Visual perception

by startingover 10 Replies latest jw friends

• startingover
    startingover

I came across this test of perception.

This is not a joke, nor one of those screaming videos which make your heart stop. This is for real.

Take the test... Most likely 70-80% of you will answer incorrectly, showing your own likelihood of making mistakes.

After you follow the link, here is the test:

The video takes a little while to load. Give it time.

There are two teams passing a basketball - the team you will be tracking is wearing white shirts.

You want to count the number of times the ball is passed from one white-shirted team member to another white-shirted team member. We are counting PASSES, not touches. Bounce-passes count as a pass.

The video runs about 10-12 seconds.

Most large groups of people will count anywhere from 11 passes to 18 passes!

Why the large variation?

Stay tuned for a post explaining that phenomenon.

http://viscog.beckman.uiuc.edu/grafs/demos/15.html

• Satanus
    Satanus

8?

S

• fraidycat9
    fraidycat9

Not to spoil anything. Suspicious by nature and not easily fooled. What's the "G" ;-) doing there?

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

I saw this on Dateline or some such news show about a year ago.

I counted so carefully and was amazed at the commentary afterward. I think I still have the show on tape somewhere in my collection.

-Aude.

• Dimples
    Dimples

I counted 15 times

DIMPLES

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

There's something like 11, but if you really want to know, why don't you ask the gorilla?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I counted 21 passes (11 between white shirts), and saw the furry gorilla...

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I watched it once before reading any other comments, and counted 14 passes between white shirts. I never saw a white shirted individual pass to anyone other than another white shirt.

I then read the comments and watched it again. I still counted 14, but this time I saw the gorilla. I totally missed him the first time.

Then I watched it a third time, concentrating on the white-shirted folks that WEREN'T holding the ball, in case a blackshirt slipped them a ball while I wasn't looking. I saw a questionable spot, but didn't pursue it.

Finally, I watched it a 4th time without trying to see anything in particular. The most striking thing was the gorilla wandering in -- unregarded by the group -- thumping his chest, and walking off.

Was the point that I saw what I was told to see? If so, it's a powerful point. I can't believe I missed that gorilla the first time.

Dave

• Gozz
    Gozz

I counted 13 or 14; minimum 13, maximum 14 ('first pass').

startingover: it appears you didn't instruct that the sequence be watched once :)

leolaila: how many times did you view the video? AlmostAtheist: excellent info about your experience; your observations are consistent with published research. You probably wouldn't've missed it were you to be counting passes by the black shirts; most people (perhaps >55% or so) 'll miss the G the first time when they're counting passes by the men in white; it's called "Inattentional Blindness" (IB)...

There's a 2000 Harvard paper on this research.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Gozz....The first time I watched it, I saw 21 passes and saw the gorilla. Then I thought it was too many passes so I reread the rules and tried again, that time I counted 11 between the white shirts, but I have no idea if I undercounted them...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit