Earthquakes in one place after another

by free2beme 14 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

We have little earthquakes here in the St Laurence valley once every 70 or 80 years. They come at regular intervals. If in other parts of the world they come at intervals of 40 years or 20 years. If we get earthquakes at cloer intervals, then I'll wonder whats happening, but I wont live long enough to see many 70 or 80 year interval earthquakes...

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

I'm you guys are talking about this, my mom who is a very zealous regular pioneer drives me and my sister crazy with this stuff, so does my aunt who is pentecostal, any disaster that is shown on the news and we get the phone calls with "you see? the bible is right, the end is almost here" . I don't believe any of it, the earth goes throught these cycles, it's just natural for these changes in weather to happen, now it's so much worse that in ancient times, because of some areas being overpopulated, and we hear about everything since we live in the information age. My brother was telling me that Greenland got that name because originally the climate was very different than now, it was much warmer. I've also read that some scientists believe there is evidence of a polar shift at some point in the past, imagine that scenario now! All I know, is that now that I no longer believe in all the end of the world, armaggedon is almost here CRAP, I am no longer deppressed or anxious, I live every day the best way I can, and feel very happy!

IC

• dmouse
    dmouse

New Light on earthquakes

Check out: Why are we having so many earthquakes? Has earthquake activity been increasing?

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/faq/myths.html#8

• dmouse
    dmouse

Awake! March 22nd 2002 Issue: Earthquakes, Bible Prophecy, And You BEFORE his death, Jesus foretold events and situations that would give evidence that this world had entered 'the conclusion of the System or things.' That period, he said, would be marked by such things as' pestilences, food shortages, and large-scale warfare. He also mentioned 'great earthquakes' that would occur 'in one place after another.' (Matthew 24:3,7; Luke 21:10, 11) Was Jesus referring to our day? Many say no. They assert that the number of earthquakes has not substantially increased in recent decades. In fact, the U.S. National Earthquake Information Center reports that earthquakes of 7.0 magnitude' and greater remained 'fairly constant' throughout the 20th century.' Note, though, that the fulfilment of Jesus' prophecy does not require an increase in the number or power of earthquakes. All Jesus said was that there would be great earthquakes in 'one place after another.' Furthermore, he stated that these events would mark the 'beginning of pangs of distress.' (Matthew 24:8) Distress is measured; not by the number of earthquakes or how they rate on' the Richter scale, but by the effect that they have upon people. Some say that any reports of an increase in the number of earthquakes are simply due to advances in technology, which enable more seismic events to be detected.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

*** g02 3/22 p. 9 Earthquakes, Bible Prophecy, and You ***

Earthquakes,

Bible Prophecy, and You

BEFORE his death, Jesus foretold events and situations that would give evidence that this world had entered "the conclusion of the system of things." That period, he said, would be marked by such things as pestilences, food shortages, and large-scale warfare. He also mentioned "great earthquakes" that would occur "in one place after another." (Matthew 24:3, 7; Luke 21:10, 11) Was Jesus referring to our day?

Many say no. They assert that the number of earthquakes has not substantially increased in recent decades. In fact, the U.S. National Earthquake Information Center reports that earthquakes of 7.0 magnitude and greater remained "fairly constant" throughout the 20th century.

Note, though, that the fulfillment of Jesus’ prophecy does not require an increase in the number or power of earthquakes. All Jesus said was that there would be great earthquakes in one place after another. Furthermore, he stated that these events would mark the "beginning of pangs of distress." (Matthew 24:8) Distress is measured, not by the number of earthquakes or how they rate on the Richter scale, but by the effect that they have upon people.

Earthquakes have indeed caused much distress in our day. In fact, during the 20th century, millions have been killed or left homeless by these disasters. Experts say that many of these deaths could have been prevented. "In developing countries," reports BBC News, "building regulations frequently take second place to the demands for cheap, quickly built housing to meet the needs of rapid urbanisation." Commenting on two recent tragedies, Ben Wisner, an expert in urban disasters, states: "It wasn’t earthquakes that killed these people. It was a combination of human error, indifference, corruption, and greed."

Yes, sometimes the deadliest factors in an earthquake are human selfishness and negligence. Interestingly, such qualities come to the fore in another Bible prophecy concerning "the last days" of this system. During that time, the Bible states, people would be "self-centered, lovers of money," and "callous." (2 Timothy 3:1-5, The Amplified Bible) Along with Jesus’ words regarding the conclusion of the system of things, this prophecy provides clear evidence that we are nearing the time when God will bring relief to distressed humanity from all present causes of pain and suffering—including great earthquakes.—Psalm 37:11.

Would you like to learn more about this Bible-based hope? Contact Jehovah’s Witnesses in your area, or write to the appropriate address on page 5.

[Footnote]

Some say that any reports of an increase in the number of earthquakes are simply due to advances in technology, which enable more seismic events to be detected.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit