Is Jehovah really gods name?

by dezpbem 37 Replies latest jw friends

• dezpbem
    dezpbem

In another thread I started someone asked

I still believe in Jehovah, but now, I'm having doubts about his name??? Is Jehovah really God's name? If he wanted his name to be known, he's all-powerful, omnipotent... I know that he has the power to make sure that his name is used correctly. So, did he want his name known? We, definitely, know that his son was Jesus. Right???

Since it's a different topic I though i'd start a different thread on their question. Any answers?

To me I can't see a supposedly omnipotent all powerful being caring about something as trivial as what particular name you call it, if you use an object to represent it, or anything of the sort. After being away from the jw for some time the obsession with name and form seemed dumb.

Any other comments or ideas? Bring em' on!

• garybuss
    garybuss

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/34764/1. ashx"As to the Old Testament name of God, certainly the spelling and pronunciation "Jehovah" were originally a blunder."
    (The Bible in Living English, 1972, p.7, Watch Tower Bible And Tract Society Of Pennsylvania)

• shoulders
    shoulders

Hi my name is steven i am a jehovah witness and you want to know is Jehovah is really gods name the answer to that question is to look into the bible and turn to paslm 14 verse 13 and it will show you gods name i hope this has help you

• Riverview
    Riverview
    turn to paslm 14 verse 13 and it will show you gods name i hope this has help you

Hee!! Hee!! Hee!!

Thats a good one...

chris

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Go away. Let us big boys talk.

• Gill
    Gill

Welcome, Shoulders!

I hope you stay and that you learn a lot from your discussions with us here on the board.

One of the first things we all learn is 'that everything is not as it seems in Watchtower land!'

Infact, if you stay, you're in for the same surprise as a lot of us had when found out the truth about 'da troof!'

Good Luck!

Gill

As for is Jehovah really god's name? It appears not!

• defd
    defd

YES!

D.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Her name is NOT Jehovah.

Sherry

• banished1
    banished1

sorry, I'm kind of hooked on the name. Since my dfing I have needed to pray twice. Both times I used Jehovah's name. I would have felt odd praying to anyone else.

• City Fan
    City Fan

From what I've read (Mark Smith, Friedman etc) it seems El was the original god of the patriarchs and was a personal name.

Exodus 6:3 shows that the name Yahweh began to be associated with the older names of 'El Shaddai' and El Elyon'. And the Septuaguint and 4QDeut Dead Sea Scroll reading of Deutoronomy 32 shows that Yahweh was a son of the god El who received Israel as his inheritance.

I think I prefer this though:

The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao.
    The name that can be named is not the eternal name.
    The nameless is the beginning of heaven and earth.

CF.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit