Jesus, the people of his day, and of theology

by drew sagan 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

Well Pete, I can certainly say I am against religous indoctrinanation. The reason, I feel strongly as I do about the bible, is some of the things I have witnessed, and tested, and found to be true. I could give you the whole story but it would take a really long time, please do not think I am keeping anything from you. Lets just say, I prayed and asked for "The wisdom of Solomon", to help the people the JW's had said were condemned. I started a deep search into the scriptures. Threw aside all the garbage I had been indoctrinated with from birth, and started over with a bunch of questions. Along the way I had friends who also have had questions, and I searched for them too. I actually found myself questioning God and his practices. In this, I never questioned Him about being right or wrong, that would be pointless. He is always right. So I had to go deeper, and see WHY things had to be the way they are. Some things would appear "wrong" at first, but you have to find how they are "right". In this search I had to face a few of my own demons as well. as well as warnings to stop before I went crazy. Well, to stop for me be the same as sitting back and watching you and the people I love die. And if I go "crazy" or get killed in that pursuit, I will be in good company. I think i am obeying the commandment Jesus gave us. i also think alot of others who say they are, are not. Remember this, If He knows the future, He knows what I was going to do before I did, and why. Hopefully it is good in His eyes, and I will get my wish. If it is not, I won't. If I get my wish EVERYONE is going to make it to His "rest".

Judas Iscariot.

• myelaine
    myelaine

Leolaia asked??
    "What is there in the Pastoral epistles that wasn't the case in the first century? What in them is to only be understood as referring to the distant future, and not the situation as it was at the time?"

perhaps this question can be answered within the text...

According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was COMMITTED TO MY TRUST. (1 Tim 1:11) Who desires ALL men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth.(1 Tim 2:4) I write so that you may know how to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and the ground of the truth.(1 Tim 3:15) Now the Spirit expressly says that in the LATTER TIMES...nourished in the words of faith and of the good doctrine which you have carefully followed...give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with THE LAYING ON OF THE HANDS OF THE PRESBYTERY. (1 Tim 4:13-14) ....and to the doctrine which is ACCORDING TO GODLINESS.....O Timothy! guard what was commited to your trust...

Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through THE LAYING ON OF MY HANDS. ( 2 Tim 1:6) .....to light through the gospel to which I was appointed a preacher, an apostle, and a TEACHER of Gentiles...hold fast the pattern of sound words which you have heard from me...Be diligent to present yourself APPROVED TO GOD, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Tim 2:15) But know this, that in the LAST DAYS perilous times will come (2 Tim 3:1)

And that from childhood you have known the HOLY SCRIPTURES, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. ( 2 Tim 3:15)

PREACH THE WORD! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. ( 2 Tim 4:2)

love michelle

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Myelaine, notice that the wording of chapter 1 Tim 4 about some otherwise unknown 'saying' of the spirit about 'later times' is applied to the present situation of the readers.

1 But ( A ) the Spirit explicitly says that ( B ) in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to ( C ) deceitful spirits and ( D ) doctrines of demons,

2 by means of the hypocrisy of liars ( E ) seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron,

3 men who ( F ) forbid marriage and advocate ( G ) abstaining from foods which ( H ) God has created to be ( I ) gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.

4 For ( J ) everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is ( K ) received with gratitude;

5 for it is sanctified by means of ( L ) the word of God and prayer.

6 In pointing out these things to ( M ) the brethren, you will be a good ( N ) servant of Christ Jesus, constantly nourished on the words of the faith and of the ( O ) sound doctrine which you ( P ) have been following.

The book was written many years after Paul and was addressing issues that the writer felt threatening to his form of Christianity.

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

Does this not cover our present situation as well? I could be wrong........

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Are you suggesting the unthinkable?:

.......... (H) mockers will come with their mocking,.......... For ever since the fathers (L) fell asleep, all continues just as it was (M) from the beginning of creation."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit