Question regarding my nephew

by caz 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Frog
    Frog

Hi Caz, what a super aunt you are for being there for your young nephews when they most need you:)

In my personal opinion the worst thing you could do (which is seems very unlikely that you would do anyway) would be to outright oppose JW doctrine, as it will only make him grip on tighter. Subtleties are definitely the way to go, and he needs that you yourself used sound reasoning to discern that the JW's don't have the truth as they say. No question though that you're going to be in for a bit of a battle with his elder uncle, but please hang in there, he really needs you to fight for him. He's at such a fragile age himself, and he doesn't need to add to his confusion during this most painful time, so ease him out of it nice and steady. Since he is almost at adult age, he really does need to come to these conclusions for himself.

I think I could safely say that for many of us here the lack of "brotherly love", sincerity and a general not living up to the standards that we so believed in was the first clencher, and then working through the doctrine and reasoning through it was the second step.

Maybe don't go in too heavy at first, but the WT's membership with the UN has been a huge stumbling point for many JW's. I will post you a linnk to the United Nations confirming their association for nearly a decade until 2001.

http://www.un.org/dpi/ngosection/doc.htm (this link so you can trace its authenticity)

http://www.un.org/dpi/ngosection/watchtower.pdf

The heart of a JW's belief lies in their belief that the 'Governing Body' members are the 'Faithful & Discreet Slave' that Matthew 24:45 speaks of. There is only 1 mention of the FDS in the whole of the scriptures, for a free-thinking person it isn't difficult to reason that if this supposed FDS are intended to lead the little flock/great crowd here on earth during the "last days", that surely Jesus would have left a definite certainty of their authority, not merely an ambiguous reference to it in the new testament? If you allow him to read that passage of scripture for himself with an open mind he might be able to discern for himself that there is a definite ambiguity about it. Faithful & Discreet to me are merely adjectives, they're not intended to be taken up as a collective noun.

The most important thing once he has become convinced of these things to is to reassure him that no-one can take his belief in god away from him. The JW's as I'm sure you well know (as Christian fundamentalists) teach their followers that the only way to the "true god" is through them. It is this that gives them tremendous power over their parishoners and stops them from leaving. While I personally no longer hold a belief in god, the powerful social manipulation of the JW organisation is strong enough to convince and persuade you that to leave them means to lose a relationship with God/Jehovah. That is the part that is most difficult to bear, and the reason why the WT teaching is so insideously destructive.

I wish you all the best with your young nephews, and am very sad to hear of your loss. It does not of course surprise many of us here that the local congregation failed to provide the love, support and clarity that the boys father was promised he would get in his time of need. Not that I'm about blaming the organisation or its members, but many of us have found that our own conviction for right, justice and love was not truley replicated by the organisation as a whole.

Please keep us updated on your progress, you're got the right idea by doing your homework. Pls PM me anytime:)

luv from frog x

• Tez
    Tez

Once he starts to attend the meetings again this is the way it will go 1) they will try to convince him that his father's death was a result of his depression, which is a result of imperfection 2) they will try to teach him that the best way to come to terms with his grief is to immerse himself in congregation activities 3) they will also want to convince him that the only hope he has of seeing his father again is if he becomes a fully baptized witness 4) they will also try to make sure he doesn't blame them for their lack of love, and may love bomb him too to try to make up for their own guilt!

This is what you will be up against, they will be very subtle! You however, have to help him deal with his grief, while at the same time trying to help him get on with his life. He is still very young, and I think the suggestion that you go with him to a meeting then question him on various things is a good one. It would be less subtle to introduce him to this site at this stage, as he is very vulnerable and may go in totally the opposite direction to which you want him to go.... despite his doubts about the way his father was treated he may be scared to make a break with what he has known. He has been warned about apostates and will have a fear of getting involved with anything at this stage. I agree with taking him out on meeting nights, but not forcing him to decide between the two. Just help him see that there can be a good life for him outside the JW's....

Hope some of this has helped, will be thinking of you

• Jez
    Jez

Is he receiving counselling at all? Given what he has been through and that he is not really talking, it might be a good idea for him to talk to a "worldly" counseller.

Jez

• sandy
    sandy

<div>Hi Caz.

You are a great aunt to your nephews.

My advice is to send your nephew to therapy to deal with his father's suicide. Maybe you can seek out a therapist who has experience with J-dubs or cults.

Also, as the others have said, I don't think you should be critical of the witnesses and oppose his attending to the KH.

I wish you and your nephew all the best. </div>

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

"Treat Witnessism like a bad habit and don't enable it." I have to admit I love that one.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Reward him for missing meetings by scheduling things he loves on meeting nights. Make it easy and fun to not be a Witness. Gary Buss

I agree with Gary. Show him that the world is not full of sexual deviates like the apostate WT corporation would have people believe.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Caz, what a good thing that your nephew has you for his aunt. May I suggest something that worked for me in a

similar situation? A young 16 yoa friend whose mom left the JW's 5yrs ago has kind of taken to me as her

"auntie". She proudly came to me last yr telling me she was going to the KH and starting a Bible Study. I knew she

had no kind of religious training other than this, but I also knew she was really glad when her Mom got out.

So I asked her what they were teaching, ( the Daniel stuff,) and then I asked her if they were teaching her about

Jesus. She said, not really. I went out and bought her a teen bible at Walmart, a really cool study bible...I told her

to look up and read things on her own, but to esp read John 1:1, and compare it to her NWT. She was very surprised.

I didn't say much, just gave her a hug (your nephew needs these!)...and told her that I would be glad to help her read through

anything at anytime. I did tell her that sometimes we need to compare, take our time, when following organizations that

want us to read their materials. If she wants to be a Christian and follow Christ, she can use a Bible from Walmart, or

any other place and compare them and find that they are all in unison, even though a bit different wording, they have the same meaning. All I know now is that she is happy, and not attending the KH. SOMETIMES we are "afraid" to approach people on this, but if we don't, we can be sure the JW's will, and I truly believe it is up to us who know the real 'truth' about "the truth"...to speak to these people, esp the kids.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit