Beautiful picture

by philo 10 Replies latest jw friends

• philo
    philo

... http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010814/sc/flying_wing_10.html

I wonder how the Watchtower or Awake would propagandise this?

philo

"Philo's precepts are more probable than Cleanthes'" David Hume

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

I just wonder who was able to get above it to take the picture!

Seriously, it really is a great accomplishment, and will pave the way for some great unmanned-aircraft-based communications systems at a fraction of the cost of putting up additional satellites.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I was in Kauai two weeks ago, and the whole island was talking about this flying wing....ok, I didn't talk to the whole island, but I talked to a few people and it came up a lot! Very interesting!

Oh, and did I mention I was in Kauai two weeks ago? It was great!

--LisaBobeesa

• RationalWitness
    RationalWitness

Philo,

You asked: I wonder how the Watchtower or Awake would propagandise this?

Answer: Easy--Amos 9:2

If they dig down into Sheol, from there my own hand will take them; and if they go up to the heavens, from there I shall bring them down.
    Look for it soon under "Watching the World." (Well, if this was fifteen years ago, you'd see it there ... perhaps not any more. Must not seem too threatening, now must we...)

Cheers,
    Rational

• philo
    philo

http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0SAAgVCMZ95!avYp0m1LCOhacURNvjG!nGUuVe2J7!VhZyhNckq2qdWj2s97Syp7ku90i8hH!4SWlRei7xsA*F4H8WN3AqIZpuO!7wMZC!jhsVMgK4wYPwA/bw-lthumb.flying_wing_ny123.jpg

Rational:

Yup, and they would probably make it black and white, to imply a 'bad thing' as if looking back from the four-colour paradise future.

Chuck:

Nasa wants to put one in the martian atmopshere to collect data. What an achievement.

philo

• Simon
    Simon

Awesome... I saw the takeoff which looked a bit ropey on our news but I guess once it's up it's ok as long as a strong breeze doesn't hit it.

I can see the sky buzzing with them as cheap satellites and occasionally bringing down the odd passenger flight. The Awake is probably waiting for something like that to happen.

Or, how about if they sold advertising space on the underside of the wings and the WTS could claim that they were "[advertising] signs in the heavens" ... get it? no? why the groaning?

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

I would imagine those things fly much higher up than commercial aircraft dont they??

• Simon
    Simon

yeah... but when they are on the way up there or on the way down, well...

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

It is very hard to get two planes at the same place at the same time even if you are trying to do so. It is only when they are on the ground or in the process of takeoff or landing where - if everything is done wrong - they possibly could bump into each other.

An aircraft like this would present no hazard to commercial aviation. Just like any aircraft in controlled flight, it would follow a specific path to its target altitude. This one would stay three times higher than any civil traffic doing circles for a long time. It would then descend along another closely controlled flight path when its mission is over. Just because it is unmanned doesn't mean it is just flying around willy-nilly. It is still closely controlled both from the ground and internally. All aircraft in controlled airspace (manned or unmanned) will follow the same flight rules, and these have very wide margins of safety built in.

• philo
    philo

I find aeroplanes are second only to women in beauty. I suppose I'm gonna get flamed for this but when I really look at them both, I'm thinking 'form and function'. It gives me such a kick. I spent more time reading my grandfather's WW2 book of planes, as a pubescent, than I did my father's playboys!

Show me those sexy formulas.

philo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit