Elder-speak....How do they manipulate us?

by jgnat 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Trace
    Trace
    "....those phrases and arguments designed to appease, coerce, or guilt congregation members in to a desired course. "

George Couch, the Mayor of Bethel, after my (then) father-in-law telephoned Bethel because he felt "something was 'wrong'":

"What do you two have to be fighting about ....your laundry is done for you, your meals are cooked for you..."

• jgnat
    jgnat

Meals cooked, laundry done. Sounds more like a kept pet than a vital and intelligent human being....

Welcome, Trace.

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

Jgnat,

Don't mind DIM he's always been one to play devil's advocate. Not sure why he still likes to hang here if we're just a bunch of exjw cult members.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

A few they tried on me when I was missing meetings and field service:

How do you think Jehovah feels about your not being at his spiritual table?

If Jesus returned now and you were at home watching tv on a meeting night, what would you say to him?

Hasn't your life improved since you came to know Jehovah? Surely you don't want to go back to the way you were before you found the truth?

Have you forgotten your obligation to spread the good news?

What better place is there to be than in Jehovah's house?

I always felt that this line of questioning was aimed at making me feel guilty enough to toe the line and let them control me again, but by the time they tried all this crap I has decided to leave anyway, so it didn't work on me, though I know of a couple of others they guilted back into the fold. On the whole, I gave pretty evasive answers or just took the p**s when they cornered me, and made an excuse to leave.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thank you, dedpoet, good ones!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit