All Ex-JW's...what made you get out?

by noelle2375 20 Replies latest jw friends

• noelle2375
    noelle2375

Just curious about what made you leave the religion? Was it hard? Is it possible to get someone that has JW beliefs to see the other side?

• JH
    JH

Lies got me out !

Lack of love got me out !

Boards like these keeps me out !

People I met here and I love will keep me out forever !

• hubert
    hubert

Noelle, Minimus has a post about this recently. Check it out.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/101329/1.ashx

Hubert

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

first of all, EVERYTHING about this religion is hard: being in it, leaving it, and everything in between. as long as you've had extended contact with JW's, you will find something about it difficult.

the first thing that made me look into it was when someone told me that the JW's joined the UN. of course i didn't believe it so i looked it up and, sure enough it was true. that made me look into every other thing that i could read about the watchtower. that started a whirlwind of research and information finding...

i started to fade and i kept my association with JW's to a minimum, based on how much i could trust them. now 90% of my JW association is with family

bethel

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

the BS got me out.. the fact that they didnt want me to think for myself made me leave... their inability to accept that i am a free thinker is what makes me hate their guts..

the infamous one

• ocsrf
    ocsrf

I am still in and when you have family it is very hard to leave. If your bf has family still in, he will be torn between being in and out. If you can get him to read this web site and some others that tell another side of the organization then perhaps in can happen but be wary.

Some JWs leave because of marital problems find a woman like yourself and than want to return and think it will become OK. They think they are doing you a favor becasue now you will have a chance for ever lasting life in a paradise.

This will put you under the gun to accept these teachings or live a lonely life while your husband is out dealing with all the Society non-sense. And believe me they have more duties than you can shake a stick at. And if you try to do anything you enjoy that has to do with the holidays you will meet a lot of resistance from your husband.

If this last paragraph sounds like hell, believe me it will be. You both need to agree that you are both in or both out.

OC

• Kaput
    Kaput

Ditto to Bethel's post except I DA'd. "The truth shall set you free."

• Purza
    Purza
    Was it hard?

Extremely. I was raised as a JW from birth and told I was never going to die. It took me a long time to come to terms with the fact that I will eventually die. You are required to go to meetings three times a week to receive and maintain the brainwashing. And it works. Walking away from the JWs and a good percentage of my family was the hardest thing I have ever done.

Purza

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy
    the BS got me out..

Exactly! I recently 'ran into' a guy I went to HS with. He asked me if I was still a JW. When I told him no, he wanted to know why.

I told him, "You can only put up with BS for so long."

CountryGuy

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

It's a mind controlling cult. Last meeting I went to an elder was giving a service meeting talked and said from the platform "Isn't it wonderful the faithful slave has given us the Require brochure, because people these days don't like to think, and in 32 pages this brochure can do all their thinking for them."

I also researched their claims on early church father, the cross, the Gentile Times, the last days, blood, what other religions really teach and believe, and then christianity as a belief system, and it was easy to throw it all out. I lost some JW friends, sure, but my JW family supported me and loves me to this day. My dad eventually quit going to the kingdom hall because he couldn't buy into a lot of JW and Bible stuff and he and I talk frequently. He also lurks on this board (hi dad!). I've been "out" for 8 1/2 years now. You won't find better friends than exJW ones and worldly ones who listen to your story (usually with a lot of "holy shit"s and "what the fuck"s... based on JW crap). I got DF'd 5 1/2 years ago when the elders hunted me down (hadn't been to any JW function but they still considered me a JW) and the charge was associating with a DF'd person. Absolutely retarded.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit