Can the Jehovah's Witnesses society be sued

by caz 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• caz
    caz

My sister who is the Ex wife of the fellow I posted about,( re: commiting suicide) was a JW for 17 years being df'd 4 years ago.

I have told her about this site and read to her the replies to the posts I have made and she has had a browse around but will not join yet as she does not have access to the internet, although she really loves the site.

She and I were talking this morning and thru me she would like to ask; Does anyone here think it would get her anywhere if she were to sue the Watchtower society for years of guilt and mental stress she and her late ex husband have suffered?

Now that she has been df'd she has been in contact with other ex jw's that she once knew as a part of the society and she is amazed at how many of them ( nearly all 18 of them) are on anti depressant medication and have required councelling after their time with the org'.

It would appear that they have all been affected in some way and can definately put it down to the doctrine, expected lifestyle and brainwashing during that time of their lives.

Many of them have lost contact with close family and friends and their lives are in ruins now.

Is this a good arguement for which she could sue, maybe organise a class act?

Has anyone ever tried before?

( I must tell you we were discussing this somewhat tongue in cheek but it did get us to thinking about it so we thought we would put the question to you guys.)

CaZ

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

The problem is the society has many lawyers at their disposal, who all work for free. It also has the backing of all those "voluntary" contributions and considerable clout with many businesses through its investments. It's not a matter of having a case, so much as a matter of having the resources to fight it.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS puts a layer of responsible people between them and the rank and file, the elders. Thus will this person be suing an individual elder or body of elders? Also, what proof do they have that will stand up in court? A lot of what the elders do and say is behind closed doors or with only the individual JW present with 2 or more elders. Also the WTS says it is the individual's personal choice and has that in black and white. Of course, we know that is not true behind the scenes.

If serious about this, they should check with a lawyer experienced in this type of lawsuit. They should also see if individuals have been successful suing other religoius groups for similar treatment. It is not easy and as mys pointed out, the WTS has bottomless pockets and can outlast the average individual financially.

Love, Blondie

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

It seems similar to me, to the employment law scenario. An employee can file an EEO for unlawful treatment on the job and have good documentation, but the burden of proof is on him or her. The individual seldom has the money to see it thru to court, while the big corporation has millions to fight the charges with. So, the little person can be right, but still lose or wind up giving up because they run out of money.

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

NO CHAnCE OF WINNING... like the rest of religious organisations, they have millions behind them, and some kind of pull in court... bah, it just isnt fair!

the infamous one

• Jobees
    Jobees

What about a class action suit? If the WBTS lost they would be bankrupt with all the people over the years they have helped go a little crazy. Myself included, of course.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    It would appear that they have all been affected in some way and can definately put it down to the doctrine, expected lifestyle and brainwashing during that time of their lives.

If a suit like this ever takes place, count me in (if it`s possible, taking into consideration that I never got baptised, I left at around 17). I have been on anti-depressives most of my adult life, after growing up in this crap, being scared with demons and Armageddon every fu##ing day my entire childhood. The JW-religion is organised madness, imposed on the children, imposed on the innocent. Someone should pay for my medication and the money I spent on psychiatrists and psychologists.

• clear2c
    clear2c

sue for what? family and friends are priceless.

• Navigator
    Navigator

An old lawyer friend of mine once put it this way:

"Sue? Anyone can sue! Collecting, that is the trick"

As has been pointed out, a large organization can run up the cost with time and depositions so that the individual can't keep up with the costs involved.

• exjdub
    exjdub

The other issue is that in many states (Massachusetts being one) there is a statute that applies to all non-profit organizations that limits their liability to 20K. This is true whether they have been found to be grossly negligent or not. This applies to injuries incurred while at Kingdom Halls, Assembly Halls, etc., or to tragedies such as rapes that occur at college campuses and other non-profit organizations. There is not an attorney alive that will take the case on a contingency basis, and the cost to pay the hourly fee to fight the case would far outweigh the return.

exjdub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit