As a JW did you ever have a personal relationship with God?

by Evanescence 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

As a Jehovah's Witness did you ever have a personal relationship with God?

Evanescence

• defd
    defd

I seriously doubt that ANY ACTIVE and FAITHFUL JW would say no, do you?

D.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

Defd, what has your personal relationship with God been like?

Evanescence

• defd
    defd

Thinking of Him and Jesus with every move I make. Wanting to please them and make them proud of me and a sadness of displeasing them.

D.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

Personal encounterments?

When you pray and he responds to your prayers? Feeling his presence? Been filled with his love?

Guidance? Miracles? Dreams?

Yes I understand the burden of sin I would never want to offend God...

And a question out of curiosity... what do you hope to achieve through posting here? my main reason would be out of understanding other churchs and learning other point of views... but you being an active jw.... what would be your main motive here?

Evanescence

• defd
    defd

As I stated once before.To encourage people not to give up on Jehovah!

D.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

This was always the silliest notion I remember. It's like saying I have a relationship with Hemingway because I read one of his books. How silly. The word requires an exchange not talking to an imaginary friend. Heck, people don't even know how to say his name correctly. So much for that relationship.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence
    As I stated once before.

Sorry I don't go on this forum much and read every post so apologies for missing it

To encourage people not to give up on Jehovah!

Thats awsome

FreeWilly this is not the thread to debate Athiesm

Evanescence

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Sorry evanscence, I wasn't trying to start a debate, nor was I trying to belittle anyone's belief. I thought maybe you were asking from an agnostic POV. So, I guess you were asking what I believed while a dub? At one time I thought I did have a relationship. But this is one of the things that also caused me to leave. I remember really trying to understand these Mormon's I was talking with. I couldn't figure out why they couldn't see how unfounded their beliefs were. They believe in some really bizarre things, at least from my perspective, that seemed obviously fictitious. I also recalled some people I talked with that were just as stubborn in their religions. So I turned my attention to my own religion and discovered a parallel it had with every other religion I knew. It too spoke of supernatural events and divine interactions with humans from long ago that for some reason are never experienced today. The only connection I did supposedly have with god was through prayer, just like everyone else. However, as a JW, I believed that my prayers stood apart from the prayers of others, in that mine were actually being heard whereas others were not. To make a long story short, I grew skeptical of my prayers being heard. I had no more basis to believe they were heard anymore than the next guy. In the Bible Jesus said "anything you ask in my name I will go to the Father and he will grant it to you" I've never witnessed that for myself or anyone I knew. Nothing ever came from them, just like everyone else. Nor was there any evidence of the flurry of supernatural activity that was allegedy happening. So the idea of a "relationship" was actually something that bothered me. If we were supposed to have one with God, the very least he could do was say something. Heck even if it was through one of his "myriads of myriads of angels" it would have been sufficient. Of what purpose would ignoring someone have? To some it up, I thought I had a relationship with Jehovah. But I was doing all the talking. It was like I was rambling on the telephone only to realize that the other caller isn't on the line. I effectively said "Hello is anyone there"? ....then hung up the phone.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

The occasional feeling of closeness to God as a JW is what makes me doubt if anyone is ever really close to God, or if God is just something we make up in our heads.

So if God is real and the JWs basically spoiled it for me, then I am pissed. I guess that is the biggest thing I am trying to figure out before I go all Tetrapod or something.

-ithinkisee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit