Anyone on this board around Miami area?

by Alana 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Alana
    Alana

My husband was originally scheduled for a conference in New Orleans in October, but that was cancelled due to Katrina. They are talking about moving it to Miami. I had been to New Orleans a few times and was familar with it, but I don't know a thing about Miami. I was just wondering if anyone here is from that direction.

• Nellie
    Nellie

Yeah, I'm in Fort Lauderdale - what would you like to know?

• Nellie
    Nellie

Gary, Gary, Gary, that's not nice - the snow birds are coming, the snow birds are coming! You'll have plenty to prey on soon! Lets leave the fellow JWD members alone - and give her the password!

Sorry folks, all these hurricane's have the natives restless!

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

So how are all you peeps doing down south of me??! It`s been quite the busy year for you folks. We`ve lucked out (*knocks-on-wood*) so far this season on the central east coast. We had the scare of Ophelia hangin` about 100 miles off the coast here for a few days!

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

3 hours North. Charlotte County. Greetings!

DY

• Alana
    Alana

I am mainly looking for things to do...that aren't expensive, will also interest a teenager, and are located near the Bayfront Park area. I heard something about a monorail in Miami. Is this a way to get around to various sites? I won't have a car to run around in and would like to stay within walking distance or be able to take some kind of public transportation.

• Nellie
    Nellie

Alana -

Here is a Mapquest map of the area - you will notice, of course, that you are near the beach - beach and teenagers usually go well together, are not expensive and can pass away a lot of time. Just north of you is the American Airlines Arena and the Miami Arena - both of these venues have shows, sports events, etc. Once you come down, or before if you wanna check ticketmaster, you can see what's going on there. Miami always has something going on, especially on the weekends. When you get down here, grab a newspaper and you'll find all kinds of free things happening at parks, etc. Calle Oche is famous for their Cuban activities, etc.

With just a little research, you can have a blast.

• Alana
    Alana

Nellie,

Thank you so much for the info.....I have already started looking up things.

• Nellie
    Nellie

Glad to help - you'll have a blast, I'm sure (especially if you speak Spanish)

• G Money
    G Money

South Beach, Ocean Drive and two blocks landward are nice for clubs, etc. For a bit of a mellower time, there is Bayside, an outdoor mall with everything and it goes off on weekends until 3 or 4am with live music, shoppes, etc. I had a blast at a Colombian salsa club but nobody spoke English.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit