At church today....for interested, Not interested, could be interested Ones

by AuntieJane 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

(I posted this in Friends, thought maybe it should be here though.)

OK, Now that I have your attention! Just wanted to share a reading from church today, I could not help but sit and think about the New World Translation, and wondered if JW's are able to "get this" from that book. Would be interesting to compare it.If anyone can let me know, does the NWT say these words, or has it replaced JC with Jehovah?

Philippians 2:1-11 (brief version)

(Paul says:) If there is any encouragement in Christ, any solace in love, any participation in the Spirit, any compassion and mercy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, with the same love, united in heart, thinking one thing. Do nothing out of selfishness ; rather, humbly regard others as more important than yourselves each looking ou not for his/her own interestes, but also for those of others.

Have in you the same attitude that is also in Christ Jesus...Who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped. Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found human in appearance, he humbled himiself, becoming obedient to the point of death...

Because of this, God greatly EXALTED him and bestowed on him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE SHOULD BEND and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

Peace, AuntieJane

• skyman
    skyman

This is waht the NW say's

1 Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus, to all the holy ones in union with Christ Jesus who are in Phi·lip´pi, along with overseers and ministerial servants. 2 May YOU have undeserved kindness and peace from God our Father and [the] Lord Jesus Christ. 3 I thank my God always upon every remembrance of YOU 4 in every supplication of mine for all of YOU, as I offer my supplication with joy, 5 because of the contribution YOU have made to the good news from the first day until this moment. 6 For I am confident of this very thing, that he who started a good work in YOU will carry it to completion until the day of Jesus Christ. 7 It is altogether right for me to think this regarding all of YOU, on account of my having YOU in my heart, all of YOU being sharers with me in the undeserved kindness, both in my [prison] bonds and in the defending and legally establishing of the good news. 8 For God is my witness of how I am yearning for all of YOU in such tender affection as Christ Jesus has. 9 And this is what I continue praying, that YOUR love may abound yet more and more with accurate knowledge and full discernment; 10 that YOU may make sure of the more important things, so that YOU may be flawless and not be stumbling others up to the day of Christ, 11 and may be filled with righteous fruit, which is through Jesus Christ, to God’s glory and praise.
  • siegswife
    siegswife

This is how the NWT reads at Phillipians 2:1-11

If, then, there is any encouragement in Christ, if any consolation of love, if any sharing of spirit, if any tender affections and compassions, make my joy full in that you are of the same mind and have the same love, being joined together in soul, holding the one thought in mind, doing nothing out of egotism, but with lowliness of mind considering that the others are superior to you, keeping an eye, not in personal interest upon those of the others.

Keep this mental attitude in you that was also in Christ Jesus, who, although he was existing in God's form, gave no consideration to a seizure, namely, that he should be equal to God. No, but he emptied himself and took a slave's form and came to be in the likeness of men. More than that, when he found himself in fashion as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient as far as death, yes, death on a torture stake. For this very reason also God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every [other] name, so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground, and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

Not much different.

Lea

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit