Australian music.

by avishai 22 Replies latest social entertainment

• avishai
    avishai

I love Australian rock.
    Cruel sea, beasts of bourbon, Nick Cave, the Church, Dave Graney, Midnight oil, hell, even early INXS (Don't change is one of the best songs ever written) and even some kiwi stuff, like Split enz/crowded house.

So, for the ozzies on this board, what is it about Oz that gives the music it's distinct sound. I know it all sounds different, but there seems to be an eerie, longing kinda thread that runs through all of it.
    Also, what are some of YOUR favorite groups/singers from down there?

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

UH, Keith Urban...hard to believe that an Aussie won CMA singer of the year! How could that happen??? I like him, though!

Swalker

• Frog
    Frog

I think it's great Avashai that you like some of our stuff J Sadly our muso’s don’t always get the recognition they deserve o/s L

So, what is it that gives Aussie music it’s distinct sound?? I’m probably just going to pull this one out of my froggy bum, but I’d suggest it’s the pressure to hold on to a truly unique and original sound. Those Aussie bands that sell out on us don’t tend to do as well overseas or back home. I’d say that most Aussies prefer homegrown talent, and that’s what keeps the market thriving here. I guess most Aussie music offers us up a sense of identity that’s familiar, something we can relate to, and just how you foreigners like to think of us. Even those early songs of Cold Chisel and Midnight Oil, which are well corney now, are like Aussie anthems to most...even to those with refined music taste.

There’s a stack of alternative Aussie bands that really do well here, that you’ve probably never heard of. JJJ are big promoters of new Aussie music and have launched most of the big rock Aussie bands on to the major music scene (I believe INXS and Midnight Oil were a couple of theirs). They put out an album called home & hosed every year which is a compilation of all the best Aussie stuff throughout the year, I always try to get my hands on a copy if I can.

frog xx

• Frog
    Frog

For a moment I was going to act all offended that swalker made such a broad sweeping statement about the quality of Aussie music, but then I figured that if Keith Urban is your thing then well, I could hardly take such criticism seriously;) HA!

• avishai
    avishai
    Sadly our muso’s don’t always get the recognition they deserve o/s

Definitely. Half the folks I mentioned, I only knew of from a friend who spent a year or so in Oz.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

All the Australian Idol singers and Kylie Minogue of course. LOL

Jeff Buckley was great, he has a haunting song called Hallelujah that always made me feel sort of connected to him as a JW. I used to like the Models in the 80's. Saw the Cruel Sea, they are great live and SilverChair.
    I am not sure what it is about Aussie music, but it is kind of raw sounding. We have a few Rap singers now, which is strange with the Australian accent. The Cat Empire is probably one of the best at the moment.

• Frog
    Frog

whata bout 'Powerderfinger' Avashai? You must've heard of them? They're absolutel rock gods. They tour pretty often through the UK, Europe and of course oz...it disturbs me that there's a chance that you haven't even hear of them!

• Frog
    Frog

oh YES jwc! The Cat Empire are briliant fun. I saw them a few months back in Hobart, definitely no let down:)

• skinnyboy
    skinnyboy

I love aussie music. I love a lot of the old stuff, The 'oils are great, I love James Reyne too hes a great writer. The new bands like Thirsty Merc rock too. Triple J play the best aussie music, you can listen online to Triple J i think.

http://www.abc.net.au/streaming/triplej.asx

Bernard Fanning from Powderfinger has a new album out and its pretty cool! Tea and Sympathy, check it out!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Funny Avi, I've wondered the same about what makes Aussie music so cool. From what little I know about Aussie culture (and probably a lot of it is media stereotypes) there seems to be a certain free-spiritedness about it, there isn't that element of puritanism like what we have here, or at least not in the same degree. When I listen to Bon Scott era AC/DC, (and the first couple of records with Brian Johnson) I marvel at the uninhibited energy and sheer ballsiness of it. I love it. I only know the one song by Jet (are you gonna be my girl) but that song has that same unencumbered feel to it.

One current American band that seems to have a very uninhibited vibe is Kings of Leon, I love those guys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit