Can defd or another JW tell me why the watchtower society was formed?

by jaffacake 11 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

This is serious part of my research. The watchtower articles from the 1970s help, but there are gaps in my understanding. Russell was the founder of the Watchtower Society, and presumably part of the faithful & discreet slave?

WT 1975

“Jesus had said ‘look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of things.” (Matthew 28:20) Jesus Christ is the Head of the congregation, his slave, and his words show that he would strengthen them to feed his ‘domestics’ right down through the centuries. Apparently, one generation of the slave class fed the succeeding generation thereof, as well as continuing to feed themselves.
    …Jesus Christ himself called attention to this method of feeding his people not as isolated, independent individuals, but as a close-knit body of Christians having real love and care for one another.”

By 1870 when CT Russell began his lone independent study of the Bible, the faithful & discreet slave class was over 1,800 years old. I see nothing wrong with him setting up a new society, but he must have done so because he saw the need to be different or separate from other religions of the day, even those that were presumably already part of the faithful and discreet slave class?

Guidance would be appreciated on this historical question, for my research please.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have just started reading "The Four Presidents of the Watch Tower Society" From what I gather the WTS of Pennsylvania was established to handle the business part of publishing literature

When Russell was going through his divorce from his wif Maria, he moved the business to New York and established the WTB&TS of New York so that he could hide his income and make it untouchable to the courts.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Thanks LL, I was thinking of even earlier, and not so much the legal corporation. Why would Russell want to start a new group of Bible students and a new magazine, when there were plenty already in existence. One reason seems to be his split with the adventists.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The book says he had some "doctrinal differences".

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

By 1870 when CT Russell began his lone independent study of the Bible, the faithful & discreet slave class was over 1,800 years old

W - tower 15 July 1960 page 435

“Down through the years the slave-like congregation has been feeding its true members faithfully and discreetly. From Pentecost, AD 33, up to the very present hour this has been lovingly and carefully performed. Yes, and these domestics have been fed on progressive spiritual food that keeps them abreast of the “bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established”. (Prov 4:18) All this has proved to be “food at the proper time” as stated by Jesus.”

So the claim is that this faithful & discreet slave was to have a continuous uninterrupted history down through the centuries. Each century & succeeding generation passing on increased illumination. By 1870 & CT Russell, the light should have been very bright.

Charles Russell wrote many articles to explain why the Bible students were formed. He wrote with great authority, and before the days of failed predictions, he seemed to base his early writing on what the Bible taught. Here are some wonderful articles he wrote in those early days when he was determined that Christianity as he understood it should never become a hierarchical organisation, as had happened when the early church evolved into Catholicism.

W - tower 1881 by the President C T Russell

“..their organization was of Spirit; their law for the government of each was love, and all as a whole were put under obedience to ‘the law of the Spirit’ as it was expressed in the life, actions and words of their Lord…”

“..it is clearly seen that these present day churches…interpret and enforce the ‘traditions of the elders’ which ‘make void the Word of God.’ These take the place of the true Head of the Church – Jesus and the true teacher and guide to all truth, the Holy Spirit. Hear the prophet Isaiah express it (chap

“This brings us to our second preposition, viz that all Christians should be joined to this organisation… But says one; Must I not join some organisation on earth, assent to some creed and have my name written on earth? No. Remember that Jesus is your pattern and teacher, and neither in his words or acts will you find any authority for binding yourselves with creeds or traditions of the elders, which all tend to make the word of God of none effect (Mark 7:13) and bring you under a bondage that will hinder your growth in grace and knowledge, and against which Paul warned you to ‘stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ has made you free, and be not entangled with the yoke of bondage (Gal 5:1}”

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

What a difference in what the FDS was teaching about the Bible in the late-10th century: I would welcome comments from defd

W - tower 1882 April Questions & Answers

“We are strictly unsectarian…(read 1 Cor 3:1-4)…we have no creed (fence) to bind us together or keep others out of our company. The Bible is our only Standard, and its teachings our only creed…We are in fellowship with all Christians in whom we can recognise the Spirit of Christ, and especially with those who recognise the Bible as the only Standard. We do not require therefore that all should see just as we do in order to be called Christians, realising that growth and knowledge is a gradual process; nor do we see reason to expect that any but the Watchmen of Zion will ‘see eye to eye (Isa 52:8) until that which is perfect is come..(1 Cor

“If all Christians were to thus free themselves from prescribed creeds, and study the Word of God without denominational bias, truth and knowledge and real Christian fellowship and unity would result. The Spirit of the Head would pervade the unfettered members of the Body and sectarian pride would vanish.”

W - tower 1884 Feb

“We belong to no earthly organization…we adhere only to that heavenly organization ‘whose names are written in heaven’ (Heb Luke )”

“What think you?...suppose…all man made creeds and forms …and names were laid aside, or that all Christians met in the One name of Christ, and in earnest simplicity, studied HIS words under the direction of God’s Spirit and the explanations furnished in the Apostles’ writings, would there be long and serious differences, even of opinion?... And so, by whatsoever names men may call us, it matters not to us; we acknowledge none other name than ‘the only name given under heaven and among men’ – Jesus Christ. We call ourselves simply CHRISTIANS and we raise no fence to separate from us any who believe in the foundation stone of our building mentioned by Paul: ‘that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures’; and those for whom this is not broad enough have no right to the name Christian.”

WT 1895 15 September article “How to Conduct Group Meetings”

“Beware of ‘organisation’. It is wholly unnecessary. The Bible rules will be the only rules you will need. Do not seek to bind others’ consciences and do not permit others to bind yours. Believe and obey so far as you can understand God’s word today, and so continue growing in grace and knowledge and love day by day”.

• TD
    TD
    Why would Russell want to start a new group of Bible students and a new magazine, when there were plenty already in existence. One reason seems to be his split with the adventists.

Russell split with N.H. Barbour during the first half of 1879 over the mechanics of the Ransom. This was at least the primary reason for the publication of a periodical of his own. (Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence, the first issue of which appeared in July)

He explained this in the June supplement to the 1879 Herald of the Morning. For all intents and purposes, he also accused N.H. Barbour of carelessness in the handling of his (Russell's) money.

However he remained on friendly terms with a number of prominent Adventist figures. These included Jonas Wendell, George Storrs and George W Stetson and others. He seemed to regard them all as his Christian brothers. Some who arguably were Adventists were actually contributers to Zion's Watch Tower.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Greetings!

Actually Russell wasn't the first president of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

The following are just a few points taken from my Omni Timeline which will be available on my site soon (www.Jehovahs-Witnesses.net) and that might flesh out some of the details for you.

In 1870, Russell formed the "Pittsburgh Bible Class" with himself and a group of between 8-16 adult members.

In 1876, Russell becomes assistant editor of Barbour's Herald of the Morning and affiliates his Pittsburgh Bible Class with Barbour's and Paton's Rochester NY bible group. The readership of the Herald are almost entirely former or current Adventists.

In 1879 Russell withdraws from Herald of the Morning, he "borrows" the Herald's mailing list of subscribers. Zion’s Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence first published using commercial publishers, has initial printing of 6,000.

In 1881, (February 16) Zion’s Watch Tower Tract Society formed with W.H. Conley as president and C.T. Russell as secretary/treasurer.

This was an unincorporated "Society" much like any association is today which hasn't grown to the extent of becoming an incorporated charity or non-profit or taken that step. As for the "reasons" why the Society was formed in the first place, it is fairly simple to guess. There would be all of the same reasons why such associations are formed today. For organization and coordination, to better address the purpose, to associate with others who have the same interest and purpose, etc. (Actually, there is no reason to guess because Russell tells the story himself in the early issues of ZWT)

The fact is that at this time and for a long time afterwards the persons who belonged to "the Society" were ALSO members of other churches and congregations, frankly mostly of the Adventist congregations that were still left around and forming into organized groups themselves or remaining independent - but also from other denominations.

So initially, at least, Russell never had the intention to form a new or separate Church, in fact he viewed "Church" and Organized Religion with a strict hierarchy and centralization, etc. as a BIG PART OF THE PROBLEM.

In 1884, (December 15) Zion’s Watch Tower Tract Society was legally incorporated in Pennsylvania, USA, with C.T. Russell as president, and his wife Maria as Secretary-Treasurer.

In 1896, the association's name Zion’s Watch Tower Tract Society changed to Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society

-------

I will have more info available on my site but I just thought you might be interested in the above points.

-Eduardo

• jaffacake
    jaffacake
    Russell split with N.H. Barbour during the first half of 1879 over the mechanics of the Ransom. This was at least the primary reason for the publication of a periodical of his own. (Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence, the first issue of which appeared in July)

Oh yes, so that means that in 1914, when they now say his presence begun, they were still teaching he had already returned invisibly in 1874 (herald of Christ's presence). So while Christians of many religions were 'on the watch' for Christ's return, the Watchtower were not watching. Why would they, they were teaching he had already begun his presence. Even Russell's successor, Rutherford (the FDS) kept on publishing the date 1874 for start of Christ's presence long after both Russell's death and long afer the alleged appointment of the 'slave' by Christ in Spring 1919. So Christ appointed the only religion with the wrong teaching, feeding folks with the wrong (perishable) spiritual food......... or did he?

defd - I really need some help with this one please...

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

TD

The fact is that at this time and for a long time afterwards the persons who belonged to "the Society" were ALSO members of other churches and congregations, frankly mostly of the Adventist congregations that were still left around and forming into organized groups themselves or remaining independent - but also from other denominations. So initially, at least, Russell never had the intention to form a new or separate Church, in fact he viewed "Church" and Organized Religion with a strict hierarchy and centralization, etc. as a BIG PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Thanks for all the historical info. So your post explains the old watchtower articles I posted above, where Russell (the FDS according to WT teaching) said we should not have an earthly organisation. This must be one of those 'former' truths I've heard so much about in the JW religion? I wonder when the Watchtower started to turn into the very thing it set itself up to oppose?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit