I have a couple of questions about the bible..Please help! Elders got upset

by DavidChristopher 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

I tried to ask elders and they got upset with me. If bad associations spoil useful habits, Why did Jesus do it? Why is nothing new ever discovered from the Bible? When we are turned away at the door, why do we not search the scriptures to find more information to convince that person to turn back from their bad ways, so they will not be destroyed? Would that not be "Treating others as we would want to be treated." I mean, we would want others to do that for us if we were misled and facing destruction. Why did I get into trouble asking questions about things I read in the bible? Are we not bible students? How can I learn if I am not allowed to ask questions? Jesus said "This means everlasting life their taking in knowledge of You, the only true God." I am confused how I am doing anthing wrong? Should I wait for the next Watchtower? Please help me, is searching the scriptures wrong? I am afraid I am going to be barred, and my friends and family are not going to speak to me anymore.

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

Welcome.

There is a lot to look at on this board.

If you check out the 'BEST OF' section here you will find answers to just about anything you could ask.

Happy hunting & best wishes.

B

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Well done for actually having the nerve to ask questions; you are not alone in this! DB74

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome David,

I hope that is not your real name as if it gets seen on here by people that know you, you will be in real trouble. The Watchtower Society (WTS) is classified as a high control group, which means that asking questions is not encouraged. Your inquisitive nature makes you appear distrusting of the WTS, an indication of being on the first steps to 'apostasy'.
    Do not ask them any more Questions!!!
    Elders only know what is in the Watchtower articles so they can not answer anything outside what you can do by researching the Watchtower CD library on your own, without getting a bad rep or being disfellowshipped.
    This is a great forum for getting information. You can ask anything and get a range of answers, from which you can make an informed decision. You will get indepth answers to what the Watchtower teaches along with many people telling you why they may personally disagree with it.
    Your question about being turned away from the door is very good. Witnesses are generally more interested in hours and placements than putting every effort required to to convert people. Going door to door is the key indicator. It is generally a waste of time to spend a whole morning and talk to one or two people. If they copied Jesus they would talk to everyone everywhere.

• These3Words
    These3Words

Hi DavidChristopher,

You are 100% correct when you said that Jesus would associate with people with bad habits.Jesus told us to turn the other cheek as well. Search for your answers within, God is within all of us not just a select few, ie JW's.Sometimes the answers are right in front of me, I just pick up the Bible and pray. Most of the time my hand will turn to the scripture that will answer my questions.Do it in private, don't tell anyone.No one needs to know what you pray about anyway,Matthew:6, 6 "when you pray go to your room and close the door,.Pray privately to your Father who is with you"

Your relationship with God is personal. I personally would be dissapointed if you did NOT help whom ever you could and I believe that God and Jesus would be even more so!!

Agape Love

• VM44
    VM44

Hi David,

This scripture came to my mind with regards to your first question. --VM44

As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the customs post. He said to him, "Follow me." And he got up and followed him. While he was at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat with Jesus and his disciples. The Pharisees saw this and said to his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" He heard this and said, "Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. Go and learn the meaning of the words, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' I did not come to call the righteous but sinners."(Matt. 9: 9-13)

• These3Words
    These3Words

David,

Please do remember, any questions you pose to the Elders will open Pandora's box. Be prepaired for what you know will happen. Also remember this, most of the people in this chat room have either been in your shoes or know someone who has. We can help you through this if you let us, and don't forget your Heavenly father is right there at all times.

Good Luck And God Bless You

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

The problem is that the WTS does not care what the bible says, and the elders do not either. The WTS is interested in you placing more literature for them and mindlessly devoting all your time to them. The elders are interested in upholding the laws of the WTS not in bible research.

You are doing nothing wrong by examining the bible, I encourage you to do so. By doing so you will find that what they teach is not the truth. Jesus said that salvation was through him but they would have you believe it must be through their organization. They even changed the baptism vow from dedication to god, jesus and the holy spirit to recognition of the organization's authority!

I urge you to continue your research but if you don't want trouble I would advise you against asking the elders any questions. Many here have "faded" without trouble and are now no longer part of the organization without their families shunning them.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi David,

Not every question can be answered definitively. A lot of times the best we can do is guess.

• FSMonster
    FSMonster

When we are turned away at the door, why do we not search the scriptures to find more information to convince that person to turn back from their bad ways, so they will not be destroyed?

If I can paraphrase a verse that instructs that if they don't wanna listen then leave that house blah blah. Plus, what're you gonna do when the householder says 'no!'? It becomes a practical matter and 'pushing it' will only make people angrier.
    Your real dilemma is why should those poeople who, whether by choice or by chance, have never heard the 'good news' be destroyed? How can one choose to serve god if he never knew all the cool details about him and his 'organization'? Even if JW's knock on their door and they say they're not interested, how do they know what it is they're rejecting? Write them off as 'goats'?
    Now if god won't send angels to preach to billions of those who don't know of Jesus' sacrifice, how long would it take to the active publishers to reach majority of these individuals? Even if they're led by holy spirit this would take decades. And what if the person doesn't wanna listen the first time? Does that warrant auto-condemnation or do you go back later?
    Finally, doesn't bible itself admonish believer to 'keep testing their faith as to whether these things were true or not'?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit