JW Literature-why not public?

by AllAlongTheWatchtower 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• inquirer
    inquirer

If they had released the New World Translation in full in 1961 at the most popular book stores, I would say it would have the same attention received for it that the Davinci Code! Millions would have bought it! I reckon it's a jolly good idea to see it at normal book stores and not just at WTS publishing houses.

I use to work for a JW. He owned a small business and he use to place Watchtower magazine on the lower shelf, so why not put WTS publications in an actual book store (like Australia's Dymocks) and let everyone know?!

I got my Catholic New American Bible at Dymocks. And I am glad it is accesible.

I am kinda lucky getting the original American Standard Version. I got it at the Australia Bethel. But that's only because I live in Sydney! It would have been pretty hard to get otherwiese! Maybe I could have got it at the Kingdom Hall, but that would have taken a gamble. I could have got the ASV online... But that's not the point. It should be widely available.

And I agree with the previous poster! WHY NOT HAVE A JEHOVAH'S WITNESS FOR DUMMIES!!!!! Fair dinkum mate!!!!!!

But, another poster said it's about 55% of the profits going to the "wrong people." "Worldly people," that is. But I am sure they could work out some agreement.

I guess the answer is, is to go to a Kingdom Hall before the meeting starts... But that's no good, because that's a brainwashing session. They start to do that pretend "welcoming stuff." But that's not the point either. Because they aren't exactly open to the public from 9-5 pm, 5 days a week! And if I wanted to get a leather-bound Bible, I would have to order it. That's what happened last time I was a JW.....

Everything should be available when you want it.... Sorry to repeat myself...

• inquirer
    inquirer

oldflame:

They proceeded to tell me that any religion that takes away from the true diety of Christ are not sold in Christian book stores. Sounded pretty good to me and made perfect sense. After all I was in a Christian book store and knowing full well that they are not christians, I left in agreement and was glad to see that true christians were being protected in those book stores. So that might be why you could not find the book you were looking for.

I think these Christian bookstores are just discriminating against Jehovah's Witnesses! Can't have your own point of view! No, no, everyone must either have the sign of the cross or denounce Catholicism! You can't buy "niche books."

Why is it that as a pro-NWT person, I can also pick up a protestant NRSV and a Catholic NAB and enjoy just as much? I see Catholic teachings in the appendix of the NAB and don't think it's wrong and somehow I should correct them. Same with the NWT, it has teachings in the appendix that I don't agree with. I just think it's there beliefs. Everyone has got a hidden agenda, including JW's.

I am sure the Greek scholar Jason BeDuhn (who wrote Truth in Translation), who like me likes the NWT and other Bibles would not like this bias, discriminating reasoning!

It's like what Ray says [paraprased]"everyone has a right to know about what happens in the WTS."

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Allalong your gut feelings are not lying to you.

The jw's are a cult and a dangerous one at that. The blood issue you mentioned is a requirement that people be willing to sacrifice their lives in order to remain in good standing with the jw cult.

What more do you need to understand this?

Outoftheorg

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

By the way, I recommend this video for your wife: http://www.freeminds.org/sales/calledtobefree.htm

(which you probably know about already. Didn't you say you were ex-WCG?)

Thanks M.J., I am aware of that video, and yes, I am ex WCG. However, since my wife knows I'm atheist, any religious material I suddenly decided I liked and wanted to buy would be suspect to her. Furthermore, I hate the WCG with a passion. Even though I have heard they reformed since their HWA days, I could not bring myself to have anything to do with them, most especially buy a $10 video from them. You can lead a mule to water, but you can't make him drink-if the WCG had the last glass of water on earth, I would not accept one sip, and certainly wouldn't PAY for it after all the thousands of dollars my parents (and myself to a lesser degree) gave to this organization over the years.

r51785: "The Watchtower has chosen to distribute its literature throught "The Worldwide Multi-Level Marketing Work."

Heh...aren't multi-level market schemes also known as pyramids? Guess they're still following Russell's mysticism after all, lol.

• M.J.
    M.J.

All Along,

Sure, I see your point. I really reccommend reading Combatting Cult Mind Control, if you haven't already. One of the main things you need to have her make the connection on is how her "cult" is similar to other cults. You are in quite a unique position to do so. The two cults are remarkably similar (although the WTS is admittedly less extreme and much more media-savvy.) I'm sure you've naturally related the similarities between the two groups, but when you do, you really ought to focus on the process of indoctrination, not the specifics of doctrine. I'm sure you're familiar with the Exit & Support network website. They don't have the greatest-written articles, but there is a wealth of personal experiences in the WCG, as well as breakdowns of how it fits into the "mind control" model. Ex-JWs that have read many of those articles have expressed shock in the similarities of experience.

• Flash
    Flash
    Answers began coming to me, ugly answers like control of information, secrecy, increased profit, hidden and/or ulterior motives, all summed up in one word. CULT. It gave me a really creepy feeling. Is there some logical explanation of this that I just don't know as a non-witness? Or is it really a bad indicator like I am thinking?

A very good observation from a fresh pair of eyes outside the WTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit