Article in the 80's on stolen babies for organ transplant, in Awake.

by Gill 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

Does any one remember the Watching the World article that claimed babies were being stolen in S America, Colombia I think, though I could be wrong on the country, but being stolen so that their organs could be harvested and sold for transplant. It turned out to be wrong and they had to print some sort of a retraction?

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

Awake 1989 3/22

Horrifying

Organ Source

Early in 1988 a not-much-publicized discovery was made at Santa Caterina Pinula, Guatemala. There, according to a resolution of the European Parliament, local authorities found a "casa de engorde," or "fattening center," where newborn babies purchased for as little as $20 (U.S.) were sold to American or Israeli families for $75,000. The purpose? So that the families purchasing them could use the infants’ organs for their own children who were in need of organ transplants, said the resolution. It also states that in 1987 a similar "fattening center" was found in Honduras "near to which the bodies of many children were found, some of them new-born babies, from which one or more organs had been removed." Another was found in Guatemala City "whose register indicated the sale abroad . . . of 170 babies, the major part of which were sent to the United States for the removal of organs." The Parliament’s resolution has been issued to various agencies and governments, calling for appropriate action to be taken against those responsible for this horrible practice.

I couldn't find a WT retraction but I did find a link that explains the myth.

http://usinfo.state.gov/media/Archive_Index/The_Baby_Parts_Myth.html

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Awake-1989-3-22-p.-29 Watching the World Horrifying Organ Source Early in 1988 a not-much-publicized discovery was made at Santa Caterina Pinula, Guatemala. There, according to a resolution of the European Parliament, local authorities found a “casa de engorde,” or “fattening center,” where newborn babies purchased for as little as $20 (U.S.) were sold to American or Israeli families for $75,000. The purpose? So that the families purchasing them could use the infants’ organs for their own children who were in need of organ transplants, said the resolution. It also states that in 1987 a similar “fattening center” was found in Honduras “near to which the bodies of many children were found, some of them new-born babies, from which one or more organs had been removed.” Another was found in Guatemala City “whose register indicated the sale abroad . . . of 170 babies, the major part of which were sent to the United States for the removal of organs.” The Parliament’s resolution has been issued to various agencies and governments, calling for appropriate action to be taken against those responsible for this horrible practice.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Saoirse:

My apologies! I must have been looking the article up when you had already entered it.

Very sorry for the repear!

Cheers!

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Meant to say, sorry for the repeat! When you get old like me, sometimes the fingers just don't want to work right on these keyboards!

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

Repeats and repears are fine. Just don't send me any reapers.

• Gill
    Gill

Thanks Saoirse and Atlantis.

If I remember, the 'answer' or retraction came in a question from readers section. The 'reader' wanted to know why Awake mag had published something that turned out to be untrue without researching the story first...'just publishing an urban myth'.

I can't remember the Awake mags answer except that it did say that the story had not been proved.

• LDH
    LDH

Of course, one would think that Jehovah's true organization would not be tricked so easily!!!!

• Erich
    Erich
    The 'reader' wanted to know why Awake mag had published something that turned out to be untrue without researching the story first...

They are anxious of law suits.

That is the reason why many articles seems more and more superficial to each reader .
    Most of the content is cheap sale-ware.
    If they really have so much fear before lawyers in the USA, then
    they should print their Watchtower and Awake in a free open-minded country with restricted attorney`s authority. The USA and many European countries lives in a type of "advocracy" and not in a type of "democracy".

E.

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

I found the retraction.

Awake 1990 2/8

From

Our Readers

Horrifying

Organ Source Awake! has unfortunately repeated a groundless rumor, which is quite understandable given the fact that it appears as if the European Parliament had given its imprimatur to these reports. These rumors have done damage to the humanitarian cause of adoption.

T. L., U.S. Information Agency, United States

The

March 22, 1989, "Awake!" item entitled "Horrifying Organ Source" was based on a resolution published by the European Parliament, a credible organization. However, that organization now claims that it was the victim of misinformation. "Awake!" has since investigated matters and learned that while there were several well-publicized arrests in Guatemala for child trafficking back in 1987, there is no proof that children were being sold for organ transplants. Instead, the original reports state that babies were being obtained and sold illegally for the purpose of adoption.—ED.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit