To: Barbara Anderson -- Re: First WatchTower President

by West70 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• West70
    West70

I am primarily posting this to Barbara Anderson, but obviously everyone is welcome to correct or comment on my remarks as they see fit.

Mrs. Anderson, I realize that trying to cover all bases in your pending Russell Bio would be impossible, but I do hope that you will be able to include a section on the first President of the Watch Tower Society, William H. Conley.

I hope that you have had a chance to research Conley with some degree of thoroughness, so as to dispel some of the half-truths that some Bible Students and JWs try to promote (such as that Conley's age and health caused his inactivity with Russell after 1881).

Although my understanding may be no better than it was regarding the age of Rose Ball, I will relate some things I understand regarding Conley, and you can correct or comment on such as you see fit. I do so mainly to encourage your research on any aspect that you may have overlooked.

It is my understanding that Conley and his wife were 2 of the 5 original members of Russell's inner circle, along with Joseph and Margaret Russell.

Two notices in ZWT Magazine indicate that the "Memorial" was held at the Conley's home in 1880/1. It would seem logical that the regular meetings of the Allegheny/Pitt area associates were probably also held at the Conley's home.

Conley became the first President of the Watch Tower Society when it was legally formed as an "association" entity in 1881. However, by the time that growth considerations required "incorporation" in 1884, Conley seems to have disappeared, EXCEPT for the fact that WT meetings moved at some point from Conley's home to the Grand Army of the Republic Hall, which was located in an upper story of the Third National Bank of Allegheny building. Conley was a Director of this Bank, and I believe at some point was also listed as its President.

Conley was one of the two partners in Riter & Conley, which was a prosperous metal fabrication business, which served the drilling, mining, manufacturing, and marine, and other industries. Conley is listed as the "bookkeeper" for the original Riter operation, but when Riter#1 died, Riter's brother and Conley continued the business as partners in 1873 until Conley's death in 1897. Like his brother, Riter ran the engineering end of the business, while Conley likely was the "business mind" who ran the business ($$$, etc.) end of the company. Line drawings of the two 1870s buildings are posted on the net. Most net info relates to Riter-Conley Mfg Inc which was the corporation which Riter formed in 1898 after Conley's death. I can't locate any info as to just how prosperous the business was from 1873 to 1897, but there is one brief mention of R&C building 2 metal boats for use in South America in 1875 (when wood was still common). Given the success recorded for R&C post-Conley (I believe there is one reference to over 1000 employees in the early 1900s), I woud guess that even back in the 1870s that R&C made the Russell chain of 5 haberdasheries look like small potatoes; with Conley being much more wealthy than the Russells.

Russell printed a letter from Conley in a 1894 ZWT. Russell re-introduces Conley to his 1894 readers as merely one of the original Allegheny bible students. It is unbelievable that Russell does NOT disclose that Conley was the Society's first President.

When Conley dies in 1897, there is no mention of that fact in ZWT. However, John H. Paton publishes such in his own competing magazine, and even mentions that he has stayed at the Conley home numerous times "over the past 20 years".
    Although Conley denies that he believes one of Paton's primary teachings in the 1894 ZWT letter, he apparently remained closer to Paton (who lived in Michigan) than he did with Russell in Allegheny.

It is my speculation that Conley became disillusioned with Russell quickly after 1881. First, Russell's predictions for the Rapture in 1878 and then 1881 had failed. But, more importantly, there were the two large literature distributions in 1881/2. I don't recall from memory the exact unit count, but I believe it may have been over 1,000,000 pieces. That was BIG BUCKS even back then. I speculate that Conley may have put up half or more of the cost. With little if any results, the "businessman" Conley likely began to have second thoughts about Russell and his message.

While Conley was an "Advent Christian", the fact that he was so active in business in 1873 would seem to indicate that he was NOT one of the "timist", "time brethren", or "date-setting" Advent Christians, who jumped onto Nelson Barbour and Jonas Wendell's 1873 boat, as the "time brethren" ACCs had done multiple times between 1843/4 and 1873. Nelson Barbour was the last of the "date-setting" ACCs, unless you acknowledge the FACT that Russell's Watchtower movement was what it was; an ACC offshoot, which was the sole continuance of the ACC time brethren's date setting.

• sf
    sf

Google is abundant on this topic.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-35,GGLG:en&q=Watch+Tower+Society%2C+William+H%2E+Conley

Mind you, I entered Watch Tower Society. The engines bring up more when you put the words together. Always...play with your keywords to yield better results.

sKally

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

This doesn't really add anything but here is William H. Conley in the 1880 census, employed in "Sheet Iron Bus.":

• West70
    West70

Thanks SF for your contribution. There hopefully might be more info that can be found already posted on the net.

I would simply note that it is my understanding that Conley lived in Allegheny from the 1850/60s until his death in 1897.

One issue that I forgot above is whether this Conley is the same Conley to whom George Peters dedicates one of his Theocratic Kingdom volumes? If so, those circumstances might be a gold mine given Conley's status as FIRST WATCHTOWER PRESIDENT.

Thanks, Leolaia for your contribution. Can you provide a summary of the scanned info? I can't see it. Thanks.

Also, can a Moderator move this topic to an appropriate "category". I'll eventually learn. Thanks.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

West70...Is the image not appearing? It states that in Allegheny, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, lived in one household William H. Conley, 40 years old, employed in "Sheet Iron Bus." (born in Pennsylvania along with his parents), his wife Sarah Conley, 38 years old, employed as "Keeping House," Emma D. Conley, daughter, 8 years old, his father-in-law Josiah Shaffer, 68 years old, Mary A. Sterling, boarder, 44 years old, and a servant named Katie E. Gross, 19 years old. Mary was of Irish ancestry and Katie was of German ancestry.

• West70
    West70

Thanks Leolaia. Your scan is fine. The problem is my vision.

• stev
    stev

In the book "The Theocratic Kingdom", by Peters, Conley's name appears on the dedication page of the third volume. This book was written in 1884, and reviewed in the Watch Tower, which was mixed. The editor (CTR) knew Peters personally. I think that Conley helped to finance the publication of this book. Peters throughout his large opus reviews Russell's and Barbour's views.

Steve

• sf
    sf

You are welcomed.

...whether this Conley is the same Conley to whom George Peters dedicates one of his Theocratic Kingdom volumes? If so, those circumstances might be a gold mine given Conley's status as FIRST WATCHTOWER PRESIDENT.

I see at least four key search words here. Have a go at google and see what it 'hits' you with.

I find this technique works best when researching ANYTHING. That, and a few other tricks.

Happy trails!!

sKally

• sf
  • stev
    stev

The dedication to George N. H. Peters' three volume Theocratic Kingdom (1884)reads: "This Voume is Respectfully Dedicated to W. H. Conley, Esq., and Dr. J. T. McLaughlin, to whom the author is deeply indebted for sympathy and pecuniary aid in the prosecution and publication of the work."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit