Street work

by pratt1 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I was in town for the last convention and a few days before it started an old lady with no English spotted my unfortunate 'soft touch' facial expression and waved some magazines at me. I said 'no thanks' and moved on. On the Friday afternoon of the convention she was up on stage with somebody translating the experiences she's had while out on the street work. "At times it can be discouraging but some people surprise me with their interest...."

• riko
    riko

I must've blended quite nicely into the background of the Kingdom Hall as I couldn't walk the road between my college and the bus-stop without being stopped by a brother in the cong...no matter how many times I told him I was a JW, he'd stop me again a few weeks later...talk about feeling like part of the furniture

I only went on street work once, I don't remember talking to anyone but I DO remember buying a rather fetching bit of nightwear from the local department store...

lola, you do not need to explain the reasons for your actions to anyone, we all have our own lives, opinions and ways of doing things, you're entitled to your own

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Did you or people in your congo engage in this and were there any funny stories relating to this practice?

Yes very popular in our congregation - especially when auxilliary pioneering

• kid-A
    kid-A

Jesus can do what he wants to and I will do what I need to do.

{{{{{ Lola }}}}}, those are words of wisdom. Dont let anybody tell you what to do or lay some obnoxious guilt trip on you....this is how JWs like to control....guilt, guilt, guilt and fear. You are better than them!!!

I admire you!!!

• tfsm
    tfsm

Drive-by witnessing... funny stuff. This reminds me of this crazy guy that used to preach on a corner in the little town I used to live in. He would stand there all day long trying to save everyone's soul by yelling at the top of his lungs at them. I couldn't wait for a trip into town because I would get to set in the car and watch this idiot scream at the people walking by on the street.

Flash forward a few years (when I was in my early teens) our congregation went through a faze where going out in service meant going into a few businesses before we went out into the field. So, just a few years after I got to watch the street corner screamer, I was on the same street going into the shops and pestering the people inside. This didn't go on too long because, needless to say, this really pissed off the shopkeepers. Looking back on it, I am sure the screamer was thought of more fondly than we were.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit