Do you think 13 is too young to...

by alreadygone 19 Replies latest social family

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

My daughter is going to a school dance on Friday. She is extremely excited because a boy she likes asked her to go to the dance. She is in 8th grade. Her 11 year old brother will be at the dance also. This isn't the first dance she is going to and she is just meeting the boy at the dance. So why do I feel like she is growing up too soon?

(((Troucul))), we can't keep her locked up.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Well from what I recall of that age from my daughters yup they are growing up too fast. One minute they are like little kids and the next they are trying to be adults.

I think of all the years this was the most difficult for me as a parent

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

You should have heard how exited she was when she called me at work to tell me the boy asked her to the dance. Even if I wanted to, I don't think I could have dashed her spirit telling her she couldn't go.

• Purza
    Purza

I let my daughter go to school dances at 13 (maybe she was 12). I don't know, I was okay with it as I felt the dance was appropriately chaperoned. I never had the opportunity to go to school dances when I was growing up and I think because I wasn't allowed to date (in my late teens), I married the first loser I could find. That being said, I am letting my daughter have a more balanced childhood so that she can experience life without the added burden that the JW lifestyle brings on.

JMHO

Purza

• oldflame
    oldflame

Just think Now we all know how our parents felt

• horrible life
    horrible life

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/98274/1687223/post.ashx#1687223

Alreadygone, purza said it all. My daughter was 13 in the picture I posted above. In 7th grade. I let the boy and his dad pick her up, my husband and I went out to eat, and just happened to drive by with a camera, and go in.

It was beautiful. Some of the 8th grade mothers had planned it. I took pictures, for about 15 minutes and left them all in good hands. She loves all of the pictures. And has some tacked up in her locker at school, and on her binder. I am the only mother that took pictures. You don't know how many copies I have made.

She was glad I came, but didn't stay too long. I picked them up afterwards, he gave her a peck on the cheek when he got out. I tried not to look. She was on cloud 9.

P.S. I won a 2nd place ribbon for my picture!!!!!

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

13 is not too young to go to a dance. But, it is not too young to have a hormone ravaged young man put her under pressure to please him Ahhh, they do, do that. Those wonderful, cute guys! I just hope you have spoken to her about protection and how to gracefully turn those cute little boys down. She will then have a great time at the dance!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    You should have heard how excited she was when she called me at work to tell me the boy asked her to the dance.

She's calling you up to tell you this?! You must be doing something right.

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

Thanks for the feedback.

Purza that is exactly how I feel. I want her to experience a "normal" childhood, but being raised as a JW, I don't really know what that is. Trying to find a good balance is what it is all about.

HL, I saw the pics you took of your daughter when you originally posted them. I remember thinking "they look like they are having a blast, they will remember that night for the rest of their lives." I know my daughter is going to have those same kinds of memories.

Hopelessly, oh yes my daughter, son and I have regular conversations about boys/girls, sex, drugs and all that stuff us parents have to worry about.

Nicolaou, thank you that is really all a mother wants to hear

You must be doing something right.
  • free2beme
    free2beme

Just remember, you don't want to push them to hard ... freedom a little at a time, and let trust build up. Remember, your son will soon be getting to your daughters age and you will let him get away with stuff she would have never done. Because you will learn from experience that some things are just not that big of deal, after the fact.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit