Does an "Eldership" depend on their family's sprituality?

by damselfly 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• damselfly
    damselfly

Do elders have to step down when their kids or wives leave the "truth" ? They always did in my area as it was said if they couldn't shepard their own families then how could they manage the "flock"?

Are men with unbeliving mates typically elected as elders? This always bothered me. There was an elder with an unbelieving wife in my old hall, but an elder in a neigbouring hall had to step down when his kid left. This was an emotional blackmail tool used on elders' kids in our area to not bring shame on the family. Is this policy? or were they just hard up and had to take what they could get?

Dams

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hey Dams!

I think they make the rules up according to the individual. I've seen cases where elders have had to step down because of their childrens actions and others who haven't.

In a congregation I attended there was an elder whose teenage boy got caught drink driving. Daddy had to step down from the elder position. In that same congregation an elder got caught drink driving. He did not have to step down. In fact, as I was friends with this family they told me first hand, he suggested to the BOE that he should be stood down from his position but they were adamant that was not necessary. And so he stayed....

• Soledad
    Soledad

Yes, definitely. In my area, elders who had family problems (children or spouse leaving the WT, rebellious kids, non-submissive wives) were expected to step down. If they didn't they were removed as elders after a facing a judicial meeting of some sort. MS's who had family issues were not removed but were never appointed as elders either.

• orbison11
    orbison11

we had an elder in our hall, our PO for quite a while,,,,,his daughter was good friends with mine...well she left with a bang, but was still living at home,,,she got involved with kids in a gang and her boyfriend was in jail for murder or something just as bad

he was not removed of any position, and he should have been just for his blatant homosexual ways.....

orbi(of the 'we had quite the hall' class)

• gumby
    gumby

If a man is an elder in the congregation and his kids become a bit spiritually wacky....yet the elder has done a good job in trying to stop the wackiness and he still has the respect of the congregation ( in general ) for doing so......he can remain in good standing in the eyes of the congregation to continue serving.

Gumby

• damselfly
    damselfly

Misspeaches, how ya doing babe?

So an elder could be appointed even though his wife wouldn't convert? How would he explain that to his studies.

Dams

• willyloman
    willyloman

This is another of those areas where the JW rules and actual practice were two different things. The "rule" (as spelled out in the "flock" book, the official elder handbook, is that when one of an elder's children misbehave badly, the rest of the body of elders is obligated to "review his qualifications."

That's the precise wording and as you can imagine it leaves lots of room for interpretation. The handbook suggests they look at the elder's other children and take their behavior into account; if there is a "pattern" emerging, he will be reviewed and found wanting. That means, goodbye eldership. On the other hand, if the elders determine the behavior of the minor child was not brought on by any theocratic shortcoming of the elder, he remains in his position.

In actual practice, this "review" of one's qualifications is fairly cursory... unless he has enemies on the body of elders, in which case he's done. Over the years I've seen many elders who clearly didn't qualify, according to both the handbook and the scriptures, but that didn't seem to make much difference. As in any organization, it always comes down to who you know and your current standing in the old boys' club. Don't let anyone tell you it's different among JWs, because it isn't. I speak as a member of long-standing in that club, who left of his own accord without any prompting from my "peers."

• JT
    JT

I think they make the rules up according to the individual

yep

it is up to the CO and the rest of the elders, if they are all friends they will cover for him, but if he has an enemy on the body , he is dead meat

case in point- elder job requires he works nights,

in one hall they are all buddies, in fact i know a congo where my inlaws used to attend, the PO got on nights and the body voted for him to remain and theywould cover any meeting parts neccessary

while in another hall, i have personally known were an elder will approach the CO and says

"you know i am very concerned about the congo impression of the body, since bro PO is missing alot of meeting, he is a good man, but i wonder is it in the bestinterest of the congo

co, well that is a good question, who do you recommend take his place,

well that up to the body, WINK WINK

and the next thing this bro knows is the co is pulling him aside due to him thinking this is a concern in the hall when it may not even be the case, but the other elder raised it in a manner so as to imply, folks are talking and he is "Concerned" yea right

so it all depends on the local body and co

• loveis
    loveis

*** w78 2/1 pp. 31-32 Questions from Readers ***

Questions

from Readers

If children in the household of elders or ministerial servants come under a "charge of debauchery," what determines whether the family head can continue to serve the congregation in an appointed capacity?

The Scriptures are very clear that married men serving in the congregation should be exemplary family heads. We read: "The overseer should therefore be . . . a man presiding over his own household in a fine manner, having children in subjection with all seriousness; (if indeed any man does not know how to preside over his own household, how will he take care of God’s congregation?)." (1 Tim. 3:2, 4, 5) "Let ministerial servants be husbands of one wife, presiding in a fine manner over children and their own households."—1 Tim. 3:12.

The congregation rightly expects elders, ministerial servants and their families to be fine examples in Christian living. (Compare 1 Timothy 4:12; 1 Peter 5:3.) If that should cease to be the case, this can have a damaging effect on the spiritual welfare of the congregation. For example, if the children of elders and ministerial servants are lax about applying Scriptural principles, this can embolden other children in the congregation to do likewise and to excuse their wrong conduct. (Compare 1 Corinthians 8:9-13; 10:31, 32.) The situation becomes even more serious when children of elders and ministerial servants engage in gross wrongdoing.

So, when such children bring disgrace upon the family and the congregation, the body of elders should determine whether the father qualifies to continue serving as an elder or as a ministerial servant. His feeling personally that he qualifies to serve despite developments in his household should not determine the decision reached by the body of elders.

For a man to continue serving, there should be clear evidence that he is capable of giving needed spiritual help to his household and that he has not been seriously negligent in this regard. An alert father usually can detect problems in his family before they get out of hand. As a man who knows how to preside over his household, he is able to take steps to control undesirable situations in his family. While his children may commit wrongs, he should be able to give them the needed guidance and discipline so that they do not become ‘debauched’ persons.—Titus 1:6.

Of course, there may be times when a child departs from the way of the truth or slips into wrongdoing despite a father’s commendable efforts to help the family spiritually. His other children may well be fine examples in Christian living, testifying to their having received good parental training. On the other hand, if one minor child after another when residing at home gets into deep spiritual difficulty upon reaching a certain age, and brings reproach on the family and the congregation, there is serious question as to whether the father is ‘presiding over his household in a fine way.’ Care must then be exercised not to excuse the situation simply by pointing to Scriptural examples of those who did not turn out well, including Esau, the sons of Samuel and the like. (Gen. 25:27-34; 26:34, 35; 1 Sam. 8:2, 3, 5) It should be kept in mind that most of those referred to in the Bible as going astray were adults, fully capable of making their own decisions. They were not subject to the same kind of authority and guidance as are minor children in a household, and it is such ones we are here considering.

In view of the spiritual danger that can result to the congregation when the children of elders or ministerial servants engage in wrongdoing that is truly gross, men whose children are involved should cooperate fully with the body of elders in ascertaining the facts. They should not minimize such gross wrongdoing of their children or try to conceal it so as to retain their position. Also, they should avoid undue harshness toward the children. (Eph. 6:4) These fathers should be sincerely interested in helping their wayward children spiritually to the extent circumstances allow. Of first concern should be the spiritual condition of their family and not whether they can continue serving in an appointed capacity.—Compare 1 Timothy 5:8.

Hence, if gross wrongdoing by children in the household does raise serious questions in the congregation about a man’s presiding in a fine way over his family, he should not continue serving as an elder or as a ministerial servant. When the man serves as an elder and his fellow elders allow their judgment and decision to be swayed by friendship or sentimentality to the point of sidestepping Scriptural principles, then especially can his continuing to serve as an elder, though unqualified, be spiritually hurtful to the congregation. This is because it can undermine respect for the entire body of elders. It can provide an excuse for other children in the congregation to engage in wrongdoing. So, it is good to keep in mind that the man’s abilities as a speaker or an organizer or his likable personality are really not the point at issue. The determining factor is whether he is fulfilling his role as a father in a fine way. Only if he is may he continue to serve. Of course, when that is so, the body of elders should avoid being unduly critical and faultfinding in reviewing his family situation.

Also:

w84 5/15 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers ***

Questions

From Readers

·

If the child of a congregation elder is guilty of serious wrongdoing, does that automatically disqualify the father from being an elder?

A brother is not ‘automatically disqualified’ from serving as an elder if his minor son or daughter has some serious difficulty. All the factors involved need to be considered in determining whether he qualifies.

Titus 1:6 says that an elder should be "free from accusation," "having believing children that were not under a charge of debauchery nor unruly." (Compare 1 Timothy 3:4.) Jehovah’s Witnesses hold to that standard.

Accordingly, The Watchtower of September 1, 1983, made the point that an elder needs to put forth balanced effort to provide for the emotional and spiritual needs of his family, his wife and any children that they have. A man’s being negligent in this regard would likely have a detrimental effect on them. When a child’s spiritual and disciplinary needs are not cared for, he or she may fail to progress spiritually and may get involved in serious wrongdoing. This would disqualify the negligent father from serving the congregation as an appointed elder, for, as 1 Timothy 3:5 says: "If indeed any man does not know how to preside over his own household, how will he take care of God’s congregation?"

A lengthier discussion of this is found on pages 31, 32 of The Watchtower of February 1, 1978. It showed why all the factors involved must be considered. For example, one elder regularly studied the Bible with his five children, shared in recreation, took them to Christian meetings and in other normal ways strove to fulfill his responsibilities as a Christian father. Four of the children did very well, but one son constantly was a problem, in time succumbing to sin. That would not necessarily disqualify the father from being an elder if he still had the congregation’s respect.

The congregation may know that a brother did all that reasonably might be expected of a Christian father in caring for his family, whether he had one child or many. So if a child went bad, they may not feel that this was the father’s fault. They may appreciate that the deflections of Judas Iscariot and the angel who became Satan are not to be blamed on Jesus or Jehovah. It is vital that a brother serving as an elder continue to have the high respect of the congregation so that all can accept his Bible-based counsel and, having observed how his general conduct turns out, can imitate his faith.—Hebrews 13:7.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I knew an MS that it was pretty much implied wasnt an elder since his son was 16 or 17 and not yet baptized. No charges of wrongdoing..just not enough..rightdoing?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit