Ever wonder why...........

by knot4me 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Schne, obesity isn't the problem - gluttony is. I suppose a really obese person could be observed by at least two 'witnesses' going to dinner at an all-you-can-eat joint every night and tell the elders and then the elders might have something to work with. But just because you're obscenely fat doesn't mean you're a glutton.

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

In our hall they avoided that one because the PO was grossly overweight.He couldn't make through a 2 hour meeting without going downstairs and having something to eat.But he wasn't a glutton...?

Goldminer

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Forget gluttony, what about treating your body as a temple blah, blah, blah, being grossly overweight is as harmful if not more harmful to your body than smoking, heavy drinking, etc. I mean that's the reason they give for no smoking right, disrespect for your body, well being morbidly obese would fit that category don't you think?

• knot4me
    knot4me

I can't speak for all obese people, but certainly can my selfrighteous dub cousins. I have witnessed them stuff themselves to imobility several times.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

We used to have the bookstudy in our home. The conductor was so fat he had to sit on our new love seat, instead of the crappy old chair I sat out for him. Every time he would sit down the couch would creak, I used to get so pissed over that.

Total glutton.

• delilah
    delilah

I have an uncle, who is over 6 feet tall, skinny, and can eat anyone out of house and home....Now THAT would be gluttony, in my mind. He goes to an all-you-can-eat restaurant, and eats plate after plate of food...he was kicked out once because he ate so much...

• Andrea Wideman
    Andrea Wideman

They do treat overweight people differently. My KH redecorated and after it was finished I couldn't fit in the seat without hurting myself. At my baptism I couldn't fit in those chairs either. JW's might not openly go after obese people. They do however strongly urge you to go out in field service so much that they call in the JW diet.

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

Gluttony of food is just excessive eating. So an elder would first have to make an understanding of what is excessive. But I would think that since no one can say for each person how much is too much to drink before you are a drunkard..they couldn't do the same for food intake. They will also say that eating to much doesn't effect judgement and put you in situations that could lead to more evil so they can't be so involved in that matter.

But for me.. man.. give me two bars of chocolate and i am a HAPPY drunkwithchocolate WOMAN!!!..

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Yes, considering their hard-line stance on smoking, it's beyond hypocritical for them to not take a similar hard-line on obesity. Not that I think they should. What they should do is stay the hell out of other people's personal decisions, for one thing; and take their own words about "weakness vs wickedness" seriously, for another.

• inquirer
    inquirer

knot4me

JW's never get dfed for being fat? Please don't take this offensively if you are overweight, I'm a little chubby myself. I'm not judging. I have some JW cousins who are morbibly obese. I can't remember the exact scripture but I do recall the bible saying somewhere about not being heavy drinkers and over eaters. So why is it that you can be dfed for abusing your body in other was but not for being fat? Obeseity is fast approaching the #1 killer of Americans. Just something to ponder....

____

Inq -- You know what? You're right!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit