Are JWs the Only Christian Religion who Do Not Fight in Wars?

by blondie 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

*** w90 2/1 p. 22 Exposing "the Man of Lawlessness" ***
    In our century, which religion has obeyed this law of love? Surely not the religions of Christendom, for they have slaughtered one another by the tens of millions in two world wars and other conflicts. It is Jehovah’s Witnesses who have obeyed the law of love earth wide. They have maintained strict neutrality in the wars of the nations, for Jesus said that his followers must be "no part of the world." (John 17:16)

Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)

Amish

Mennonites

Church of the Brethren

Unitarian Univervalists

The above are just a few of the Christian groups that do not participate in killing their fellow humans in war based on their Christian beliefs. Can you think of any other Christian groups that have done the same proving that the WTS is not alone in this characteristic?

Blondie

• JH
    JH

Doesn't the bible say somewhere that there is a time for everything, a time for war a time for peace and so on.....

• blondie
    blondie

That may be true, since that was in the OT, and the Israelites did kill people in war, it probably applies. But I'm trying to keep the the NT, Jesus Christ, and Christian religions today that don't kill people in wars as the JWs say they do. I'm trying not to discuss whether pacifism if correct or not just prove that there are other Christian religions that do not so that the WTS is not unique in this way, thus not the "only true religion."

Blondie

• carla
    carla

I thought the Worldwide Church of God also holds to that. Not sure as they have had major changes as well and a few splinter groups.

• kid-A
    kid-A

The Dukhobors, and the Hutterites.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Then there is the religion that
    the individual alone shares with his or her concept of "God"
    that will not allow the killing of another human being.

I forget what that one is called.

wp

• Justin
    Justin

Seventh Day Adventists

Christadelphians

• blondie
    blondie

Quite a few, eh? Any more?

And the WTS still would like the general public to think that only the WTS do not fight in wars.

*** g95 11/8 p. 30 From Our Readers ***

Only Witnesses Neutral? Your May 8, 1995, issue ("It’s No Secret Anymore") stated: "Only Jehovah’s Witnesses have maintained their neutrality and refused to learn or practice war anymore." In World War II, of the 11,996 men who refused to fight, only 940 were Jehovah’s Witnesses. I was a conscientious objector myself. The word "only" in your statement was used to paint a false picture that only Jehovah’s Witnesses held to this belief.

P. B., United States

We realize that some individuals have refused to participate in war, and we have acknowledged this in our publications. (See "Awake!" of September 8, 1987, page 7.) However, the statement in question specifically referred to the failure of "Catholic and Orthodox believers" to maintain neutrality in Rwanda, Liberia, the Balkans, and other places of recent conflict. Among religious organizations, only Jehovah’s Witnesses have taken a consistently neutral stand.—ED.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Blondie:

I also think its possible that they don't really care what others think,
    more that they themselves believe that they are UNIQUE.

wp

• blondie
    blondie

Right, will power.

This was the one point I hung onto when I was still a JW. I really thought that only JWs had not fought in wars. When I realized that the Quakers, Amish and Mennonites didn't, it made me go hunting, eventually leaving.

The WTS says this point makes them unique, yet the facts do not support it.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit