JW's fight Vietnam war?

by Fatfreek 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

At last count there were 58,193 American casualties from the Vietnam war. How many of them were Jehovah's Witnesses? For what it's worth, check out the following, downloaded from:

http://www.archives.gov/research/vietnam-war/casualty-statistics.html

CACCF Record Counts by Religion (as of 12/98)

Religion / Number of Records
    Assemblies of God 117
    Baptist-American Baptist Church 4
    Baptist-Southern Baptist Church 121
    Baptist-Other Groups 9,478
    Brethren, Dunkers 63
    Buddhism 53
    Christian Science 63
    Church of Christ 528
    Church of God 238
    Congregational Christian 145
    Disciples of Christ 34
    Episcopal, Anglican 825
    Evangelical, United Brethren 39
    Evangelical, Reformed 11
    Friends, Quakers 12
    Jehovah's Witnesses 26
    Jewish 269
    Latter Day Saints, Mormon 589
    Lutheran & Missouri Synod 2,251
    Methodist 4,079
    Mission Covenant 1
    Moslem, Muslim 12
    Nazarene 132
    Orthodox, Greek 58
    Orthodox, Russian 22
    Pentecostal 182
    Presbyterian 1,303
    Protestant-Other Churches 559
    Protestant-No Preference 16,644
    Reformed 45
    Roman Catholic 16,815
    Seventh Day Adventist 116
    Unitarian Universalist 45
    United Church of Christ 11
    No Religious Preference 1,284
    Other Religions 210
    Unknown, Not Reported 1,809
    Total 58,193
    Record counts provided for informational purposes only, not official statistics

Fats

• blondie
    blondie

That could be several reasons.

1. They were raised a JW but never were baptized but considered themselves one.

2. They were a JW but were df'd for joining the military but still considered themselves one.

3. They took an interest in the WTS while a soldier but were not baptized but still considered themselves one.

4. They weren't one but their family identified them as one when picking up the body for funeral arrangements.

The military doesn't ask to see your publisher card and they don't call the elder body to check into your WTS official status.

Blondie

• free2beme
    free2beme

My uncle spent time in prison, rather then going to war. I know some might have gone, but also keep in mind that the organization was far smaller back then and comparing your thought to modern numbers would not make sense or equal the amount you might think.

• kid-A
    kid-A

What is the official policy, is a JW disfellowshipped for joining the military? I would guess yes.

• blondie
    blondie

Technically, if you join the military you have disassociated yourself (no letter is necessary). My mistake.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Another question, how do we end up with JW doctors? My guess is that they are converts. I can't imagine how parents can justify the time and expense away from field service to support a child through a medical degree. Not to mention the regular ethical conflicts the adult child would encounter regarding blood transfusions.

• Preston
    Preston

I'd ask Terry... I think he went to prison for refusing to enlist...

- Preston

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    Jehovah's Witnesses 26

My brother was one of those 26. He never was babtized but listed Jehovah Witness as his religion when he inlisted after all he was raised in the B'org since he was 5 years old.

He was killed in action 8/19/69.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

So sorry about your brother, Bikerchic.

With reference to the disfellowshipping vs. disassociating issue (yes, it is an issue). When I attended a two week school for elders in the early 70's that issue was a big negative for me. It, more than anything revealed the politics of the Society, their fear of the governments as they taught the peons, "Have no fear of man".

I recall asking the question, "Why the two different announcements? I mean, when a person joins the military is he not flaunting the Society and its teachings?"

I recall the uneasy squirming and hedging of the instructor. No, I can't quote exactly the words of some instructor from some 30 years ago but I recall this, "Brothers, we are engaged in Theocratic warfare. We've had to create tactics to put ourselves on equal footing with the enemy. This is a wartime strategy. If we were to explicitly announce the cutting away from our association a soldier of this country, we would make ourselves vulnerable to charges from this government's leaders. The Watchtower could be shut down. It may have to operate "underground". By announcing that a person has disassociated himself, in effect, we are telling outsiders that he has left the organization of his own volition. We are distancing ourselves by claiming the separating act was his and not ours. The bottom line -- we are keeping the organization clean and we are less vulnerable to a potentially calamitous charge of sedition."

"Doesn't this send the message that we are cowards and actually have the fear of man that we teach against?", I countered. That question of mine fell on deaf ears.

Fats

• blondie
    blondie

I guess I slipped in my terminology, Fatfreak, sorry. You are right that those who were announced as having DA'd themselves were considered more dangerous spiritually.

Some DA'ing offenses

Joining the military

Joining a religious organization (other than WTS)

Accepting a blood transfusion

But now the announcement "SoandSo is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses" sidesteps the DA'd or DF'd question. The rank and file have to depend on the gossip mill to find out the status of the person..

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit