW would he agree that GB allowed components of blood including haemoglobin? And is that on pain of conscience?
    I did as one young JW, her response was blood transfusion is not allowed full stop. Maybe they are keeping it low profile even amongst members.

• Jourles
    Jourles

I also understand that the bible does not prohibit blood transfusions. But from a witness perspective, once you drag in scriptural reasoning, you tend to lose most of them. This is why I prefer to not bring up the bible when talking with someone about blood. Your average witness really only has two scriptures that they go by --- Lev. and Acts. When you can break it down to an almost elementary level for them(just think of the Awake), it helps them see what you are trying to explain.

Besides, a lot of jdubs can picture water balloons and relate to them.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

And that, my dear Spectrum, is why they are going to get spanked mercilessly in court if this goes to trial in a narrow focus. You hit on the head.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• skyman
    skyman

Jourles I use these two scripture to prove them wrong I love them to bring up those two scriptures. Here is only a part of my information

Lev. 17:15

read “As for any soul that eats a body [already] dead or something torn by a wild beast, whether a native or a alien resident, he must in that case wash his garments and bathe in water and be unclean until evening; and he must be clean.” Here God say’s even the NATIVE could eat an animal that he personally did not kill and he knew that this animal had not been bled, and not be in violation of god’s law on blood. {A native, is a person that was clearly under the Mosaic Law and bound by it} How can this be? A Native, an Israelite eating un-bled meat? If eating blood was in violation of god’s law on blood which we all know it was, how could we explain this verse? If Jehovah did not make an exception to the rule how can this be explained? If we truly know Jehovah, and understand his high regards for life it is very easy to understand. Look at Duet. 14:21 it is clear here that Jehovah told Israel not eat a body already dead. Then why would he change it at Lev. 17:15?
  • skyman
    skyman

Jourles here is a samaple for Acts

Look at Acts 15: 17-20. It clearly say’s “abstain from blood”. Lets take a closer look... “Hence my decision is not to trouble those from the nations who are turning to God,” Jehovah was not giving the nations a new command at Acts 15: The new converts came under the same law that had been in place for thousands of years. What was that law Jourles the society answer it here

This is clearly stated in the Insight On the Scriptures Vol 1 pages 345, paragraph 6 “At Deuteronomy 14:21 allowances was made for selling to an alien resident or a foreigner an animal that had died of itself or that had been torn by a beast. Thus a distinction was made between the blood of such animals and that of animals that a person slaughtered for food. {Compare Le 17:14-16} The Israelites, as well as alien residents who took up true worship and came under the Law covenant, were obligated to live up to the lofty requirements of that Law. People of all nations were bound by the requirement at Gen 9:3,4 but those under the Law were held by God to a higher standard in adhering to that requirement than were foreigners and alien residents who had not became worshipers of Jehovah.” Notice those under the Law were held by God to a higher standard regards blood. I would like to ask a question here. Could an alien resident break other Laws, stealing, dealing treacherously with his fellow man and get away with it? No, because he was under the legal Laws of Israel, not the Mosaic Law given to the Israelites.

• skyman
    skyman

The Society clearly show in their own publication the INSGHT BOOK the truth about blood. Two different laws one for the Isrealite and one for the rest of the world. the Isrealite law was done away with when Jeus died but not the Law of NOAH and the erson under NOAH"S law could eat blood if he did not do the killing the BIBLE SHOW US THIS CLEARLY. I sent a copy of my ionformation to the Society and in response they asked me not to show this information to anyone. Why because the bible is clear!!!!!!!!!!~

SHOW THIS TO OTHER WITNESSES IT WORKS. I do it all the time. IT WORKS VERY WELL>

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit