Mention of Jehovah's Witnesses in popular entertainment

by enderby 38 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

In the movie "Strange Relations" starring Paul Resier there's a comment made about there being Jehovah's Witnessess at the door. I can't remember the exact phrase that the lady used (For those who haven't seen it, I don't want to ruin the plot; but it's not about dubs.).

• prophecor
    prophecor

Now that you mention it, there's a space in the movie, right in the begining of " Don't be a Menace to Society While Drinking Your Juice in da' Hood " that has one of the Wayans Brothers, one who was actually raised around " The Truth ", ironically.

An up to date black-exploition movie spoof of several of the black movies like Friday, Dont be a Menace to Society, That Janet Jackson & Tupac Shakuur movie which name escapes me, as well as host of others. It's a Black Classic. Should be in everyones collection.

• carla
    carla

The movie 'Clue' (like the game) It doesn't come and say it is jw, a guy comes to the door with what looks like it could be a wt and wants to talk about armageddon, the end is near, etc...In the end he was really a cop, arrests the guy and says, 'I told you the end was coming'. Me & daughter were giggling so hard!! husband had missed that entire part. and didn't have a 'clue'!

• enderby
    enderby

here's a few more: 1. Tribe Called Quest Lyrics from the song "The Chase Pt 2" "Me not deal wit no changaram, bangaram business I got soul on a hymn, like Jehovah's got the witness" 2. Far Side Comic Two suited persons can be seen walking towards a house's front door and inside are a family of blobs (the cartoon caption reads "The Blob family at home"). One member of the Blob family is turned to the rest saying "Jehovah's Witnesses! Quick, make like bean bag chairs". 3. The Eels' (alt rock band) song titled "Jehovah's Witness" Lyrics: Jehovah's witness leave me alone Jehovah's witness i'm not at home Keep on a-knockin' and ringin' the bells Knockin' your way straight to hell Jehovah's witness let's not pretend That for one second you are my friend Knock on my door and i'll turn out the light Close the curtains and turn in for the night Jehovah's witness why must it be Just when i'm feeling good i look out and see You walking up in your very nice suit Like i'm some old lady who'll give up her loot Jehovah's witness leave me alone Jehovah's witness i'm not at home

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

I only saw this in passing... Didn't buy the book.

There was a storyline in a Punisher comic a few years back where Frank Castle used an elder as an informant. Maybe he even posed as a Dub before blowing away the bad guys. I thought it was funny because the artist put a big ol' cross on the KH.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I was just looking for it, but couldn't find the CD by Jimmy Buffett.

Wait - just found it: Cultural Infidel on Banana Wind: Second Verse -

"Loose cannon, Armageddon Preachers at the door, Spittin' poison at the boys 'n girls, on da dance floor. I hear them in the congress I see them on TV, I hope the inquisition remains a memory."

Me too.

I can remember dozens of references, including most of those mentioned. The Wayans bros. were raised with a JW father. One of them does a great routine about what it was like after their dad would go house to house in the project where they lived!

S4

• sf
    sf

Bozo The Klown's SideKicKs, back in the day:

LOL!!! sKally LOL!!!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

lol, nice photoshop sf

• sf
    sf

Pfffftt...I wish I could take the credit for this gem. I found it on the incredible internet!!

Glad you too can enjoy and appreciate its representation.

LOL!!

sKally

• nilfun
    nilfun

Love the way bro. Sydlik's kickin' it old school.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit