The most EERIE passage in a Watchtower Publication leads to atheisim

by Terry 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

The most eerie and fascinating passage I ever read in any of the JW literature (literature??) was in the red book, LIFE EVERLASTING IN FREEDOM OF THE SONS OF GOD.

I wish I had written the quote down. I recall being struck by the sheer thunder of it. It was written in terms of the kind of absolute knowledge it is impossible for men to have; yet, the Society was writing it and I was reading it.

In effect, it said this: (I'm paraphrasing)

"There was a time before He began creating that Jehovah was alone and, much as any adolescent about to embark upon what life will ultimately be, He had to choose what He would become."

The above is quite staggering for me to contemplate. Why? Because it stamps out the notion of eternity from connectedness to God in one paragraph!

For God to be ETERNAL there can NEVER have been a time BEFORE he was God; and yet---logically---unless God __assumed__the attributes of "god-ness" he would merely be an alive "something" or other and not God.

To be God you cannot be alone because all the attributes which constitute God-ness are IN RELATION to other living things.

1.If you have never created anything or anyone you cannot be a CREATOR.

2.If you have not yet ALWAYS existed you cannot be ETERNAL.

3.If you are not superior to others you cannot be:

A. All powerful

B. Worthy of worship

C. The source of all knowledge

etc etc.

4.If you are unopposed in any way there can be no Good in you because no Evil is possible.

5.To be All-Knowing there has to be ___something___to know; and with nothing existing---there is NOTHING to know (literally!).

In view of the above, without OTHERS---God is impossible!

This is the most logical refutation I've ever considered and it came from reading that one passage in LIFE EVERLASTING IN FREEDOM OF THE SONS OF GOD.

Thanks, Watchtower Society!

Terry

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

Terry --- Wow, now my brain hurts!! But that really makes one think. I personally believe there is a God-Creator, or Gods-Creators, but something had to have designed all of this, I don't know for what purpose, or why he or they do not interact with us in any way that modern man knows of, and I don't buy the Virgin appearing on water marks nonsense. But really, why do we see in color, why do we smell pleasant smells, why do we feel wonderful sensations, these were not necessary for survival yet without them our life would be very bland, and unexciting. The different trees, the flowers, the animals the medicinal plants to keep us healthy, I cannot believe it all happened by accident, don't get me wrong, I also wonder why he or they do not intervene when horrific tragedy happens, but I won't let this make me bitter, life is too wonderful!

IC

• cab1000
    cab1000

I like it. Very good.

I like thinking that way too. I have always wondered how God is believed to be always there, no beginning no end..."us humans cannot understand", maybe because its not true???

~cab

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

As long as the WTS is right, your conclusions make sense .

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    "There was a time before He began creating that Jehovah was alone and, much as any adolescent about to embark upon what life will ultimately be, He had to choose what He would become."

For all the biblical 'correctness' the WTS claims, one has to ask "how in the H*ll did they come up with that"? Sounds like they should be writing for the Scientoligists.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

If humans were made in God's image, and humans can develop multiple personality disorder, the God Must have had multiple personality disorder .

Makes about as much sense as what they said .

• Legolas
    Legolas

I just looked for that book on the CD and damit it's yet another book that they left out!

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

a very similar thought occurred to me on my exodus from the BORG.... what could have lead God to be anything at all if there was nothing to learn from, nothing to know and no one to talk with.... even if there were three minds in that one ultimate body as trinity believers think.

the idea of an all knowing god when there is nothing to know is pretty bizzarre as it suggests that the whole of reality was not god's choice but something he just knew eternally and had no choice but to play a part in....no freewill there and no possibility of giving it to anyone else.

I find it even sillier to contemplate that god did magic and made something from nothing without dividing nor losing anything god already was... that may make sense for the hindu god who dreams the universe into existance but not for any other.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    In view of the above, without OTHERS---God is impossible!

Interesting. This reminds me of one of the most fundamental facts in quantum physics. Simply put, it would be impossible for only a single particle to exist in the universe. The reason for this is because all motion, mass, charge, momentum and angular momentum (spin) are dependant on being measured relative to another object. Without at least one other particle to serve as a reference, all of these things become meaningless and the laws of physics break down.

I think that article actually does present a very interesting thought... only I interpret it as yet one more reason why it is impossible for an all-powerful deity to exist.

• daystar
    daystar

Right, the observer and the observed, the seen and the seer.

I suspect that any honest, critial, broad study of religion, spirituality, etc leads to some form of atheistic thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit