My grandmother (my step-father's mother) just died tonight

by findingmyway 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

This man raised me since the age of 3. I haven't called him my step-father in over 20 years. I called to check on him this evening and to see if he needed anything. He said that he was holding up pretty well. As we got off the phone, I said "I love you." His response: "o.k. thank you."

That type of crap infuriates me! I wasn't that close to his mother anyway, and I hate funerals, but I was going to go and support my family. But just thinking that I my family wouldn't talk to me and I would be surrounded by JW friends of my parents -- people who won't look twice at me makes me ask the question: "Why even go?"

• Purza
    Purza

I am sorry for your loss. Even if you weren't that close to her, it is still a loss.

Was she a JW? Will the funeral be at a KH?

Purza

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

She was not a JW, so the funeral will not be at a KH.

• Purza
    Purza

If it were me and since it is not at a KH. . . I might go to show my support for my step-dad. Your call though. Show them you can still be a decent human being despite not being a JW. JMHO

Purza

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

I'll have to think long and hard about that one. Funerals are typically for the living, and since I don't feel that I need it and obviously my family doesn't need me, then I'm trying to figure what would be my reason for going...other than for appearances and proving that I can still be a "decent human being". I've spent my life trying to prove myself to them. Now, I'm "spiritually dead" to them anyway, so they won't acknowledge my presence...nor will they care one way or the other that I am there.

You know. I'm just angry that in times like these they can't behave like mothers and fathers, like family. I guess I'll have to reevaluate my feelings when this moment of anger passes.

• Purza
    Purza
    I'm just angry that in times like these they can't behave like mothers and fathers, like family.

I hear you. I have felt the same way many times.

I guess I'll have to reevaluate my feelings when this moment of anger passes.

Sounds like a good plan.

My thoughts are with you.

Purza

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

FMW - sorry for the loss in your family.

I take it step-dad is a JW? And all the 'shunners' will be there?

Step above the fray and foolishness of the JW hate - go, support, love, cherish the living. Ignore the walls they have put up and see what happens. The best defense is a good offense. THey might see that you are actually a more loving and concerned person than they are - who knows.

Wishes are with you.

Jeff

• Es
    Es

If you are going do it for yourself and not your family. If you want to pay your respects and say goodbye then all means go but if your only doing it for your fam i think thats the wrong reason as you may be dissapointed in there behaviour get me?

es

• mouthy
    mouthy

(((HUG)) Whatever you decide to do!!! Let it be in Peace. Dont go if your angry--- Just go feeling pity for the poor souls - they THINK they are Christians.... Take deep breaths pray about it & then do what you want to .........From a Granny....

• Legolas
    Legolas

I am sorry for your loss

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit