howdy from witnet

by therealObed 12 Replies latest jw friends

• therealObed
    therealObed

Hi folks,

I caught a thread here that discussed some of what's been going on at witnesses.net. I thought maybe some of you might want to ask questions about "witnet" and I'd probably be in the best position to answer.

Otherwise, just saying hello. A question for Simon: Did you code the software for this discussion board yourself? (If so, very good job indeed!)

"the real" Obed

• Simon
    Simon

Hi-ya
    Yes...you can tell that the code is my own work because it's...erm...unfinished. New version is in the pipeline to allow WAP, Palm, PocketPC access etc...
    It will be ready 'one day'
    Nice to hear from you and if you are the 'real'Obed, I think the post you made when Joe Mesko passed away was very nice.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey therealobed,

As with Simon, if you are "the real Obed," good to meet you - and I also thought your comments about Witnet's death and curious problems he caused your moderators was thoughtful.

As for Witnet, the Controversial Forum is interesting. There is an outspokeness "allowed" there that we enjoy here - all the time. However, the difference is that there are seems to be many more active jw's there.

Therefore, the discussion on "emerging new style jw" is really fascinating. Been keeping up with it, excellent points. However, it is curious as to the reason Jane and a couple of others would post in the Controversial area. They definitely are not controversial as jw's go - seem quite like most jw's in my area.

I tried to join Witnet a while ago, didn't sign up but I don't think I would have fit in. H2o is a bit "too" right now on the other end of the spectrum - seems the words "strongest survive" are in operation.

From your "sign up" place, it seems that your site is not accepting new members, spiritual security, etc. Also that the KH that a person is attending is necessary. Curious.

See ya in the Controversary!

waiting

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Hey Obed

Just wanted to congratulate you on bringing Witnet from what appeared to be near death to what appears to be a valuable insight into the thinking Witness mind.

Hey you need a few "Janes" to contrast that with the "informed thinking" ones. The "uncle Onion" thing was a blast. Kudos to those who were responsible for posting the letters. This Robbie guy has been a refreshment as well, and Friend is always a star along with some of the ladies like Furmom. Weavis has been a most excellent moderator too.

Anyways, thanks for everything guy.

Path

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Obed, nice to have you visit. Grab a cup of coffee, sit down, put your feet up....enjoy.

As the others mentioned, I noticed your post about Joe Mesko. He was a brilliant guy, even if he DID cause a lot of problems. I guess he really helped you tighten up security, though.

Congratulations on what you've done with Witnet. I used to browse there occasionally, but it was as dull as dirt with paranoia abounding. Now the discussions are enlightening and thoughtful.

Speaking of dull as dirt, have you checked out our sex forum? I think you guys at Witnet have discussions that are much more provocative than our lame (but clean) jokes, and discussions of kidnappings (you see, Waiting is very old and has NO idea of which forum she is posting on.....check back on our Sex forum...we'll have recipes soon...LOL).

• waiting
    waiting

My Dear Red,

I was reading along with all earnestness, then got to my name......

and immediately laughed and said outloud, "you ass!"

Just so that you know I'm not thatold!

waiting

• therealObed
    therealObed

Thanks for the warm reception. Simon, I just have to say "wow". Even if it's unfinished, you've still accomplished a lot. I am a Java programmer myself, but UBB is written in PERL which allows for lots of quick and dirty modifications. Unfortunately, that also means that the code starts getting unreadable after a while.

It's a blast running witnet. I get a lot of personal satisfaction from providing a "safe" place for real witnesses to discuss important issues.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

My Dear Waiting,

Please notice my name....it is NOT RedassWoman. LOL

• Simon
    Simon

I had a look at PERL once...way too complicated for me - I was raised on COBOL and BASIC so all that shorthand stuff is just too cryptic.
    The new version I'm working on is all XML / XSL - I find it helps to learn stuff if you do real projects with it.

• waiting
    waiting

Well, Dear ______________,

it is NOT RedassWoman.

We could change that little problem in a skinny minute, now couldn't we?

waiting, (getting closer to title of perpetual pms)

Edited by - waiting on 20 September 2000 14:33:48

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit