To: Barbara Anderson -- Re: First WatchTower President

by West70 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• West70
    West70

This excerpt from an article in the January 1890 Watch Tower magazine is "very interesting".

Note Russell's choice of words, while keeping in mind that William Conley is probably unknown to 1890 readers:

WHERE DOES THE MONEY COME FROM?

This we know is a question often asked among our friends and enemies. Our terms on DAWNS, tracts, etc., to our readers and to colporteurs, made very public, convince all that we are not selling the truth for gain; and as the work keeps on and on, the wonder increases. Strangers surmise that many wealthy folks are interested in the work; but those intimately acquainted know better, that the Apostle's prediction is fully verified, --that among the interested are not many rich, not many great, not many whom the world esteems wise, but chiefly the poor of this world.--See 1 Cor. 1:26-29 and James 2:5.

We can only answer: The work is the Lord's and the workers are his, wherever they may be laboring in the harvest field. He is caring for and providing for his own work. As for ourselves, we do not live out of the work, nor accept any monetary compensation for our service for the Master and his cause, that our time and effort may be an offering of sweet savor unto the Lord, acceptable to him through Christ Jesus, our Redeemer. We mention this, not as a reproof to any whom God has differently situated, but that the friends may know how this part of the Lord's harvest work is conducted.

While our personal accounts and affairs are kept separate from those of the general work --"The Tract Fund"-- yet we thank God that we have nothing of our own; that we left all to follow him; that having given ourselves entirely to him, we were enabled to realize that, if we are wholly his, all that we have and are is his also. Hence, though our personal accounts are kept separate and distinct from the general Tract Fund account, yet both are governed and used under the same general principles, of which care and economy are parts, coupled, we trust, with heaven-directed judgment as to how best and most to reach and bless and set free the true sheep, by so dispensing the harvest message as to lead them out of error's bondage and sectarian slavery into the liberty of the truth, and to let all who have an ear hear the voice of the great Shepherd.

Some have said to us (and many have written the same in substance): "If you ever get short and need a little help, be sure to call on me, and I shall be glad to assist." We thank all such, and realize their good intentions and appreciate them, but we never have asked and never will ask money for the Lord's cause. The nearest we ever came to asking money from any convinced us that such a course is wholly contrary to the Lord's will. That instance was in 1881, when over a million copies of "Food for Thinking Christians" were published and circulated. We then remembered a Brother, who was well-to-do, and who had repeatedly shown a deep interest in the cause, and who had said to us, "Brother R__________, whenever you see something good, something specially calculated to spread the light and needing money, something in which you intend to invest, let me know of it --count me in on all such enterprises;" and we merely laid the matter before him, explaining the plan and the amount of money that could be used, without making any direct request. The Brother gave liberally, yet apparently the offering brought him only a partial blessing. And, perhaps from fear that we would call further opportunities to his notice, and from a lack of full appreciation of our motives in the matter or of the light in which we regarded it (as a favor toward him to let him know of the opportunity), that Brother has gone backward and lost much of his former interest. How much the above circumstance had to do with his decline of interest we know not, but it doubly strengthened and guarded us on a point on which we were already well settled, namely, that no direct and personal appeals should be made to any in our Lord's name. All the gold and silver is his. He neither begged nor commissioned any to beg for him.

NOW, WHO DO YOU SUPPOSE WAS THIS "BROTHER" BACK IN 1881, WHO RUSSELL MAKES OUT TO BE SOMEONE ONLY SOMEWHAT AWARE OF ZWTTS???

• West70
    West70

Although off the topic of "William Conley", it should be noted by readers that Charles Taze Russell owned and published ZWT Magazine as a regular "for-profit" business under the D/B/A of "Tower Publishing Company".

That's why I wondered on page 2 if ZWT Tract Society was initially in 1881 established at a separate Allegheny location?

When "Tower Publishing Company" furnished "ZWT Tract Society" with the magazine/tract, "Food For Thinking Christians", "ZWT Tract Society" PAID "Tower Publishing Company" out of its donations.

When "free" subscriptions to ZWT Magazine were sent out to "the Lord's poor", "ZWT Tract Society" PAID "Tower Publishing Company" out of its donations for those subscriptions. Who knows what percentage of ZWT Magazine subscriptions were sent out "free" in the early days???? However, by the 1910s, when ZWT's circulation reached 30,000 per issue (but after Russell turned the Mag over to the Society), there were LESS THAN 12,700 PAID subscriptions. That's ONLY about 42%.

I'm not entirely clear on how Russell shuffled the Dawn Books series between "ZWT Tract Society" and "Tower Publishing Company", but I suspect that the Dawns were also owned by him and "Tower Publishing Company", with any "free" copies being paid for by "ZWT Tract Society". I believe researchers can see that when the colportuering began, their activities were administered by "ZWT Tract Society", BUT "credit" for the books was issued by "Tower Publishing Company". Note that when the Brit "Hays" made his $10,000. donation to "ZWT Tract Society", that most of such went to pay off the large bill that colportuers owed to "Tower Publishing Company".

I further suspect that every time ZWT Magazine was combined with some other item offered by the Society for a "reduced combo price" that Russell received the full subscription price for the Mag.

Now, all this does not mean that Russell didn't donate some or all of TPC's profits back to ZWTTS, but how woud anyone know? If all profits were donated back, why was Russell so meticulous about making ZWTTS pay for everything it got from TPC?

And, if Russell was so rich in the 1880s and 1890s, (then same Qs as above), plus why were donations to ZWTTS so small for the first dozen years or so???

• stev
    stev

West70:

I don't know the answer to your questions. But I do recall reading some years ago A Conspiracy Exposed, which was Russell's defense against his accusers in the mid-1890s. There he explained he sold his clothing store business, and he gave the year - sometime around 1881. He gives the dollar figure, which I recall was around $300, 000. He had considered what course of action he might take with the money, and realized that if he donated all the money at once, he would need to work again to earn money. He thought it better if he invested the principal, and lived off the interest of his investment, so that he could devote his time to his religious work. He could be considered a professional investor. Perhaps someone could post this pertinent section of A Conspiracy Exposed. This might explain why he could not donate more in 1881-1884.

The financial dealings as you describe are quite complicated. No doubt there were accounting and business reasons for doing it the way he did with different companies. He probably did the bookkeeping and accounting himself. Mrs. Russell complained she never once saw the books while she was secy/treasurer. He must have done it himself. He probably had a sixth sense about money.

Steve

• West70
    West70

I forgot to mention above that not only did Russell require the Society to informally stand good for the cost of the Dawn Volumes sold on credit to the colporteurs, but one or more of the annual reports includes language such as "guarantee", which would seem to indicate that there was a written contract between Russell and the Society that stated that the Society would pay Russell for his literature if a colporteur did not.

Better yet, on these accumulated balances which colporteurs owed to him, Russell charged the Society 6% interest, which the Society paid annually out of its donations.

The Society may have ran deficits for several years, but Russell made sure he got his money.

• West70
    West70

Note this excerpt from the Society's first financial report.

It is my opinion that "a brother who has already contributed largely" is William Conley. Since this article was likely written in December 1881, Russell and Conley were apparently still getting along at this point in time.

-----------------------------------

"Z.W.T. TRACT SOCIETY."

This Society was organized less than one year ago, for the object indicated by the name. It is but proper that a statement should now be made at the beginning of the year 1882.

The object of the Society was stated but no requests for help were made. The donations below mentioned, were free-will offerings --some giving until they could feel it. The amounts ranged from one dollar up to thousands.

Total amounts of cash received, .. .... $35,391.18

Total expenditures in printing, etc., etc., .............. 35,336.18

Balance in treasury, Jan. ......$ 55.00

Bills coming due, about ........ 400.00

To all whose donations have been over one hundred dollars, we have made special reports, and to any donor the books are always open for inspection.

We propose continuing this fund, and will endeavor to use it prudently as fast as it is received. In fact as will be noticed in the above report, the expenditure generally exceeds the receipts, but a brother who has already contributed largely, guarantees any debts incurred, to the amount of one thousand dollars in excess of receipts.

It is a principle with us, not to allow the Lord's money to rust.

Should the fund increase sufficiently to permit it, we propose using some portion of it for sending out other laborers. We never solicit donations. Those who possess this world's goods and are wholly consecrated need only to know how they can use it. Donations to this fund should be specified. Address C. T. Russell, Pittsburgh.

------------------------------------

• West70
    West70

Note above that the Society received and spent donations of over $35,000 in its first year of 1881, which was less than one full 12 month period.

Keeping in mind that the Conley "Letter to the Editor" was published in the June 11, 1894 Watch Tower Magazine, and that Russell failed to fully identify Conley, now note this excerpt from the Society's 1894 Annual Report, which appeared in the December 15 issue: "We congratulate our readers that although the year has been marked by Satan's fiercest assaults upon the Lord's work and upon us of the WATCH TOWER as his and your representatives in the supervision of that work, --and notwithstanding, too, the fact that the year has been one of unprecedented pinch in financial affairs, nevertheless it has been the most successful year of the Tract Society's experience in the amount of money received and expended, and in the tract pages circulated, as you will see from the reports of the Secretary and Treasurer subjoined. True, the work is small: --very small is the sum at our disposal for the spread of the Truth compared with the immense sums donated to other tract societies for the promulgation of what we believe to be chiefly error. The Lord in his wisdom has seen fit to limit the means at our disposal, and no doubt for good reasons; --quite probably to draw out to greater activity and self-denial each one who has the cause at heart."

So, 1894 was the "most successful year of the Tract Society's experience in the amount of money received and expended, and in the tract pages circulated"?

The 1894 Annual report goes on to show $9,740.56 as both the Society's Receipts and Expenditures in 1894.

NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE $35,391.18 RECEIVED AND $35,336.18 SPENT BACK IN 1881.

Since the 1881 Report did not indicate "tract pages", that comparison can't be made. However, if more "tract pages" were not circulated in 1881 at a cost of $35,336 than were circulated in 1894 at a cost of roughly $7000**, then something is wrong somewhere. (**$7000 is the approximate figure for tracts and magazines, and their mailing, etc.)

If someone raises the point that Russell was only speaking of figures for the Society after its "incorporation", then such begs the question as to what really was going on between Russell and the Society during the 1881 to 1884 time period so as to justify such a distinction?

All these "financials" relate back to the "Willam Conley" issue. As is often quoted here at JWD: If you want to know what's going on behind the scenes, JUST FOLLOW THE MONEY.

• West70
    West70

For tonite's visitors ...

• stev
    stev

Russell was expecting the translation (rapture) of the saints in 1881. Perhaps Conley was motivated to donate his money with the expectation that it would further the distribution of "Food for Thinking Christians" which would reach the remaining 144,000 to harvest them beforehand. When the rapture did not take place that year, perhaps Conley was disappointed. The split of Russell and Paton occurred around that time too. This is just speculation, but for some reason, it appears that Conley did lose interest.

Steve

• West70
    West70

Stev:

WADR, I disagree that Conley became disillusioned with Russell due to Russell's failed predictions for 1881.

First, I believe that Conley may have put up as much as $30,000 of the over $35,000. donated to ZWT Tract Society in 1881. (Just look at what donations averaged from 1882 into the early 1890s, when "members" and "donations" finally started picking up.) In 1881, $30,000. was a small fortune.

I believe it is more likely that Conley was disappointed that his outlay of this "fortune" did not bring any more results than it did.

ZWT Tract Society was legally formed in Spring (was it March?) 1881. I don't believe "FOOD" had any major circulation until late Summer or Fall, and "TABERNACLE" wasn't even ready until around December. By the time all these factors were planned and executed, I believe that Conley already knew Russell was wrong about a 1881 rapture.

As I pointed out on page 1 of this thread, although Conley was an "Advent Christian", I don't believe that he was a hardcore "timist" or "date-setter". As previously noted, in 1873/4 when the "time brethren" ACCs were predicting the fiery Second Advent, Conley was busy establishing the new "Riter & Conley" partnership after the death of the business founder, and keeping business operations going. (However, I do believe that even Conley and other "non-timist" ACCs believed that the SA was due "any time", and that they probably quietly hoped their "time brethren's" predictions were accurate. Recall that even "highly-burned" George Storrs refused to condemn the 1873/4 predictions.)

Also, remember that 1881 was not the first time Russell's predictions had failed to materialize. Remember 1878!!! Conley had to "forgive" Russell for 1878 also. Who knows if Conley even believed in Russell's 1878 or 1881 predictions. We must keep in mind that the ACC mindset of the 1850s-1880s parallels very closely that of the JWs of the 1910s-2005. While "date-setting" is the life-blood of the two movements, some followers had different commitment levels to different dates, and even that varied fromtime period to time period. One follower might be highly committed to one date prediction, and then 20 years later be committed only to "any day now", and vice versa.

We do know that "something" drastic happened to the Conley and Russell Families relationship between 1882 and mid-1884. We need to keep in mind all that these two families had been through during the 1870s.

Although I believe Conley's "disappointment" was due to practically no results from his $30,000 (?) donation, I can't help but wonder if his "disillusionment" was something more. After all, why be disillusioned NOW, after 1878 and 1881?

In 1893 and 1894, ZWT Tract Society distributed roughly 1.2 to 1.3 million "tracts" each year, and paid Tower Publishing Company roughly $7000 each year for such. In 1881, ZWTTS paid over $35,000 to distribute roughly the same number of tracts. Did Russell's publishing operation take a cut of this $35,000 in 1881, as it did in later years? Or, did ZWTTS pay some other publisher an exorbitant amount for the same amount of tracts? Given both Russell's and Conley's proven business acumen, I doubt that ZWTTS would have overpaid someone else that large of an amount.

Given all that they had been through "religiously" over the years, I believe that Conley would have had to have felt that Russell had taken advantage of him to some degree for Conley to part company.

While Conley's 1894 LTTE might indicate such was not the case, just keep in mind that "time heals all wounds", plus Conley was then in the twilight of his life, and probably looking to put the past behind them.

• stev
    stev

From Thy Kingdom Come, page 367:

*Although we had not thought of the coincidence until now, while writing this chapter, it is not a little remarkable that it was during the last six months of the year 1881 that Food for Thinking Christians, a book of 166 pages, was issued, and circulated to the extent of one million four hundred thousand copies throughout the United States and Great Britain.

Three items connected with that book and its wide and sudden distribution contribute to mark it as at least peculiar: (1) Perhaps no other book ever reached so large a circulation in so brief a space of time, or by the same methods. It was distributed gratuitously at the church doors in all the largest cities of the United States and Great Britain by the messenger boys of the District Messenger Service on three successive Sundays, and in the smaller towns through the mails. (2) The money to defray this expense ($42,000) was voluntarily donated for the purpose, without solicitation. (3) It was, so far as we know, the first book ever published which pointed out the distinction between the high calling of the Gospel Church and the Restitution favors for the world in general, and it pointed out the date of the close of that high calling as October, 1881.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit