Pets and the Watchtower

by TMS 20 Replies latest jw friends

• TMS
    TMS

My car’s cheap CD player is on repeat playing track 9, Bob Dylan singing “Tomorrow Night” during my hour long commute to a job not suitable for a 58 yr old man. Returning home the same tune plays just short of distortion, a funeral dirge for Wessie.

“Tomorrow night. . . will it just be another memory,
    Or just another song, that’s in my heart to linger on?”

Selfishly clinging to hope that he can greet me just one more time, follow me to my bed and snuggle under my arm as I kick my work shoes off, I creep down the driveway. Before I reach the door, my 30 year old son breaks the suspense: “Wessie is dead!”

I get very emotional and follow my son to the back yard under the oaks, where he has been working with pick and shovel. I start swinging the pick at the red granite-like Texas clay that lies beneath the organic topsoil. I know these are not rocks, although they feel like it. “Dad, don’t do that! I’ll get it.” But I ignore my son as Wessie was my dog , too, and each strike at the unforgiving ground proves my love. Actually, Wessie was my wife’s dog. She is the one who squirted chicken broth down his forced-open throat after the vet wanted to end his life. She is the one who held him in her arms in the green metal 50’s style lawn chair the last two days of his life as his body temperature lowered even in the 100 degree Texas heat. But, it was my son who picked him, slept with him and needed him the most as a canine replacement for the wife he didn’t have and the friends he had left behind as our JWhood faded.

How true those Watchtower words of the early 90’s had been, saying in affect: “Many mature Christians “count the cost” with respect to the additional burden of the care and feeding of a pet. Realizing that such additional responsibilities could actually take time away from Theocratic service, they wisely avoid that commitment.”

But when we shattered our Theocratic future by harboring a DF’d son, we needed an advocate. Everyone else viewed us as scum, but Wessie, a supremely hyper black and tan miniature pinscher, saw the good in us and viewed everyone else as scum. Even Chester, the floppy black Labrador across the street was hated by Wessie. NO ONE penetrates this sacred yard! Wessie was a dog no one else could love, who loved only us. How privileged we were to know him.

For two weeks my car stereo has played one song and I have thought of one little boy. My wife’s weekly pill organizer is still full with a week’s medication. The gloom is like a lowered ceiling we all must bend under to walk around. The kitchen table is covered with the classified section of the Star Telegram, opened to the Pets page.

My wife writes the check out. The lanky man is grateful to find a home for one of his puppies and is sorry the black and tan one is already gone. My wife cups the 5 inch red dog in her hands like the precious life that it is.

Nothing has been replaced here. A real father is not happy with ten replacement children for the ten he has lost. A real father does not sacrifice his son, because a God suggests it. If he is that worshipful, he offers himself instead. Take my used up, tired body, Lord, but let my son live.

“Tomorrow night. Will you be with me when the moon is bright?
    Tomorrow night. Will you say those lovely things you said tonight?”

TMS

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

TMS,
    I am so sorry for your loss. I had to put down my 13 year old dog about 3 months ago. I still miss her. She was a funny looking dog, 1/2 rottweiler, 1/2 golden retriever. She got the worst of both breeds in looks, but the best in both in personality. She weighed about 100lbs. She made an impression in my front yard, and in my life. I still come home from work and expect to see her. The grass is growing back in the bare spot of the lawn where she would lay and watch the world go by, and wait for me to come home. Animals are a gift from our creator, they bring us much joy, unconditional love and companionship.

The vet came to our house to put her to sleep, he had tried to save her. She had kidney failure. Very expensive. It didn't matter the cost. Her pain and suffering was all that mattered. The success of treatment was very low. She needed to go in dignity. We fed her bacon, her favorite, she looked at us with eyes that told me of her love and commitment, and with one last wag of her tail, she closed her big brown eyes and took her final breath. We buried her on a hill overlooking the ocean, where she had played frisbee for many years. She will always be in my memory, and in my heart.

I will get another dog soon.

Enjoy your new puppy. I know it will help the grief process.

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

TMS,

So sorry for your loss of Wessie.
    I so much admire your courage for not letting the org. dictate to you the association that you could have with your son. If only more people would follow their consciences like you, and to do the right thing and love our families unconditionally the world would be a much more happier place.
    Congrats on your new puppy!

BW

• TMS
    TMS

notperfectyet:

Yes, it was acute renal failure with Wessie, too. The two poisons in his system were off the chart. We kept him alive for 14 months. He did not seem to be in pain, just weak. He still set the tone for our household. He was thin and cold. My wife would put a comforter in the dryer for a few minutes. He loved to burrow into its warmth.

betweenworlds:

You are very kind. My decision to invite my son back into the home was not a courageous one. At the time I was still trying to work within the parameters of Watchtower guidelines. One Watchtower reference mentioned that if a family head, deamed that his disfellowshipped offspring or parents needed to remain in his home due to financial, health or other considerations, that was his decision to make. At the time, I didn't view this as merely spin. Since I had always been an elder, I had never experienced the oppressive nature of organizational mandates. I was accustomed to simply doing what was right, and if someone questioned my actions, I usually could explain matters. But here the dynamics changed, and for the first time, I found myself helpless to "steady the ark", so to speak.

TMS

• philo
    philo

I am sorry too, TMS. (((hug))) philo

• Seven
    Seven

TMS, Posted for you near the bottom of page 19 in the music forum: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=7398&page=19&site=3

• teejay
    teejay

Beautiful writing, TMS, of a sad chapter in your life. Sorry to hear about the loss of your family member.

I was particularly moved by your conclusion's reference to Job's loss and the offering of Isaac. Being a father of a growing and inquisitive two-year-old daughter, I'm am like you when you said: Take my used up, tired body, Lord, but let my son live. I am also sorry that you were forced to choose between the religion to which you had been so loyal and your son. It should not have been that way. For what it's worth, I think you made the right choice, the only one you could make.

take care,
    tj

• Francois
    Francois

I have an eleven year-old Australian Shepherd that's just now beginning to slow down. I think she's got another seven or eight years, but already I'm dreading it.

Spiritual maturity means "wisely" avoiding pets? You know, I want to be there when the JW leadership gets its karmic rewards, don't you? There will be some heavy-duty explaining to be done.

You know, it occurs to me that the WTB&TS acts as if it doesn't really believe in any God but money. What else could explain their behavior?

Francois

NOTE TO GOVERNING BODY: You've been challenged to a debate, boys. Dont you have ANY balls?

• Tina
    Tina

(((((((((((tms))))))))))))
    I am so sorry for your loss.
    Unconditional love. That is what makes a loving pet so special.
    Im happy to hear you followed your heart regarding your son.
    I've lost 2 special family additions over the years. I understand your pain. Again,deepest sympathy.luv,Tina

Hi teejay,
    I really appreciated your point about a pet being a family member! So true. They do become integral parts of the family unit,don't they? regards,Tina

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

My Hamster is 2 years old and only has a year left and Im already dreading his loss...I got two kittens born in March 8th (same as my birthday) and I will be so sad when they pass..pets are a big part of a petowners lives and losing them is very very hard. I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your moment with us though.

-Dan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit