Mormons and JW: same horror story, different halloween costume!

by dezpbem 28 Replies latest jw friends

• dezpbem
    dezpbem

A while back I did some online research on the mormons. I came across some ex-mormons sites. I was shocked to see that their exit stories and problems were almost the same! If you were just listening to the problems they have you'd think both were the same religion. Does anyone else here know about this at all?

• Sam the Man
    Sam the Man

I don't, but Randy Watters has some info at freeminds. Nice thread title.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

dezpbem, I didn't realize they had rules on shunning, just excommunication. As far as I knew, it is fine for them to continue associating with those put out of the church.

AuldSoul

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

naw - we are so much more fun. We're allowed to put our babies in boxes.

• blondie
    blondie

AuldSoul,

As to LDS shunning ex-members, it depends on where you go for the information. It may not be "official" but from these sources, tends to be the practice of the rank and file Mormon/LDS.

http://www.truthinlovetomormons.com/the_truth_in_love/summary/transition.htm

Other members of the LDS ward shun the member who leaves. It is often as if the person died or never existed.

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon303.htm

Recently we've been the target of shunning from those faithful members of the church.
    Just recently we were at the grocery store and guess who was there, this Mormon family. Not only did they completely ignore us walking by, but before they got to us, I saw the wife whispering to her sister. The wife walked by, and the sister looked at me quite funny. I have never seen such rude behavior.

http://www.helpingmormons.org/investigate.htm

If you should ever decide that you made a mistake in joining the church and then leave it, you will probably find (judging from the experiences of others who have done so) that many of your Mormon friends will abandon and shun you. If you are unable to convince your family members to leave the church with you, you will find that the church has broken up your family and your relationship with them may never recover. *

http://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Magazines/Ensign/1990.htm/ensign%20september%201990.htm/a%20chance%20to%20start%20over%20church%20disciplinary%20councils%20and%20the%20restoration%20of%20blessings.htm

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Whoooo Blondie - be ever so careful about maligning a faith that actively teaches you to keep your family together and that shunning is not appropriate with the JW active teaching of shunning. Don't tar the LDS with the JW error. I have publically mentioned my 'shunning' of a friend who left the faith but it was based upon an inability to cope with his rejection of the faith we had supported each other through - not upon any teaching or doctrine.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Just another sad group of pathetic morons, no better than the greasy JW's.

GBL

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Stares at GBL with a look of surprise because he sometimes says cool stuff but just made a stupid statement imo.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I personally have no qualms with a doctrine that does not impose shunning but leaves such a decision to the individual. I have stomach enough for all sorts of people, but I recognize that even I would shun certain people and do so of my own free will.

I have no desire to become a friend to pedophiles, and if I found one starving who had a crust of bread in his hand I might just kick the bread away. My point is, I know people I would choose to have no dealings with. I would shun them, actively. But I will never let someone else decide who I must shun.

Not speaking in favor of LDS because I believe many of their bases for belief evidence too much trust in the sons of earthling men, but if there is no active doctrine of shunning that is enforced by threat of expulsion and shunning it isn't really the same. In the interests of fair-mindedness.

AuldSoul

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:but just made a stupid statement imo.

No shit its a stupid statement in your opinion - your a mormon! Thanks for pointing out the obvious. And yeah Qcmbr, I do tend to get a little hot under the collar when it come to groups who shun former members over magical belief systems. It pisses me off to no end to hear people actually defending that garbage and implying that its subjective. But that's just my opinion.

GBL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit