anniversary of JFK assassination

by desbah 18 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman

Sitting in Math class at the university I went to, long before I became a dub. Several nearby classes broke early and we watched people file past the open door heading outside. The professor saw it, too, and excused himself to go see what was going on. He never came back. After a few minutes, somebody said, "Well, we may as well leave early, too," and got up and left. Soon we were all walking outside. I noticed people were running in the direction of the Student Union. I was strolling in the direction with a classmate, both of us oblivious to the news. Someone came running up behind us and as he passed, said: "President Kennedy's been shot. It's on TV!"

We raced to the student union and stood in shock around a black and white telecast. We got there just in time to hear Walter Cronkite take off his glasses, look up at a clock on the wall, and announce the time of JFK's death. He had tears in his eyes. We did too.

The next four days were surreal. All of us were glued to the TV. Life just stopped. There has been nothing like it in my lifetime, except for 9-11.

A young idealist, I came to feel that Nov. 22, 1963 was the day America died. Events in subsequent years appeared to bear that out. The country went down the toilet in the '60s. That's probably why I was ripe for dub recruitment in the '70s. Looking back today, I have more and better perspective.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Sitting in Mrs Weaver's 3rd Grade classroom. She came in and told us the president was shot and had died. Most of us did not know what a president was yet - those were more innocent times.

The next several days we watched the coverage on the news.

Sixteen years later on that date, my daughter was born.

Jeff

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

desbah - This is for all the ex-JW's on that dreadful day..... do you remember where you were when JFK was shot in Dallas, TX?

Carol 2nd Floor of Tuckerton Elementary School, changing classes between Science and US History.....Eddie Grayson passed the 6 of us in the hall and told us the President had been shot. Fifteen minutes later we were called into the auditorium to watch the coverage on TV

AK - Jeff - 18 years ago - Sitting in Mrs Weaver's 3rd Grade classroom. She came in and told us the president was shot and had died. Most of us did not know what a president was yet - those were more innocent times.

60 years ago

2nd Grade classroom, we were called into the auditorium to watch the coverage on TV, Teachers were crying. Too traumatic for young'un's, should have just ignored it.

https://rumble.com/v3x8l6d-jfk-assassination-60th-anniversary-full-story-kill-shot-the-cias-sv40-cance.html

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

It’s a really long time ago and I was still young when they did the movie about it. One of the more progressive Presidents killed by his own party because he wasn’t progressive enough on Cuba.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

I was sitting in class—3rd grade. The Principal put the news feed on the school intercom.

My dad a non JW, was glued to the TV. He loved Kennedy. A Guadalcanal WW2 vet he had the highest regard for ballsy PT boat crews. Very sad and upset.

Mom, a JW, said "It's just a sign of the times...the Russians did it! Armageddon is around the corner!" Not sad.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

yes--i remember exactly where and how i heard:

i was walking towards the entrance of the rented school hall that served as our kingdom hall--- one of my jw pals caught up with me and told me about it.

I was 15, and would be leaving grammar school for good a few weeks later. A few months after that i was guilted into becoming a pioneer by listening to DO Drage grinding on about it at an assembly. My pio partner was the same lad who told me the news about JFK.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I was barely 4 years old, my mom was sobbing, and saying, over and over, “he loved Jehovah’s Witnesses, he loved Jehovah’s Witnesses.” I became so scared, because I thought we were all going to be tossed into jail or something. (I was only 4). I thought this president was the only thing keeping us from persecution. I became scared, too.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I always thought if there had been come kind of conspiracy, it would have come out eventually. Someone would have leaked it. It's hard to keep anything secret if you don't kill everyone who knows the secret. And it used to be hard to believe that anyone would go that far. More and more it appears there was some kind of conspiracy. Unfortunately, with most anyone personally involved already dead, I'm sure we will find out what "they" want us to know. Would not surprise me to see it blamed on Jimmy Hoffa. <jk>

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I was in Catholic grade school. (The nuns were so proud we had an Irish Catholic president.)

Anyway, the principal cut in and announced over the loudspeaker: ‘say a prayer because your president has been shot’. A short time later she cut in and said: ‘say a prayer because your president is dead’.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit