Greatest guitarist of all time?

by perfectpie 45 Replies latest social entertainment

• perfectpie
    perfectpie

I enjoyed the greatest bands link. How about the 5 greatest guitarist of all time. Here are mine:

1. Andres Segovia (The guitar might not have been a household name without him. The Beatles may never have been legendary either.
    2. Randy Rhoads (played for Ozzy Osbourne. Only two albums but the way he channeled classical influence and scale modes over to Rock music was unforgettable. He was able to give theme to the songs he was playing on. Reminds me of Bach in the perfection yet charm of his work.
    3. Elliot Easton (Who? Yeah I know a little obscure but I will never forget the tasty notes of this Cars lead riff maker. The spaces in between were only rivaled by his delicious bends and slides.
    4. Jimmy Page (Smooth use of dadgad tuning, who could strum like this guy?)
    5. Jimmie Hendrix (what can I say about him that hasn't more eloquently been penned! With or without the drugs creativity on the guitar has never been matched.

Other notables: Yngwie Malmsteen, Micheal Hedges, and Tom Morello.

• Seven
    Seven

Hi Perfectpie, Great choices! Here are mine, pasted here from an old thread.
    Here's my 10: Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughn,
    Eddie Van Halen, George Thorogood, Johnny Winter, Rick Derringer, Jimmy Page, Brian May.

• peterstride
    peterstride

Hey Seven,

I wanted to e-mail you re: your band choices...but U don't have an e-mail listed. Can U e-mail me instead?

Peter Stride
    Toronto, Canada
    [email protected]

• Cowboy
    Cowboy

Great guitarists all,but Stevie Ray Vaughn is the greatest.Mark Knopfler deserves to make the list,as well.

• Simon
    Simon

I have a few tracks with Al Di Meola playing guitar... quite awesome.

• crossroads
    crossroads

Perfectpie---I'll respond to this one being it is in the
    right forum, I went to the band thread but it was in the
    wrong place so I did a sixties thing and boycotted.
    Hands down Jimi was the best, Then theirs ERIC
    everyone else is in another building.
    Knopfler is fantastic if you get a chance to see him
    live he'll will "make it cry and sing."
    Of course B.B. and Buddy,
    Then another whose life was cut too short Duanne Allman
    watchout he'll take you to "The Whippin Post"
    ROY BUCHANAN---He does a song"The Messiah will come
    Again" that is FROM the GUITAR GODS.
    I'm sure if I looked it up I could find his name anyway Elvis's
    early lead guitarist he did for the King what Charlie Watts
    did for the Stones.
    Kieth--because of the Riff or is that the Bo Diddlie beat
    I'll leave Page out and Go with Ritchie Blackmore.
    Ah it is all just "Smoke on the water" anyway or was that
    a "Stairway to Heaven."

Crossroads of course Clapton is GOD

• Kismet
    Kismet

My votes have to go to Mark Knopfler and Clapton and B.B

The complexity of their playing leaves me in awe. I listen to some of their tracks and cannot believe how they make thier guitars scream, sing and speak with so many voices.

Peter: Welcome to the We Love Seven admiration Society. There are several here with lifetime memberships. The line forms behind Cross, Cowboy, Caole, me and about 50 other guys who appreciate intelligent women. LOL

Kismet

• peterstride
    peterstride

Wow...I'm part of the "We Love Seven" admiration society?

Well, I do have a thing for Jeri Ryan...but I don't think our Seven looks anything like Jeri. I won't question you on the intelligence part however because I enjoy reading her posts (you hear this Seven?)!

I wanted to ask her about a couple of the guitarists she mentioned (because they are my favourites also). But, by doing an internet search I came up with the info I wanted anyways.

But, Kis...you & Expat had me in stiches on the other thread (August Toronto gathering report)!!!

Talk 2 U again,

Peter Stride
    Toronto, Canada

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

jimmy hendrix of course...and stevie ray vaughn (cowboy

i know the pieces fit because i watched them fall away...

• Seven
    Seven

Peter and Kismet, I'm embarrassed. So, lets talk guitar. How could I forget to mention Robert Johnson, John Petrucci(Caole would agree) and Joe Pass. Phil Keaggy!! Whoa baby!! Richard Betts "pickin' on that red guitar," along with Chet Atkins and Roy Clark.

Seven

Peter, We'll have to chat sometime about music.
    Kismet, I had forgotten Knopfler, an obvious brain cramp on my part.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit