WHAT'S NEW? DOORSTEP BIBLE STUDIES!

by stillAwitness 22 Replies latest social relationships

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

So I'm in service this morning and the young sister I was working with had what they call now a "doorstep bible study"

Its been encouraged by the FDS that if one has a regular return visit with an interested one that one can hold a bible study by having them read one or two paragraphs out of the Require brochure and ask the questions right at their doorstep.

I've never actually seen it done and boy let me tell you it was the most awkard, ridiculous thing I have ever seen! The poor sister (who was nothing older thatn 15) is standing at the door having this grown woman read a paragraph out of the Require brochure, and after having her ansewring the question and read a scripture she then then tells her she'll see her next week!

Imagine how weird it is for a JW to come to your door not to just leave magazines with you every week but to attempt to have a bible study with you standing in your pajamas at the crack of dawn on your doorstep under a 20 degree wind chill.

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

I noticed the Jan KM showed that pubs are conducting 0.3 BS. Subtract family studies & you can see why the GB is desparate to do something to get the BS increased.

I personally would hate to see any increase in the BS.

B

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

It came out of the recycle bin...been there, done that!!!

Swalker

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

This is not an uncommon endorsement for the doorstep bible study:

You can have a bible study with someone and he or she won't even know it!

Isn't that kind of against the point?

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    one can hold a bible study by having them read one or two paragraphs out of the Require brochure and ask the questions right at their doorstep.

Wouldn't this be a ''Require-brochure'' study? I get the impression the Bible is only used as a 'back-up' to support the literature. Cynical? Moi?

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

This happened to me a few years ago. After being out for many many years, and moving hundrends of miles away to a different state, a couple came to my door. I accepted the magazines, and she came back the next week to go over the first couple paragraphs to make sure I understood them or if I had any questions. Then she came back the following week and every week after that for two years. But of course I wasn't progressing like I was supposed to and then I whipped out the UN article and asked her about that. When she left after that visit, she never came back. That was two years ago, a few months ago, someone stuck an Awake in the door don't know if it was the same sister or not, and they haven't been back.

lisa

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

This must be an all time low.This just proves the societys fascination with numbers.It's like there a bad fantasy team owner.Sometimes the stats don't show the results.This cannot be a good time to be a rank&file dub right now.How humiliating,standing there,spoon feeding a elementary school level peice of religuos cult propaganda to an adult.funny stuff.

• JT
    JT

It came out of the recycle bin...been there, done that!!!

#########

bingo, years ago the service dept came up with that same idea,- it was based on if you can read one bible text- discuss it a little and you do it at least 2 or 3 times consistently you could count that as a study, then after awhile ask the person would you like a BS and the person says well i don'thave time

you do a Emieral from the food channel on them- ;

"BAM!!!!!!!!!!!! you have been having a study for the last 3 weeks what did you think of it, and at that point the poo soul is drawn into the years of slavery

it all starts out with Do you have 1 Hour to spare for the bible once a week

• LDH
    LDH

JT,

True. Of course the point is, they don't do this because they care about someone studying the bible, they do this so that you will count RETURN VISITS as Bible Studies!!!

• Legolas
    Legolas

They don't know that is what the JW's are doing to them!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit