JWs show up at my dad's surgery.

by Darth Yhwh 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Here’s a little background: My mother is a JW, my father is not, my sister is disfellowshipped and I have faded away.

My father has an abdominal aortic aneurism. This is a weak spot on the wall of the major artery leading to the lower extremities. It will balloon out and burst eventually killing him without assistance. My dad was considered high risk because he also has heart disease and the doctors felt that surgery is risky. My blood phobic JW mother successfully persuaded my dad to have a less invasive intravascular surgery done where they put a stint into the artery to help brace it and thus effectively buy a few years on my old mans life.

Yesterday was the day of the surgery. My mom and dad left home at 4:00 am to be at the hospital at 5:30 am. I took the day off work and went to the hospital to be with my parents for the day. My sister, her husband and I left my house at 4:40 and arrived at the hospital about an hour and one half later.

The day started off on a bad note and went down hill from there. When we got to the waiting room counter the receptionist told us that my father had not checked in yet. This was a surprise for us because he should have arrived before us. After a few telephone calls and sitting around in the waiting room for about thirty minutes my mom comes in and informs us that they just wheeled him into surgery. Apparently they had been there for some time and the receptionist wasn’t very capable of performing her duties worth a shit. So, as a result we didn’t get to say hello, goodbye, or I love you to our father before they put him out.

About ten minutes later the information desk announces that my mother has a visitor. My mom goes over to the desk and I see a gentleman in a suit with a briefcase and some kind of ID badge. She brings him over to us and he introduces himself to us. I can’t remember his name so I’ll call him Cody. Well Cody sits down next to my mother and it takes me about three minutes to figure out that this guy is a JW.

We got the page that my father’s surgery began around 7:00 am. It was scheduled to be a three hour operation but they had some complications and had to do some additional work. As a result he didn’t get out of surgery until 1:00 pm, six hours later. The entire time he was in surgery my sister, her husband, and myself were, for the most part, completely and utterly ignored by my mother.

Cody was a nice guy. He was there to support my mother and that he did. He hung on her every word and she lapped it up. For over six hours their conversation consisted of sign language (my mother is an interpreter), the new system, Kingdom Halls, or the Watchtower. I was at my wits end and there were two or three moments where I was on the verge putting my bearded face within an inch or two of this guy’s nose and telling him to get lost.

To make matters worse, while Cody was sitting there reading his WT another “brother” who was there for his own family, decides to come over and introduce himself. He said “I saw you reading your WT and wanted to say hi.” I told my sister “they’re coming out of the woodwork today, aren’t they?”

Cody was bad enough but when this other guy came around it was just disgusting. I overheard them talking amongst themselves about some “brother” who was in the military before he joined the “truth” and how people with military backgrounds make great brothers and sisters because of all those years of training to take orders to obey. “That ability to take orders carries over well into the truth”, the stranger said. Yes, these are their words not mine. I was sitting there listening to them say these things and asking myself, do they hear what they’re saying?

At one point when Cody and my mother were talking about blood alternatives and blood derivatives, Cody was explaining to my mother that a tetanus shot had blood derivatives. He was saying that some of the medical options were a “matter of conscience”. My mother then proceed to say “why don’t we have a special meeting or they teach us about these things?” At that moment I became infuriated. I couldn’t listen to my mother ask for someone else to take control of her life like that so I just blurted out “Why don’t you just read your bible?” To which my mother replied “The bible doesn’t say anything about blood derivatives.” “Exactly!” I responded.

Bottom line is that my mother had plenty of support there for her. She didn’t need Cody hanging around all day. My sister and I were also there for our father. We would have gone regardless, but when my mother totally blew us off for this stranger we both felt totally unappreciated and unloved.

I didn’t get home until 8:00 pm. I began telling my wife the whole story. I didn’t think about this until she mentioned it but Cody was there to intervene with the blood issue if necessary. If I had realized this while I was there that perhaps I would indeed have told him to leave.

I guess the positive news is that my dad's surger went well. He spent the night in an ICU but has now been moved to his own room. I spoke to him today and he seems to be feeling well. So I guess in the grand scheme of things that it was indeed a good day.

• Soledad
    Soledad

Wow. I do hope that your dad fully recovers. My dad had surgery for an anuersm in his aorta in 1997. 22 days in the hospital.

“The bible doesn’t say anything about blood derivatives

Amazing isn't it? JWs are such robots. The bible doesn't say anything on a lot of things but they just need to rely on other humans just like them to know what to do, how to act.

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

Darth Yhwh-I'm so glad that your father's surgery went well! I hope he has a good recovery.

What a perfectly horrid day you have had. I give you alot of credit for your self control, as that was a very long time to sit and listen to all that garbage. I know I couldn't have done half as well.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I'm glad your dad's surgery went okay. If my dad ever needs surgery (which would have to be a major deal because his health is so bad), the blood issue will definitely be a problem. My mom is a JW but pretty liberal. My brother is an ex, though not DF'd, and he and I would make sure the doctors have every option available, according to my dad's wishes. At this point he has no problem saving his own blood for later transfusion. No JW better get in the way; my brother and I would be all over them and not nicely.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Thanks Soledad, TooOpinionated, and Cygnus for your thoughts. I didn't handle my self control completely though. After Cody left I had it out with my mom there in the waiting room and the $hit really hit the fan.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hope your dad continues to do well.

And yea I bet Cody was there to "support" your mother in case blood became an issue to your non-JW father.

• blondie
    blondie

Darth, it is hard when non-JWs are married to JWs. If the non-JW wants a blood transfusion and their immediate relative is a JW, they can select a non-JW to act for them if they are unconscious. Of course, this will make life/marriage difficult when they get home.

Imagine, choosing possible death to keep your marriage mate happy. Maybe they think a possible death is better than the real death/hell they will face at home.

I'm always surprised when a non-JW chooses to reject the possibility of a blood transfusion. It is usually because of the fear of AIDS or hepatitis C nothing scriptural. (Of course, that could be the reason for many a JW.)

I cringe when I remember some of the stupid things I said around my non-JW relatives. Fortunately, they are the forgiving kind.

Love, Blondie

• Purza
    Purza

I am glad your dad's surgery went well. As if the day wasn't stressful enough, the JWs had to add to it. I am sorry for the way you were treated. Nobody should have to deal with added stress when a loved one is in surgery.

Purza

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Geez, sorry you had to go through that man. Painful.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    I didn’t think about this until she mentioned it but Cody was there to intervene with the blood issue if necessary

Yup. Same thing as when my JW-mother had her cancer-surgery. She hadn`t been to the meetings for years, because of...well, many things, really, but her arthritis-problem, which made it hard for her to walk, was an important factor. She still believed every JW-doctrine, like she always had, though. But noone ever came to visit her, she was "bad company" for not going to the meetings anymore. But when she had surgery, those "sisters" showed up to intervene in case of the blood becoming an issue. Well, me and my sister threw out those old hags right there on the spot.

I almost couldn`t believe your post. They actually showed up, in case they had to intervene, even though your father is not a JW. That`s just sick. They should be taken out in the parking lot and beaten up severely. Damn bastards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit