JW's are they really a cult?

by Evanescence 46 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

They certainly have the "identifying marks"....

SNG

• freedom96
    freedom96

No doubt whatsoever in my mind that the JW's are a dangerous cult.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I just found it amusing that in about 10 minutes I could find 7 or 8 quotes on my WT CD-ROM in my bound volumes that paralleled the almost exact descriptions of a cult according to a rather reasonable webpage I came across.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I came across this on a website the other day. The website was a satire regarding how, in the author’s opinion, political propaganda is cult mind control. It didn’t take long for me to realize how appropriate these conditions are for this forum or how they apply to JW’s.

The Six Conditions for Thought Reform are:

1) Keep the person unaware of what is going on and how she or he is being changed a step at a time.

2) Control the person’s social and/or physical environment; especially control the person’s time.

3) Systematically create a sense of powerlessness in the person.

4) Manipulate a system of rewards, punishments and experiences in such a way as to inhibit behavior that reflects the person’s former social identity.

5) Manipulate a system of rewards, punishments, and experiences in order to promote learning the group’s ideology or belief system and group-approved behaviors.

6) Put forth a closed system of logic and an authoritarian structure that permits no feedback and refuses to be modified except by leadership approval or executive order.

I was going to type a short synopsis at the end of each one of these six points. I decided against this because I feel, and I’m sure that most here can agree, that the way the WBTS uses these tactics is self evident.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    I was going to type a short synopsis at the end of each one of these six points.

Darth Yhwh, I am sure most regular posters here get the point. I would appreciate reading the synopses, though. I think it would also be of benefit to JW lurkers.

AuldSoul

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

The Six Conditions for Thought Reform are:

1) Keep the person unaware of what is going on and how she or he is being changed a step at a time.

The WBTS keeps the rank and file JW unaware of what is going on within the organization by bombarding them with information in the form of printed matter. Much of what these publications say is redundant. By constantly subjecting them to this information over and over again they are able to slip in minor changes in increments that are usually undetected by the JW’s.

2) Control the person’s social and/or physical environment; especially control the person’s time.

JW’s are forbidden to have social contact with non JWs, AKA “worldly” people. Their contact with non JWs is basically limited to employment or preaching. JWs that do have contact with non JWs at their place of employment are encouraged to keep this time brief or to use these opportunities to witness.

Their time is tightly controlled also. They are required to attend several religious functions a week including but not limited to: book study, theocratic ministry school, Sunday morning talk, and the infamous Watchtower study. This does not include all the time necessary to prepare for these “meetings” by studying the assigned literature, mandatory field service, or special Circuit / District assemblies. Remember also that JWs are required to keep track of the time that they spend in the mandatory preaching work and to turn it into their superior authorities.

3) Systematically create a sense of powerlessness in the person.

This is accomplished by constantly bombarding JWs with information regarding how close Armageddon is. The WBTS has, since its inception, proclaimed that God’s judgment day is close at hand. Contrary to biblical scripture they have even gone so far as to publish particular dates that it was expected to happen. Despite the failed prophetic dates they have done an excellent job of convincing JWs to be vigilant because the end of this system will arrive as a thief in the night

4) Manipulate a system of rewards, punishments and experiences in such a way as to inhibit behavior that reflects the person’s former social identity.

5) Manipulate a system of rewards, punishments, and experiences in order to promote learning the group’s ideology or belief system and group-approved behaviors.

Item number four and five go hand in hand with one another. One cannot advance in the KH hierarchy without abandon worldly friends and family. If one demonstrates model spirituality as measured the WBTS’s standards there are a number of rewards or privileges that they will bestow ranging from a microphone holder during the talks all the way up to Elder of a congregation or a Circuit Overseer. Each has a certain level of respect or power within the local KH. The sky is the limit to your potential if you play by the rules (unless of course you’re a woman, then opportunities are somewhat restricted). On the other hand if you display an attitude that would indicate to JWs that you haven’t abandoned “worldly” ways you will be reprimanded shunned or even disfellowshipped depending on circumstances.

6) Put forth a closed system of logic and an authoritarian structure that permits no feedback and refuses to be modified except by leadership approval or executive order.

If you do not accept WBTS doctrine at face value then you are labeled as an apostate, disfellowshiped, and shunned by friends and family. No one can question what is published as fact by the WBTS without being labeled as such. Independent and critical thinking are discouraged and publications have even been circulated that indicate the same. The WBTS also feels that one cannot have a relationship with God or understand the bible without the aid of the Watchtower.

I'm sure others here have their own experiences along these lines and can add comment to how the WBTS uses these tactics.

• heathen
    heathen

I don't think that political idealogy is the same . True today we have these people in office that believe that somehow God chose them to be there but there is nothing they can do to people that disagree with them. Most cults will have the punishment and reward system in place where as if you do as you are told you get a reward and punishment for those that show lack of obedience .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit