Comments You Will Not Hear at the 10-9-05 WT Study (Enoch)

by blondie 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

A while back I posted a silly thread about the calculations used by the modern WT to arrive at 1914 and how if they were consistant in using the 360 (rather than 365) day long 'time' the formula arrives at 1878 not 1914. I was trying to remember then what the WT had said happened in 1878 and how they arrived at it. Thanks for posting the quote Blondie.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thanks Blondie, it must take an age to post all that up. I have noted the links to Alanf 's essay and leolaia's thread - to be read and digested when time permits.

My thoughts on this weeks article? - it reminded of the saying that 'If you repeat a lie often enough then people will believe it' . How many times does the neat little phrase "Turbulent times " appear today? . To people who read little else but WT stuff and are shocked by the intrusive media reports, the times appear turbulent indeed. The key though is not how bad it is, but how much worse is it than the past? (key in Alan F's essay)

Maybe it is my identification with all of us on the outside of the JW fence, but I took exception to the tone of p2 "We have to rub shoulders with those who have no interest in pure worship" . Poor things! those self righteous dubs have to lower themselves to work and live among us . Like we had a bad smell or something

They bemoan the "Deep spiritual and moral darkness of this world" dubs will ever aspire to.despite the fact that the postings above in this thread reveal a deeper interest in scriptural text, and observation of the world around us, then most dubs will ever aspire to.

Vive la J W D Message Board .......

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thanks Blondie, it must take an age to post all that up. I have noted the links to Alanf 's essay and leolaia's thread - to be read and digested when time permits.

My thoughts on this weeks article? - it reminded of the saying that 'If you repeat a lie often enough then people will believe it' . How many times does the neat little phrase "Turbulent times " appear today? . To people who read little else but WT stuff and are shocked by the intrusive media reports, the times appear turbulent indeed. The key though is not how bad it is, but how much worse is it than the past? (key in Alan F's essay)

Maybe it is my identification with all of us on the outside of the JW fence, but I took exception to the tone of p2 "We have to rub shoulders with those who have no interest in pure worship" . Poor things! those self righteous dubs have to lower themselves to work and live among us . Like we had a bad smell or something

They bemoan the "Deep spiritual and moral darkness of this world" dubs will ever aspire to.despite the fact that the postings above in this thread reveal a deeper interest in scriptural text, and observation of the world around us, then most dubs will ever aspire to.

Vive la J W D Message Board .......

• blondie
    blondie

Hey OldSoul,

According to JWs:
    (1) You can't work to earn salvation.
    (2) God will only give everlasting life to those he approves of.
    (3) God will only approve of hard workers. (see Point #1)

Good illustration!

The WTS will be kicking butt next week. The faithful are not flocking.

Cheers, Blueblades,

Blondie, there was this old man, about 85 years old who use to walk very, very slow and humped over. He used to always ask my wife and myself this question every day in a slow drawl, "Did the mailman come yet?" and we would respond yes or no and he would respond, "Are you sure?"
    CLEARLY, HE DID NOT WANT TO WALK TO THE MAILBOX IF HE DID NOT HAVE ANY MAIL

Unfortunately, many old-time JWs have walked to the mailbox many times and found that there was no mail (1914, 1915, 1925, 1975, 1914 Generation, transplants, superior authorities, resurrection of S&G).

Hi zeroday,

Good connection.

I wonder if that "channel of communication, the faithful and discreet slave" includes informing the flock the FDS was a member of the Wild Beast "UN" for 10 years. I forgot, that communication is what they deem necessary for the flock to know.

My then elder husband told me that when the WTS sends out a letter the elders get a much different letter than the one read to the congregation. You are right then "that communication is what they deem necessary for the flock to know." I wonder if Paul, James, John sent out 2 versions of their letters? I wonder which one made it into the Bible, the one for the elders or the one for the rank and file?

Dear Honesty,

What about the many millions of peoples on earth who believe Jesus and put faith in Him?

A point that shows up in almost every WT. Christians, true Christians, God’s people, etc. are only JWs even though they don’t admit it directly. Here's another false assertion from the WTS.

w88 1/1 p. 20 "The Good News Has to Be Preached First" ***

OF ALL those who claim to be Christian, only Jehovah’s Witnesses take the preaching of the good news seriously

De nada, u/d.

Hi jgnat,

The Bethelite writers are not learning a transferable skill. Real magazines teach economy of language. Perhaps they could ghost write for graduate students.
    But then again they'd have to learn how to give proper citations.

They used to. When I go back 30 years or so, there they are citations of the same stuff they quote now, only with the author, book, year, page number and a more complete quote. I wonder what the WTS is hiding now. I think they are afraid the rank and file JWs might look up the book/article and read the whole thing and really learn something.

Welcome, juni,

Is it true that a person who answers now at the WT study can only use what's in the paragraph and not relate other information or experiences?

It is not an official rule but some conductors don’t like you to confuse them by bringing in material they are unfamiliar with. Other conductors don’t mind if you add a little spice to the proceedings. Other conductors are so worried about ending on time they hate to have unplanned comments. Some will say that if the Society wanted it discussed they would have put it in there. It just depends.

Lee,

The Society does not want to admit this, but this text is a quotation of 1 Enoch 1:9, which is cited as inspired prophecy in Jude.

They not only don’t want to admit it, the directly say it is not from the Book of Enoch. This is a small part of the WTS explanation that I quoted above in the review.

w01 9/15 p. 30 Enoch Walked With God in an Ungodly World ***

Does the Bible Quote From the Book of Enoch?

The Book of Enoch is an apocryphal and pseudepigraphic text. It is falsely ascribed to Enoch. Produced probably sometime during the second and first centuries B.C.E., it is a collection of extravagant and unhistorical Jewish myths, evidently the product of exegetical elaborations on the brief Genesis reference to Enoch. This alone is sufficient for lovers of God's inspired Word to dismiss it.

Hey heathen,

The way they switch horses in mid stream is just plain amazing when it comes to consistancy in their dogma

We know that the WTS calls that the "light getting brighter." They switch back too: superior authorities, organ transplants, resurrection of Sodom and Gomorrah, rape/screaming.

Glad to help, peacefulpete,

I was trying to remember then what the WT had said happened in 1878 and how they arrived at it. Thanks for posting the quote Blondie.

Actually, I discovered the 1878 = Jesus as king reading the Studies in the Scriptures. I don’t know how that point slipped by me in the Proclaimers Book. But does open up your thinking about current dates the WTS founds their doctrine on. When will that change?

Thanks for this point, BluesBrother,

I always used to wonder about the Black Death and how that was worse than the plagues today. All people have to do is look around them and see that people are reaching out and those that don’t are the minority not the majority the WTS paints. I used to wonder why JWs were so anxious to write letters to the Malawian government but couldn’t send a card to an ill JW or someone who had a relative die. That’s right, they could count their time for the letters to Malawi!

"We have to rub shoulders with those who have no interest in pure worship" . Poor things! those self righteous dubs have to lower themselves to work and live among us . Like we had a bad smell or something

I found that particularly offensive. What the WTS hides behind that language is that they mean non-JWs, meaning everyone who is a Christian but not a JW, doesn’t worship purely. Like the WTS does with its association with the UN (and still lying about it).

Thanks everyone for your excellent comments,

Blondie

• SallySue
    SallySue

Thanks for your hard work, Blondie.

It takes constant vigilance not to be influenced by that spirit, since we encounter it at work, at school, and in any other place where we have to rub shoulders with those who have no interest in pure worship.

Could they be speaking of family members????

published by Jehovah's Witnesses

Not too many years ago, my JW mother fought with me to convince me that Jehovah’s Witnesses were NOT publishers.

Published by Jehovah's Witnesses--the WTS started saying this in 2001 instead of

*** w00 12/15 p. 14 Help Others Walk Worthily of Jehovah ***

See Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 1, pages 490-1, and "All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial," pages 226-8, published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.

Why? That’s my question too, Blondie….

First, Jehovah is our Creator, the Source of our life, and the Provider of all that we need to sustain life. (Revelation 4:11) As a result, only he has the right to tell us how to walk. In addition, walking with God is the most beneficial course possible. For those who walk with him, Jehovah has made provision for the forgiveness of sin, and he offers the sure hope of everlasting life. Our all-loving heavenly Father also provides wise counsel that helps those who walk with him to make a success of life now, despite their being imperfect and living in a world that is lying in Satan's power.

If all the above is true, why do we need the “organization”? Isn’t God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit enough????

Thanks for all your insightful comments and hard work, Blondie.

• Flash
    Flash

Jehovah is "wise alone." He never makes a mistake
    Perhaps not, but He has reconsidered His actions after the fact. Genesis 8: 21 also 9: 8-17

Thanks Blondie!

• juni
    juni

Heh Blondie,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the information you print here and your thoughtfulness in replying to my questions. Have a good week! Juni~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Room 215
    Room 215

Good job, as usual, Blondie... IIn paragraph nine, love how they resort to one of their favorite fill-in-the-blanks buzzwords ``evidently." Also how their intrepretations of the afterlife color their account of Enoch's disappearance with yet another another ``evidently:" Thus, euphemistically they inform us that ``Jehovah transferred him from the land of life to the sleep of death (?!!)"

They just can't bring themselves to say that Jehovah, the omnipotent Preserver of Life (1 Samuel 2:6) had no alternative but to murder the guy in order to save him! And then, of course ,there are the unspecified ``other indications" that enable them to fill in the rest of the gaps in the story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit