Were the people I studied with just crack pots?

by caz 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• caz
    caz

I have been thinking about my late Mother today, ( it would have been her b'day) and I am feeling a bit upset over the fact that I no longer have a beautiful old wooden table that she gave me before she passed away.

This piece of furniture was one of the first items that she bought when we emmigrated from the UK to Aus' and she had bought it 2nd hand.

I loved that table but I got rid of it on the insistance of the 2 women I was studying with as they told me it had demons in it!!

They also had me get rid of a big teddy bear given to my son as it had been given to me by a friend who was into spiritualism and such, for pretty much the same reason.

I feel like a fool for believing them but mostly because they were able to cajole me into giving away items in my home that I really did love and had wanted so much!

Is this a usual jw belief or were my 'teachers' a lil bit crazy?

CaZ

• skinnyboy
    skinnyboy

totally normal my friend!

i had to endure years of crackpot sisters filling my mothers head with crap! My mum, being the sheep she was, beleived it all! Regardless of how it affected us as children.

Just goes to prove what a bunch of nutters they all are eh!

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

This demon possession thing is pretty common throughout the world from what I can see. We've had threads on this before and a lot of people told stories. I have personal knowledge of it from the congregations I have been to in my lifetime. We were cautioned against buying things at yard sales, etc. Pretty screwy.

Sherry

• fairchild
    fairchild

I bought a globe at a yard sale once. An elder and his wife came to visit and admired it, saying it was such a wonderful thing. Once they heard I bought it at a yard sale, the wife freaked out and gave me a lecture on why I should not buy second hand things. The 8 year old son who was with them loved that globe. I told him he could have it as long as it was okay with his parents. All of a sudden it was no problem that the globe came from a yard sale, they walked home with it.

At the hall where I went, there were people who bought just about everything second hand, and others who refused to do so because the items might be possessed. Strange though, the ones who were well-to-do were the ones who didn't buy anything second hand, but it seemed it was okay for the poor ones to do so.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Caz,

I, too, parted with items I was told were Satanic. I've since managed to purchase similar items again but some were irreplaceable, so I know how difficult it must be for you regarding the table.

The truth is, everyone in the cult is controlled by the mad powerhouse at Crooklyn, so the behaviour of those you studied with is not unusual. While you may never see your table again at least you have your life back and are completely free to do what you choose now. THAT is worth more than anything!

Welcome to the board, by the way!

Ian

• garybuss
    garybuss

Witnesses I know are extremely superstitious. My mother shopped yard and garage sales every week but she refused to even go in Goodwill stores because she feared getting a demon at Goodwill by way of the demon residing in some of their merchandise. Of course lots of people here donate the items they can't sell at their yard sales to Goodwill.
    I know other Witnesses who only shopped at Goodwill and refused to shop at a yard sale because it was too dangerous. Many Witnesses are like children and they really are afraid of the dark.
    There was a routine of phobia indoctrination at the Kingdom Hall building. Lectures were planned around the subject of ghosts (called demons by the Witnesses) and missing group meetings was to invite a demon attack. They knew how to access the Bogey Man corner of an adult's brain and they know how to tell the adult that the Bogey Man is real. The poor children who listened to that spook stuff every week. It was terrible.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Some in my old hall were worse than others when it came to second hand things!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I know that the person I studied with when I was 18-19 was/is a crackpot. Sister Hubbard...wonder what ever happened to the woman?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Once my family gave some clothes to my mother's cousins (yep theyre jws) and we were told later that they threw them out beacuse the clothes were making noises or talking ~ yeah yeah the clothes were demonized, so they said. I have yet to hear my clothes talk to me.

• forsharry
    forsharry

I remember my mother going through all of my belongings and throwing things out at will because she thought they were demonized. I lost the entire set of Narnia books that were given to me as a gift from my grandparents, the grim's fairy tale book that was leather bound, again, gift from my grandparents...she would go through my bookbag to make sure that I wasn't being home any satanic things, which meant I left all the books I borrowed from friends in my locker at school. She threw out comic books I borrowed from people at school for an art project. Let me tell you how much fun that was trying to steal the money from my parents to pay the kid back.

And let me tell you about the time she found my "Interview With the Vampire" book. She drug me out back and made me burn it and then lectured me for over an hour about my irresponsibility of bringing such satanized books into the house. How whack is that? :)

So in essence, if it turns rather normal people into paranoid psychotics that believe demons are in everything and clothing talks...well can you really say that this is a normal behavior set to follow?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit