"Jehovahs Witnesses" on Wikipedia the online encyclopedia

by JustTickledPink 13 Replies latest jw friends

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

For those of you familiar with Wikipedia, you can get the answer to almost any question. It's the greatest online encyclopedia and reference.

For curiosity sake, I looked up "Jehovah's Witnesses" and came up with this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovas_Witnesses

Not only does it do a pretty good job of outlining what JWs are about, it also mentions they are suffering from a decline in numbers in developed lands. The BEST part is at the end they have references catagorized between positive, neutral, and critical and it lists Quotes website as the FIRST ONE! I loved it.... along with several other websites, silent lambs, the blood issue one, etc.

It was really great. Makes me happy that if a JW kid decides to get on an encyclopedia he/she can read a pretty good overview without all the rubbish and then see that there are critics, there are alternatives, and the websites as reference are listed..... the internet is opening all sorts of doors!

• jstalin
    jstalin

That's the great part about Wikipedia. Article writers must take a neutral point of view, but links to opposing points of view are acceptable and encouraged.

• ackack
    ackack

Funny that you mention this... I've made a couple of contributions to the article.

There was one point in particular I was wondering about.

Are JWs specifically disallowed from celebrating Thanksgiving? I heard it was a conscience matter (at least in the states) Is that still true?

But back on the wikipedia article... EVERYONE go OVER there! contribute more to it. Make sure its complete and factual!

ackack

• mineralogist
    mineralogist
    Are JWs specifically disallowed from celebrating Thanksgiving?

Even in germany, where it is completly different.

But back on the wikipedia article... EVERYONE go OVER there! contribute more to it. Make sure its complete and factual!

Oh yes - don't let the JWs take over the article for PR. And don't forget: wikipedia is in lots of languages (i'm busy with the german)

• ackack
    ackack

There are editors to make sure the article isn't "taken over" by any special group. You can see in the history numerous defacement attempts. Wikipedia rocks. :)

ackack

ps. what about thanksgiving??

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I just added these to Wikipedia:

• Belief that Jesus is mediator for only the portion of the 144,000 still living (Revelation 7:4; 1 Timothy 2:5)
  • Belief that teaching authority is only possessed by the portion of the 144,000 still living (remnant), as a group.
  • Belief that the "remnant" is represented in teaching authority by a Governing Body of very few men who have the equivalent of magisterium regarding interpretation of Bible prophecies.
  • LOL, that should clue some folks in.

AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I added some more. I hope it goes through.

• mineralogist
    mineralogist

Just fight for your changes with reference material. If it gets deleted reinsert it and ask for reasons on the discussion page. It might take some effort but it is possible.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I just added these to Wikipedia:
  • Belief that Jesus is mediator for only the portion of the 144,000 still living (Revelation 7:4; 1 Timothy 2:5)
  • Belief that teaching authority is only possessed by the portion of the 144,000 still living (remnant), as a group.
  • Belief that the "remnant" is represented in teaching authority by a Governing Body of very few men who have the equivalent of magisterium regarding interpretation of Bible prophecies.
  • LOL, that should clue some folks in.

AuldSoul

Haha. I noticed that instead of slipping it in at the end, you blended them in with the rest somewhat near the top, but not too close to the top to raise any alarms. Was that on purpose?

Kwin

• ackack
    ackack

your changes seem to have taken. good for you!

ackack

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit