For all you bad spellers out there.

by stevenyc 32 Replies latest jw friends

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

The previous person who had my position before me was a horrible speller. Our department website is full of errors. Microsoft Front Page has spell check on it. I cannot believe how bad it is!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

There's a quickie-mart near where I live, the sign in front says:

Convinent Mart

It boggles my mind that the sign makers made not just one, but two spelling errors in ONE WORD and that they hung the sign anyway!!

Welcome to Ohio I guess...LOL

• dmouse
    dmouse

Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    And eye can put the error rite
    Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
    I am shore your pleased two no
    Its letter perfect awl the weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Only to snotwads.
    If you've got something to say about snotwads, you can say it to my face!

Why? You're not a snotwad.

Correct spelling for published works, websites, commercial signs is important. On a message board with informal posts, it's not that important. I don't know about you, but if I type quickly, my brain will tell me to type the wrong word. For instance, not too far above this post in this same thread, someone uses they're instead of their. You know you need to type their, but your brain stops at the wrong word and you type it instead. Or you mean type too but your brain doesn't tell your finger to hit the O twice.

I think it's obnoxious for people to correct posters' grammar or spelling. I know someone who joined JWD. Someone made fun of his grammar, which purpose it was to discredit him, on a political thread. He stopped posting. Please save the corrections for PMs if you must do it. Unless you know the person and you are just poking good natured humor at him/her because you know he/she likes that type of picking. If you don't understand someone's post, due to poor spelling and/or grammar, just ask him/her to express themselves more clearly or to clarify the meaning of the post.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

FHN,

That was intentional grammatical misuse of "they're," "their," and "there." It is one of my pet peeves. Spell checkers don't correct grammatical errors. Grammar checkers often don't catch such errors either.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    That was intentional grammatical misuse of "they're," "their," and "there." It is one of my pet peeves. Spell checkers don't correct grammatical errors. Grammar checkers often don't catch such errors either.

Sometimes, even when you know the right form of their, they're or there to type, your brain will still tell your fingers to type the wrong one. I see it all the time in people's posts, especially my own.

• professor
    professor

I'm a snotwad.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I'm a snotwad.

Oh yeah? And how so? Or are ya just being punky? I don't think you're a snotwad. You don't give people a hard time about their spelling and grammar, do ya? I like that avatar, by the way. Professor was always a sweetheart and he could do amazing things with a radio and a slice of cocanut pie.

• oldflame
    oldflame

Maybe there should be a spell check here on JWD ?

• horrible life
    horrible life

I've tried to download it twice, and it doesn't show up. Maybe I have to shut down? HL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit