The story of my life (part 4- Bethel, the setting)

by onacruse 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Legolas
    Legolas

Please keep it coming!

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Onacruse,
    Didn't go to Bethel but so far, my and your stories are nearly identical.
    Gave first public talk (full one - no half measures in thise days) at 18. Also, was the second school overseer at 18 and Bookstudy conductor at 19.
    I am the same age as you so I guess there was a greater need for young blood back then.
    eyeslice

• alw
    alw

Great read - keep it coming - alw

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Excellent account onacruse but too short. I want more meat in your accounts.... '71, from what I understand Bethel was a different place then. Keep it coming!

• lawrence
    lawrence

EXCELLENT! You must continue! The first time I visited Bethel was 1972. We had 3 years to go, what else was there to do? All gone in 1975, Tishri, so said our Chief Theologian. Once again, great writing, and thanks.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Thanks for your replies.

Sorry, but I can't really find it in myself to answer your questions: it's ripping my guts out to revisit these painful memories, and it's everything I can do simply to complete the story.

Almighty God in the Highest Heaven, how I wish I had never lived this life.

• onacruse
    onacruse

ok, I've recaptured some of my composure, and with no intention of disregarding any of the rest of you :

blondie, you are indeed a sweetheart...and I count it as a small victory that I beat you to a quote of Isaiah 9:6 from the AT! Remember those days, when we'd rush each other for the first answer? LOL

But, to answer your questions, in an honest way that I would choose for very few other people I've never met, or even talked to:

ona, boy you are old. You went when they still had the 4-year contract. 4 years of not being able to get married. I bet as soon as you guys hit Bethel, all you could think of were sisters.

No, all I could think of was masturbation. The one talk that Knorr insisted that he, and he only, give, as part of the "new boy" series, was the talk about sex. And, boy, did he give a talk about it. My penis was jumping out of my pants by the time he was done. So I continued to masturbate, as I'd done since I was 8.

How many were at Bethel then. Not quite the 1,000's they have now. New boy school; I heard stories about that.

Less than 1000.

My first visit to Bethel was in 1971. Maybe I saw you and didn't know it.

Did you tour the plants, or home? I was only in the home, except for an orientation tour in my first week.

How long was it before your illusions about the special "spirituality" of Bethel were broken?

Follow the continuation of my posts. It's a long story, as is yours...I just hope that somebody benefits from it.

But, in a short answer: less than a year.

Craigster

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I dont think we Brits can relate entirely to the U S experience, after all Bethel Service in London would not have been in company of the Governing Body. They only paid visits to address the larger assemblies at Twickenham every few years . I never served in Bethel though . I could not make a success of pioneering so I never qualified.

But at that age, I would have loved to go there- for exactly the same reasons as Craig. My sentiments about serving in such a place would have been the same . It is weird how now, looking back, we can see that we all thought the same .

Keep it coming Craig...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Hi, Craig & Blues Brother Thank you for sharing so generously, Craig.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

walking past members of the Governing Body every day...I could just feel their presence as they approached; it was almost palpable, as the holy spirit oozed from them.

I understand this. The first time I went to a Circuit Elders meeting (I was actually a M/S and M/S were invited in those days) we sang a song - no sisters - ALL apointed men - I absolutely swear to God I could feel the Holy Spirit - the atmosphere was ELECTRIC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit