Wt tax exempt status challenged in Canada

by JosephMalik 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I can't say how it works in America's different states, but I'm pretty sure that here in Ontario, the congregations I went to never had all the publishers vote on who would be their trustees. I wonder what is done in the other provinces?

If they do look into the WT, it should consider in detail just how the collected monies are disbursed. It was all legal mind you and as an accounts servant it peeved me to no end.

As a registered charity in Ontario, they are to disburse 80% of receipted donations.

In one year, our congregation received a little over $22,000 CDN in contributions. Nearly $10,000 was from the other congregation sharing the hall (so thats legally a gift which we don't have to give any receipts for). Of the roughly $12,000 left, nearly $7,000 was receipted and the remaining $5,000 wasn't. That 5 grand was almost all for the Society and some for the congregation. Conversely, the receipted 7 grand was almost all for the congregation.

The disbursement quota is calculated on the $7,000 figure and not the $22,000 collected.

Disbursement can be on actual maintenance and operating costs of the kingdom hall (it was over 6 grand that year), as well as any money given to qualified donees (i.e. The Society and the circuit overseer expenses). The registered charity could easily meet the quota (the quota would be based on the receipted donations of the previous year though).

Mind you the following year saw very little contributions. Hopefully that'll be the trend. Barely any good was ever really done by these "charities".
  • luna2
    luna2

I remember participating in a "vote" on a couple of occasions....problem is, that I had very little idea who or what I was voting for most of the time. It was all laid out in front of us and it was expected that we'd all vote "Yes". Also, voting in public by a show of hands is very intimidating. Even if you had an objection about someone, it would take quite a bit of courage to buck the majority.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Joseph Reed appears before a judge in the Supreme Court, which is the highest court in British Columbia, in Victoria, B.C., September 29th, Thursday at 9:30 A.M.

Joe Reed filed a complaint asking the attorney general to open an investigation into whether Watchtower congregations follow Canadian corporate law when electing officers (elders) or have corporate members (the congregation) vote to throw out a member (disfellowship). On Thursday, the judge will hear Joe's evidence and subsequently decide if the complaint has merit or not.

It is unknown at this time if the Watchtower will have an attorney present or if the judge will order the prosecuting attorney to require the Watchtower to have an attorney at the hearing to represent them. Mr. Reed notified the Watchtower in Canada about his complaint and the hearing date, so they can't say they knew nothing about it.

Barbara

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

This will be interesting to follow.

Kwin

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

Maybe it is a US vs. Canada thing. I also recall the annual corporation meeting. A brother would "suggest" another brother for treasurer, etc. then someone would second the motion then all in favor would raise their hand.

A very intimidating way to hold a corporation meeting and "elect" officials, but who asked me.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I don't remember exactly, but I defintely remember voting on who would conduct the WT study. As far as I can remember, elders served as P.O., Secretary, Accounts Servant, Ministry School Overseer, and so forth, by rotation every 3 (?) years. I don't remember any elder being corporate members. Ah well, tonight this is way over my head, but it'll be interesting to follow when I'm not so tired.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit