psychology does it work?

by cranwood 11 Replies latest watchtower medical

• cranwood
    cranwood

hi back again .has any body here been helped by shrinks? i have seen psycholgists and psychiatrists off and for over 20 years and it

hasnt helped me. it just gave them sone money. medication has not helped either.

• Joel Wideman
    Joel Wideman

To say it works, or doesn't work, would be misleading. The problems people have that lead them to seek help are not usually ones that can be cured, but rather they can be treated. If you don't feel you are making progress with your therapy, bring this up to your therapist.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Statistically

• 1/3 get better
    • 1/3 stay the same and
    • 1/3 get worse

The problem for some people is finding the "right" professional for them.

Sometimes meds are needed so the person can deal with real chemical problems that need to be dealt with. For others the meds allow them to function well enough to be able to deal with the emotional problems they have. And some have been misdiagnosed or the meds really do nothing or make things worse.

There is also the whole issue of whether the person you are seeing is actually trained to deal with the issues you are trying to cope with. If you are seeing a person who deals with anxiety he/she may suggest you see your doctor for anti-anxiety meds. But that can be just putting a bandaid on the problem. Getting to the root of the problem is far more important for there to be any lasting benefits.

And in spite of having the right professional there is a person't own willingness to do the nitty gritty task of working through the issue, regardless of how emotionally difficult it might be. There can be so much just rumbling around just below the surface that makes it really hard to identify the root of the problems.

A good well-trained professional with the right training and the client's desire to work it through can do wonders.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

My experience:

Didn't work while I continued to self-medicate with alcohol and other drugs.

Didn't work when I wasn't completely honest with or didn't trust the therapist.

Didn't work when I was unwilling to make the changes in behavior and attitude suggested by the therapist.

Didn't work when I wasn't clear about what I hoped to gain from therapy.

Worked really, really well when I was clean and sober, found a therapist I trusted and was willing to be honest with, made changes in my behavior and attitude, and set clear goals and attainable goals for myself.

I attempted/seriously contemplated (to the point of making a plan) suicide 18 times between my 16th and 28th birthdays. I've now been drug and alcohol free for 19 years, haven't been suicidal in 18 years, have been in a stable and happy relationship for 14 years, finished BA, MA and Ph.D. degrees, and am gainfully employed in my chosen field.

So, with the caveats listed above, I'd recommend therapy to anyone who's really sick and tired of being sick and tired. Sometimes I feel like I should go back and apologize to my old therapists for wasting their time--but I guess not, since they were paid for it.

Jankyn, just as happy as if she had good sense class

• cranwood
    cranwood

i am not an alcoholic and i dont take drugs **********. That was uncalled for. She was telling you what worked for her.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Back in March of 2003 I sought out counseling because I was really out-of-sorts and I felt like I just needed somebody that I could talk to about anything and everything. The first guy I went to was plain awful, he hardly listened to a word I said, and he would start pontificating on subjects that I hadn't even brought up. I couldn't believe it, the guy was a total F minus.

So I looked for somebody else, and the next guy I went to was great, I can't tell you how much I've benefited from the relationship. The most solid, mature, and insightful guy I think I've ever known.

Am I "happy" now? Am I "cured" from depression? Not at all. But I manage my life so gd much better than I used to, I almost can't believe it myself sometimes. I've come a long way baby, I don't know how much it is reflected in my comments on this board because I still have my bad days but really I can't emphasize enough how much I've matured and mellowed over the past couple of years, and I feel like I owe a huge chunk of that to my counselor.

• cranwood
    cranwood

sorry jankyn he is wright i wont bother you people any more.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

I feel that all therapy helps...IF the person getting it uses the tools they are taught. It's all about choice, just like everything else. The therapist helps you by teaching you how to deal with situations, etc. You can use those tools and work on yourself, or NOT use the tools. Therefore, just going to psych. doesn't always work.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

My brother-in-law is a psychiatrist. I've seen his house, cars and material possesitions. I'm here to tell you that it indeed works!

• blondie
    blondie

Mental illness or other psychological problems are not simple. The brain is a complex organ. Medications that work for some don't work for others. It can be a trial an error process. New medications are being discovered every year, or rather new uses for old medications are discovered every year.

Many medications merely control the symptoms and are in no way to be considered a cure. People usually have been coping in many ways before they even start seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist and have those issues to deal with, illegal drugs and alcohol to name two.

Finding a doctor you are compatible with is hard with any type of illness, including mental illness.

The important thing is to keep trying and not to give up. Change doctors if necessary; change meds (with doctor supervision) if necessary. Realize that this disease did not grab you overnight.

1) Find a good doctor; get a good diagnosis; work with your doctor.

2) Take your medications as prescribed; give them time to be therapeutic (usually minimum 2 weeks).

3) Realize that you will have baggage to deal with; be courageous; realize that if may be painful and take effort.

4) Don't give up if you have a setback

Love, Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit