I wonder how my mother-in-law will react.

by Andrea Wideman 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• Andrea Wideman
    Andrea Wideman

My mother-in-law is a JW. She is the one that gave the Knowledge book and took such and interest in my baptism that she made sure whomever needed to know did about why I wasn't with the other people getting baptized that day. I couldn't fit in the seat. It hurt me terribly and I spent the day crying
    She is also a person that does everyhting the GB says. I do still want to have a relationship with her but don't want me or my kids to be harassed by her for the choices made. By now my local KH should have received my letter of disassociation and she has friends there. My goal wasn't to hurt her with my leaving,the woman is under psychiatric care because she has delusions, but once I found out about the inconsistencies in the doctrine I knew that I had to write that letter. I couldn't stay with a religion where I am being lied to. Definitely couldn't continue raising my kids in something I no longer believed in .

• kid-A
    kid-A

I have a favourite Latin expression that helps me deal with JW relatives:

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

If you want peace, prepare for war.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Distance and boundaries. You are going to have to establish some distance and be very clear what behaviour will be allowed and what will get her access cut off from her grandchildren.

For instance, never allow her to undermine your authority. If you sniff out ONE INSTANCE of "We'll tell mom we're going to McDonald's, but don't tell her we're going to the meeting FIRST." Cut her off.

Call display helps, too.

• Andrea Wideman
    Andrea Wideman

Due to her illness she isn't allowed to take my kids out by herself in case she has an episode and thinks she is seeing demons. Also has been known to accuse her best JW friends of trying to poison her food. This stuff happens when her medication needs to be adjusted.
    Distance can be done because she lives 10 miles away and rules will have to be worked on as time goes on. For example no giving the kids literature and lecturing them on the evils of movies, tv shows, books, etc.That is Joel's and my job to guide them in their choices.

• Bryan
    Bryan

What about your husband, did he DA? Does he understand how his mother could could hurt your children?

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• Andrea Wideman
    Andrea Wideman

When he joined the Navy he says that pretty much DAed himself. He does know of the pain she could cause after all she raised him and caused him tons of it. Thank you for your concern.

• 2-step
    2-step

let yo kidz make their own choice, if u've da'ed y r u here,there must b sumthing to it, r u disapointed by blifs or yo mil's illness

• Celia
    Celia
    let yo kidz make their own choice, if u've da'ed y r u here,there must b sumthing to it, r u disapointed by blifs or yo mil's illness

HUH ? !

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

lmao 2-step thinks this is a witness site.

Nice grammer 2-step, just barely understandable.

• Andrea Wideman
    Andrea Wideman

I did ask them if they wanted to stay JW's and I would respect their beliefs. They informed me that they were only being JW's until 18 and then they would have left it anyway. I believe their exact words were yahoo! When I told them about my decision.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit